Road Bicycles?

Meister

PR Founding Father
Anyone here ride the roads with no motor? I sold my cannondale pro v mountain bike to fund a road bike. For some reason I really have the itch for it (maybe to try not to be a fat ass and die after 2 laps on an mx track lol)..

Anyone got a 56cm bicycle they wanna sell or partial trade for a top of the line crossbow? I've been all over craigslist and come across a few deals. Id love to get into all carbon but holy cow, they're more than what I ride on the mx track! I want to get into something with atleast carbon forks. Only know this will benefit from reading all that I have so far.

So who's got what? Any suggestions?

I used to ride on the road but it is just way to boring. I get better workout in shorter amount of time on a mountain bike in the woods. And its actually fun

The woods wasnt too much fun for me oddly enough.. I get a more constant workout and dont feel like im going to completely die when im riding a road bike.. I just picked one up tuesday.. Got a good deal on a used Jamis Ventura Comp with the carbon fork and 105 components.. Had to get some essentials yesterday after work and then I took`r for a test ride on some back roads.. Seen Upperman hammerin a moto (kinda motivational to keep up this getting in better shape crap lol) then I got passed by Thomas Brown in his truck while out on another road..

Looking forward to logging some miles and hopefully dropping some lbs..

I've been eyeing up a Trek Madone 5.3. Dont really have the $3500 laying around for it just yet. I have been running just about everyday but boy is it hard on my 24 year old body.

I've been eyeing up a Trek Madone 5.3. Dont really have the $3500 laying around for it just yet. I have been running just about everyday but boy is it hard on my 24 year old body.

Look on Craigslist. You can find nice bike for about half the cost. And usually these road people really take care of them.

..And usually these road people really take care of them.

The racers yes, the tourist, not as much.

Mr Meister, I think I met you many moons ago through the Millers. You live back off State Street east of Greentown? I'd been on either a KTM300 or an XR400 back then. I also knew one who lived in Paris Ohio.

Bikesdirect.com is the only way to go! I have gotten two bikes(Mt bikes) and have not been dissapointed. Compare components on the bikes, and you will wonder how they are selling the bike so cheap.

Found a bettechio I might go pick up.....haven't heard much about em.

Did you mean Bottecchia? Good Stuff! Lemond use to ride them and depending on the vintage it may have Campagnolo or Mavic ( very desirable ) components. May even have sew-up wheels, these are where the inner tube is sewn into the tire then you glue them onto the wheel. I still have these type of wheels on my old Cannondale "crash a terium" and Cinelli fixed gear bicycles.
I still have quite a few bicycles but I'm more familiar with the vintage stuff.
pcpics039.jpg

yea, bettechia. Not o. It's a newer one though. They have a pretty informative website. But since my foots broke, I got other priorities.

Nice collection you have 1FoxRacing. I keep looking for a good deal on a road bike. Seen couple but I keep letting them slip away.

Talonrunner, what size?

1Foxracing, I'll be pedaling near your 'hood Saturday morning on a 100 miler from Massillon to Newcomerstown, up 36 to 416 past Mathias and home

If any of you live around the Wayne County Area, the Orrville Cycling Club has a weekly Wednesday night ride with 4 separate levels and distances. If you try and you like it, you can become a member and get a decent 15% off at the shop. The rides start at and just after Orrville Cycling and Fitness closes at 6 and ride til dark.

Michael - www.orrvillecycling.com (also a link to the forum, members have more access) & www.orrvillebikeshop.com

I haven't been on my road bike in years, I'm sure the tire glue is all dried out and it would need a complete go-over now. I whittled my motorcycle collection down to 11 bikes (from 17) and I can barely get motivated to ride any of them. I will be at MX 213 this Sat for the race, hope it stays dry.

Bummer, I have a campy equipped XL BMC SL01 in KTM orange and white I was thinking about selling.

I haven't been on my road bike in years, I'm sure the tire glue is all dried out and it would need a complete go-over now. I whittled my motorcycle collection down to 11 bikes (from 17) and I can barely get motivated to ride any of them. I will be at MX 213 this Sat for the race, hope it stays dry.

I sold my sew ups a few years back, my TT wheels are tubular and will need a new slathering of glue before the 1st race.

Do any dual sports? I got burned out on racing years ago and I've been doing dual sport rides on a 640A and 950A and go to the MX track to stay sharp

I sold my sew ups a few years back, my TT wheels are tubular and will need a new slathering of glue before the 1st race.

Do any dual sports? I got burned out on racing years ago and I've been doing dual sport rides on a 640A and 950A and go to the MX track to stay sharp
For tire glue I always used 3M fast tack trim adhesive, works great and fairly easy to clean.
The closest I have to a dual sport now is my KTM 450 SX set up as a motard, it's not street legal and has been on loan to a friend for the past 4 years. I know the DRZ 400's are good dual sports but I still can't bring myself to own a Suzuki. I still can't stand Kevin Schwantz ( was always a Roberts & Rainey fan) and until he is no longer associated with Suzuki I will never own one.
I love KTM's power but they are still kinda screwball to work on with the oddball sized fasteners and such. If I could find a nice XR400 I would probably get one.

For tire glue I always used 3M fast tack trim adhesive, works great and fairly easy to clean.

I use Tufo Extreme rim tape when it can be found, probably like the 3M.

btw, KTM doesn't use 11mm hex heads any more, 8, 10, 13mm heads, 4,6,8mm threads just like the Jap bikes. Had nothing but Honda's Ktm's, Can-Am's and Husky's since '79. They're all pretty much the same to me for wrenching except the shim/buckets of the 250 and 950 KTMs. Never had a Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki.

I've been looking at FELT bicycles. Are these decent?

Mind you, I'm not hardcore into roadbiking just yet. I figure 25-35 miles 3 times a week will be all I'll have time for.
felt-bicycles-Z100-BLU-lrg.jpg

This is the Z100, MSRP 809. A bike shop I went to quoted me at 709 out the door with 50% off upgrade for new pedals. The stock ones look crappy, and I guess the click-ins are the way to go?

What do you guys think about that?

FELT makes good stuff, the company was actually started my Johnny O's mechanic Jim Felt. Clipless pedals are the way to go, they are comparable to ski binding that release when you crash. In normal use you just twist your ankle out to release them. The one's pictures are comparable to common snowboard bindings that don't release. Add a good pair of shoe's ( I like Sidi's) and you will be good to go.

Back