250f vs 125

#23_Racing

PR Addict
How are these guys on 125's pulling the heck out of the guys on 250F's. I allways thought the 4 stroke would pull the 2 stroke on straights all day long but have seen differant on the track. Also at alot of LLq's it seems the 2 stroke is in the front most of the time. Bike per bike whats the better one and why.

First, are you sure they are 125s and not punched out to 147 or something?

IIRC Ryan Dungy had one of the fastest lap times at Redbud LL Regional a few yers ago on his 125. Fast dudes can just go fast.

That said, i would think a stock 125 would be outperformed by a stock 250f for most riders...

I have also heard of Pro's 125s that could come off the gate in third gear hauling a 200 pound plus rider, so a good deal of power can be produced by a two stroke but it is delivered much differently than a four stroker...thus the famous Power Band of which I recall Purple being among the most popular!

if you can afford to burn through valves,valve springs,cam chains,heads,piston,crank and everything else that seems to melt down in a thumper..go 250f...if you have some solid jumping skills and a good running 144(because no a stock 125 cant hang) go 2 stroke!! seems to be a lil more whiskey on the 2 strokers.then again, im not pro

i had a 144 and have a 250f and no doubut the 250f is faster. The 144 1-3 gear is about the same as the 250f, but after that the 250f just keeps pulling strong as hell, the 144 is done .

Overall the 250f is better. It runs cleaner and has more power. If i had to pick a bike to race between the two it would be the 250f. But if it was 250 for 250 that may be different

Depends who's riding it. And stock can hang depending where you ride, and who's riding the bike. Plus, a 125 is way cheaper to keep running. We finished 6th out of 52 at Area 51 on a stock 125, with only 2 125s in the field. A kid from Illinois won his Area Q on a 125 against 250fs and 250 2 strokes. Locally a 125 is more than enough. Depends on your rider, and how much money you want to put into it. Chase Bell made his 125 look like a toy at the SE LL regional. JMO, and I do have 3 stock 125s for sale all 2011s.

Fun factor ....125 every single time.

I think I ride a 125 much better but I have never put a stop watch to it checking times.

IMO-- the only advantage is the cost related to the engine failures, and the upkeep. Bike for bike the 250F is so much easier to ride-- and has a better, and easier to ride power curve. It may make less peak power on a dyno though. The right rider can be just as fast on the stroker-- but they'd have to work twice as hard. IMO-- somebody serious about racing would have to take the 250F, or the 250 two stroke... haha! I don't like those monsters myself tho! --L*64

Now the 250 2 stroke can be run with the 250F's right? say schoolboy and 250B. If so then the 250 2 stroke puts out more HP from what I hear and would beable to pull the 250F right? My son rides the 4 stroke very well and since racing a friends 125 a few weeks ago he is wanting to get another 2 stroke so Im looking for the best stock power between the bikes. So the question now would be 250F or 250 2 stroke as long as they can both run the same class.

Not exactly true on Classes...... You can run a 250 2 stroke at Amatuer AMA events against 250 four strokes in the "Lites" class or 250 class (whatever they call it). But you can't run a 250 2 stroke in the Schoolboy class (Either Schoolboy 1 or Schoolboy 2). Those classes are for 125cc 2 strokes and CRF150R's only in Schoolboy 1, and 125cc - 144cc 2 strokes and CRF150R's in Schoolboy 2. You can't ride a 250cc 2 stroke in the schoolboy class through this year. But many very good amateur non supported riders are racing 250 2 strokes in the 250cc classes now since they do put out more power than a 250F and can be learned to ride faster than a 250F with the right riding style. Plus the maintenance cost between the 2 bikes for a season on a rider that rides a lot is WAY cheaper on the 250cc 2 Stroke. Hope that helps.

Didn't Mitch Payton say if the rules were changed to allow 250 2 strokes in the lites class that all his riders would be on 2 strokes ?

i would think a 144 would have an advantage over a stock 250f anyday.

I love riding my 125...makes you feel like a hero when the motor is singing and the bike feels so light...only downside is a reality check when trying to jump things that a blip of the throttle on my 450 would have done and I find myself pinning gears out on the 125 to clear same thing....but if I find the bucks and get the 144 kit maybe that won't be a problem no more...I guarantee my rib wouldn't be broke right now if I had the 450 on the same jump...just didn't have the timing and momentum right for the 125 and pinning it last minute was wrong idea

Perhaps this raises another issue of 2 vs 4 stroke bikes; does the 4 stroke make riders lazy and less aggressive riders because they dont have to work as hard to maintain momentium and ride in the power band like you need to on a 4 stroke? My son came up 85 to 125 to 250 all two stroke before I ever let him get a 4 stroke, which was a 450. Even though you could see that the 4 stroke was becoming the machine of the future I felt he need to experience riding a 250 2 stroke prior to going 4 stroke. I still think that was good and the right call even though he only rode the 250 for a few months. I think he will tell you that learning to ride the 250 made him more aggressive on the 450.

Tod leaf through the threads and read the motocross action article on 4 vs 2. Good read. Can't remember where it's at though, was hoppin on the main page about a week ago or two perhaps.

Back