Battle For Ohio 2012

Double D

PR Founding Father
Sharc, is that Mosher getting a dance from the hard candy girl? With a FLAG....maybe that should be in the vet section. ha

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
My intial thoughts for next year are open practice on Friday, qualifiers/heats on Saturday, band and pitbike race that night at dusk with lights, a mandatory shut down of all motorized vehicles and bottle rockets at 10pm, then 2nd motos on Sunday.

I think that is the a step in the right direction.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Pit bike at night would give us additional 5 hours, you can run a good lump of heats on saturday.. That alone would of got us out at 3pm this year....

Friday sessioned practice.
Saturday 1 10 minute sessioned pratice started at 9am. Get the heats/qualifeiers up by 11am. Race till dark or until all heats/consis / first set is complete. Then start the night festivities.

Plus I know you discussed having touch screens at sign up. If you had 6-10 on the tables I think that would smoke through the sign up. And with transponders the Staggered motos wouldn't be a nightmare to score. (i.e. 40+ and 40+ sport).

Had a blast. JO is insane. He tipped me ontop of what I charge to announce. (That's insane and not necessary. And he supplied beverages, and bimbo hard candy girls for the entire day) Schwing!

I could see it in your face you were unhappy with some things JO at the track, but dude.....given thte 91 degree heat and 56 motos ran, you and the crew performed justly and rightly so. Bravo. Man if every race was like the Battle of Ohio, I wouldn't practice nearly as much as I do on weekends, I'd be racin'.

006.jpg007.jpg017.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
Took a huge hit in the ass from the seat going into the corner after the double down in the bottom. You are flying down that straight when you hit that double, and braking hard into the corner. I also bagged the second 30+ moto,

I'm glad you commented on that big double down in the bottom, I believe them breaking bumps had to be a foot deep before cresting that mound before the corner.

On the other big bottom double (in front of the BC Stampede climbing wall), in the 40+ Sport class motos there were some doubling and some not, well in moto 2 I collided with another vet rider who didn't double, just as he was turning for his line into the corner.

Landing from that jump rung out in 4th gear, then hitting breaking bumps, I just couldn't get stopped fast enough. Whoever you were I do apollogise, didn't mean to hit you and beings it was a sport class, was entirely my fault. On a positive note, I hollered ("Sorry") and the collision helped me get around the corner better, but then I took a machine gun spray of roosting from a passing rider that I couldn't get out from behind.

I called after my 3rd moto as well. Contact lens's clouding up and couldn't see well, and starting to ride sloppy.

As I pulled in yesterday morning I spotted a racer in a sleeping bag in the bed of his truck, in the elements and the wide open sky. Me thought, "Now that's a Die-hard motocross racer"!

Had a blast, and glad we did it.

John250

PR Founding Father
LOL....probably not die hard, probably crawled in there late after a few cold ones! I had no intentions of riding sport classes, then after signing up some friends told me to switch to sport. When I heard shaffer was running sport, I figured I should run sport. I passed probably three guys over that other big bottom double. The one guy was litterally in the middle as I flew over it, and held my breath that he would hold his line. Dont think I will sign up for the sport class next year.

#23_Racing

PR Addict
Sure wished we could of made this event, sounds like a lot was learned and next year will be even better. Ohio needs races like this. Just need results NOW lol.Maybe next year you can pull in a sponsor like K100 Fuel Treatment, he suports a few Ohio riders and Im sure he would do something.

John250

PR Founding Father
What we need is about 5 tracks to step up and each hold one big race. Space them out for everyone, and run a 5 race Ohio series, with the final a two day race at BC. Then maybe we would have at least 5 great races to hit. With CRA, D11, D12 all having issues, maybe this is the answer. 5 promoters get together for one 5 race series, and each race has a rain date to protect the promoter.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
What we need is about 5 tracks to step up and each hold one big race. Space them out for everyone, and run a 5 race Ohio series, with the final a two day race at BC. Then maybe we would have at least 5 great races to hit. With CRA, D11, D12 all having issues, maybe this is the answer. 5 promoters get together for one 5 race series, and each race has a rain date to protect the promoter.

