Braircliff

John250

PR Founding Father
All this bashing on tracks (I am guilty of it when a track deserves it). Everyone keeps talking about Briarcliff, and the awesome track prep, etc. I am sure JO is a great promoter, and preps a track very well from what I have read. I have never been there, but hear good things and it looks nice. BUT.........I have one question. If this moto mecca is so awesome, and draws 200 riders to show up for practice, then why would you not throw in at least 5 races during the season so all the pro practicers could race with us guys that are out racing? I dont have alot of time on the weekends. When I get a chance, I go race. Dont want to just practice, like racing. Would these same 200 people not show up and race if you had 5 races? Dont about probably 80% of the guys practicing there race?

Guess I just dont get it. Why have such a great track that everyone practices on all the time, to never have any races. As a racer, seems like a waste of a good track to not hold races.

He is holding a race,I bet it draws 400plus....JO knows what he is doing...He is the master of promotion!

I think it's pretty simple. Most people in this economy want more bang for their buck. I can ride all day for $20-$25. Come and leave when I want, and I'll get more riding in the first hour than I would all day at a race.

Jon I understand that. But I am talking about him not holding races. And as MX315 stated he will have 400 plus, and is the master promoter. If thats the case, than why not have 5 races in D 11. Get the racers that are always racing. The guys that practice there all the time would probably love to actually line up and race the track they have mastered from riding the one track all the time.

I just know alot of people that are racing when I am racing would come over and race if he had races.

What I dont get is the competitive part about it....I wont race a track until I get a practice on it because I want every advantage I can get. And by practice I dont mean three laps in the morning when its sloppy THE END... If you're racing im assuming your competitive....if your competitive why wouldnt you want to come out and get comfortable on the track before its time to lay it down in the race.... Just saying And on a side note, Briar isnt like the rest of the D11 tracks with lack of prepping and a few jumps here and there just to say they have jumps... I feel like most D11 tracks are that way at least... other than COCR....And maybe DMC

And for the record, JO used to have his own series at Briarcliff.....i believe it was a 5 rounds series back in 07 or 08. Where were you then? As far as I know, after the AMA got their cut, the medics got theirs, and all other insurance issues etc etc it wasnt profitable for JO and its not only his track its his business so his rules...After all isnt the point of owning a business to be profitable???

Can’t answer all John…… but I think there was racing in the early years.
And there is a Race this year!
And ,Yes, it’s the most consistent prep that I have experienced in 40 years of riding.
Yes, it’s the most cared for obstacles that I have experienced in 40 years of riding
Yes for me, it’s that great……The A/B track is challenging and the dirt is fantastic.
Show up for the race this year. ….. You’ll have people to race…
One Plus during practice, is BC‘s multiple tracks offer riders / riding that may not be ready for the A/B track so you can bring everyone and they all have fun at their skill level.
Come join us. Once ya go, then you’ll know.

BC was AMA D-11 for a couple years, he dropped out because of low turnouts at the races and it just not being worth it to hold them.

We had races too early, 2007 & 2008. We were not ready. Turnouts then didn't justify the cost. August 26th is a test. It will weigh very heavily on our planning for 2013.

On a side note, we went away from racing because there was more revenue in practice. so we could improve our equipment. I would say that was a critical decision in our current status. We wouldn't be where we are without good equipment.

And i am not the master of promotion. Theres a guy in Michigan who smokes me. I got allot to learn from him. He's gotta a jumbo tron. I want a jumbo tron.

Yellow course markers from acerbis. Over 5000 feet of repeater banner. 10 round bale covers. Not quite a national, but its a start. We will have a stage to interview all MOTO winners. Complete with back drop with all sponsors on it. Working on getting the huge inflatable monster cans too.

And free stuff to give to the spectators.

I don't know if people liked that at Malvern and oir this weekend or not. Figured I'd try something different. Obviously wasn't my stuff but the sponsors kicked in a lot of cool things.

honestly i have no problem making the 3 hr drive to the cliff to practice, but i doubt id make the 3 hour drive to race down there. after all that driving and stuff id rather RIDE than sit around!!!

yes id do like 1 a year or something.. but in general "these days" id rather get more bang for my buck like JOn said

If they had practice Friday and a 3 moto format that's alot of seat time for me. I'd be racin. Can't pass that up. Don't care if I'm outta shape and I'm gonna get smoked. I'd race.

I only used to race a few a year the last couple years. All were Hand promoted events. And JO knows what's up, so I know it's guaranteed quality racin. Tried to retire from announcing but I like doing it. I'll just con JO into talking for a few when my moto is up.

Wait a minute...... Practice Friday, Mx Saturday (2 moto) and GP Sunday. Have an overall award for both somehow as well as regular individual event scoring. Epic.com

And uh wonder if you could pull a decent amount of solely spectators... radio advertise a beer truck being on site for spectators.

I just know alot of people that are racing when I am racing would come over and race if he had races.

This is just my "opinion" John but when people PRACTICE they can talk about how fast they went or how much better they are than someone but when you RACE you have to prove it and some peoples egos cant take it. :)

I am sure that will piss some people off but it seems that way to me just from being around the practice tracks.

John, I can't believe you've never been to one of the best tracks in Ohio. This district topic is so complicated and it's been beaten to death on here so I'll just say come on over and spend a day in moto paradise and see what all the fuss is about.

Back