Action Sports Grand Prix Championship Round 4 July 14th!!!

We had periodic steady downpours as we were leaving Heath, was hit and miss on the trip down, back into a steady rain as we were passing through The Plains, and were getting steady sprinkles as we pulled into the track at 10:45.

We had a rain break for the 11:00 green flag and pretty much throughout the first race session, and I even seen a peek of sun at one point on about the 4th lap. But almost as soon as the 1st race was over, right back into a steady light rain.

Anthony and I only raced the 11:00 session and the track wasn't too awfully bad. Very greasy in spots, and even some dry areas with great traction and powder dirt. Kind of strange really. Track got better with each passing lap. But we heard over the speakers they were taking out the big hill after the rain started again.

It was disappointing to only race one session and having to leave, but we both had later day priorities that we couldn't get out of, so one race was better than no race.

We had an absolute blast and we both intend to race all remaining Action Sports GP's the rest of the summer, and can hardly wait for the next one.

And despite KO's MX360 "lesson learned" I believe that he was on the right choice of bike for the decade class for a rain mud race because he had a lower profile sitting bike, good tires and gobs of torque. Like many other riders, I could be found on the track, stuck, struggling, and spun out and facing the wrong direction when KO and his MX motored right on by.

The big hill was only bypassed for the mini session. The rain held off for the rest of the day and the track had a chance to dry but there were still plenty of slick spots in the woods at 3:00. All was perfectly prepped before the rain hit. Drew hasn't figured out how to place a rain and sun lid over the track but he's thinking about it.

Mike, you may have noticed that I disappeared on the last lap. I had pretty much spent myself just keeping upright and slowed so I'd have something left for the 50+ at 3:00. If I could knock 50 lbs.off the MX (before all that mud layered on), it would be the hot set-up. All and all it turned out to be a great day of racing. And a real workout!

Maybe too old... I have a '74 400 Husky that does well in the mud. The 360 Yamahas are a blast when there is decent traction but become a handful in slick mud.

Too old....never as too injuired is the only reason I can think of not to race until the end!

Back