Its been in the back of my mind for a few years now. We are laying that ground work. I think we might be ontop something like this. Im sure there will be some talks going on this winter. I will update when I know more.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I'm glad that everyone had fun and enjoyed the event and it makes the possibility for next years event even better. I was bummed that I got 0 track time before heading to the hospital with my son, and he's got 3 big stitches right in the pit of his armpit. He crashed on his first lap of practice and the bike's footpeg got caught up under his arm as he went down....... weird accident that gave a weird injury, but that's just how it goes.

JO, I'm sure that you know many of the shortcomings that were already pointed out and addressed but one that didn't seem to come up was the fact that the "Sport" classes were out there not to be mixed with the real jumpers to ensure their sanity and safety. But behind the blazing fast +30 and +40 regular classes, the sport guys were getting lapped by the fastest / biggest jumpers of all, which is exactly what they tried to avoid by signing up for sport. Anyway, a 2 day more time format will most likely give the Sport guys a chance to ride on the track without being behind the really fast Vet guys who are jumping everything............. but wanted you to know that some of them were afraid of their other class guys that were lapping them.

The other thing that was missing a little bit was pit area watering of the roads, which is to be expected in 91 heat and trying to keep the track nice. But the top of the line tracks / races have a crew that keeps the dust down in the pits too as something to think about for next year.

I'm sure next year will be even better and would love a 5 race series around OHIO if that could happen, but am very happy that you took the chance on starting something new in our neck of the woods. "Must Do" events are hard to come by, and you are well on your way!

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I'm glad that everyone had fun and enjoyed the event and it makes the possibility for next years event even better. I was bummed that I got 0 track time before heading to the hospital with my son, and he's got 3 big stitches right in the pit of his armpit. He crashed on his first lap of practice and the bike's footpeg got caught up under his arm as he went down....... weird accident that gave a weird injury, but that's just how it goes.

JO, I'm sure that you know many of the shortcomings that were already pointed out and addressed but one that didn't seem to come up was the fact that the "Sport" classes were out there not to be mixed with the real jumpers to ensure their sanity and safety. But behind the blazing fast +30 and +40 regular classes, the sport guys were getting lapped by the fastest / biggest jumpers of all, which is exactly what they tried to avoid by signing up for sport. Anyway, a 2 day more time format will most likely give the Sport guys a chance to ride on the track without being behind the really fast Vet guys who are jumping everything............. but wanted you to know that some of them were afraid of their other class guys that were lapping them.

The other thing that was missing a little bit was pit area watering of the roads, which is to be expected in 91 heat and trying to keep the track nice. But the top of the line tracks / races have a crew that keeps the dust down in the pits too as something to think about for next year.

I'm sure next year will be even better and would love a 5 race series around OHIO if that could happen, but am very happy that you took the chance on starting something new in our neck of the woods. "Must Do" events are hard to come by, and you are well on your way!

Sorry to hear about your son. Thats a bummer. Yep going to a 2 day next year will afford us some time so we dont mix the different level riders together, even on a stagger. meaning that we can give everyone there own gate, and not have to worry about scrambling to get done. Luckily we didnt have any major incidents from that. Totally with ya rocket on the water truck deal. Me and Finckel were just talking about how nice it would be to rent a small truck to help keep up on the roads, its extremely nerve racking to manuever the Mack through the pits with that many people and pricey objects everywhere. Thanks for the input.

stumpy823

PR Member
Great event we had a blast I know everything that wasn't perfect will be better next year. And my fat butt will be in better riding shape next year. Some sandbagging in those sport classes I guess I'd rather get smoked in my right class then not jump jumps that I did in practice and get top five in a sport class. Thanks to everyone that worked there ass off putting on this event.

mblair

PR Founding Father
Stumpy you forgot to mention the undefeated corn hole championship!! That is where the real action was!!

efbride

PR Member
Gotta toss my big Thankyou to everyone at BriarCliff. My boys ran their first career races in 450C and College Boy classes. They are really sore this morning but can't wait to race again. They are hooked for life.

I also want to thank the racer who gave them a little morning start practice on the tent full of YA - HOOs that tried to keep us up all night long. My boys did much better in their motos after they learned the fine art of roosting a tent full of YA - HOOs. The YA - HOOs got up and left and went home. The one thing they did say about the nice racer who gave them starting tips, was that his roost still hurts and boy can he fly. You (ie: Racer ) Rock.

The place was off the hook and we are real lucky to have you all let us play at your place for the day. Thanks again for all the fun.