Transponder Rental ??

For me the rental cost isnt an issue. If you buy the scoring equipment I would probably just buy a transponder. But I know 4-5 of my buddies( who didnt race anyway for who knows what stupid reason this year) will definately call foul and bail for the extra $25.

Just my opinion here but I think you will alienate many many non diehard racers with the extra dough. Times are tough.

Us with the mx virus in our viens wont give a hoot about an extra $25

Good point, but those same non diehards also will not come as they do not like when the gate has more the 5 riders on it either. Not sure it would really make a difference. Actually might end up a wash as you'll get more diehards from longer distances replace the non's..

I'm in! ;)

What about looking into what the Arenacross series uses. They use some sort of Transponder that is in a sticker. You just stick it on the back side of your front number plate. No charging at all and it only cost the Riders 10 dollars for a transponder per bike. You can use all year long.

Is that the motosponder? I get emails from that guy bi-monthly. Its an RFID sticker. Its way cheaper too. I think the whole system can be had for $2500 with a roll of the sickers. I worry about how well its holds up in an outdoor environment, mud water etc. Plus how well does it stay adhered in 90°. I have been considering that sysem for awhile, but have been just too scared to cheap out, and possibly get burned.

http://motosponder.com/

Anyone have any experience with these outdoors? Woods races, desert, mx, anything?

I don't know the motosponder system at all, but I can tell you from years of experience that transponders used at Loretta Lynn's and the regionals changes every year or two years maximum. They come up with another sensor and you end up having to buy the next one (unless you bought the previous version the year before where they do a trade in program for like 80% of your money). I've had at least 6 different transponders from Loretta Lynn's and every time they have the same story...... "Well, the company stopped making that sensor so we had to update to the new one, but this one won't be changing so you're safe this time." And I shell out a new $100 and then 1 or 2 years later, I'm doing it again.

If there were a sticker program like the arena cross guys use that was cheaper........ and it works, I'd go that route because you could charge for the stickers a lot less and have less cheapskates bailing because of the cost of transponder in my opinion.

Dont burn this race out so fast. I do not think it will stop people from racing the event but I bet it will stir complaints and bad talk about the race. I hear alot of people complain about paying for them at big national races. I think your trying to move to fast on this event just settle down and get some good score people instead of trying to turn this into a national event in just 1 year. Alot of the problems that happened this year can be fixed easy and taking it to a 2 day race will take care alot of the problems. Just my opinion dont beat me up to bad.

Dont burn this race out so fast. I do not think it will stop people from racing the event but I bet it will stir complaints and bad talk about the race. I hear alot of people complain about paying for them at big national races. I think your trying to move to fast on this event just settle down and get some good score people instead of trying to turn this into a national event in just 1 year. Alot of the problems that happened this year can be fixed easy and taking it to a 2 day race will take care alot of the problems. Just my opinion dont beat me up to bad.

I agree. Good score people are the answer however coming up with them is tough. Plus anyone that I know that uses transponders still has manual scoring as the transponders are nice but not perfect. Scoring big moto's with people a lap down is what screws up alot of people. Going 2 days and getting people that can score and or who have done it alot helps. I found ones that score big harescrambles tend to mx score no problem.

We got lucky. Everyone is wowwed right now. I would be willing to bet that we will start losing people if we dont fix our issues. And I will not run another race without some sort of transponder system. So basically, its either I reach a compromise on price for everyone, or BC doesnt run any races. Simple.

Im interested in the stickers, but concerned with the accuracy. I have read a few things so far.

Let me ask all of the boo-hoers this, if it were a $10 rental, would change your opinion?

From looking at the giant motorhomes that filled the place, I doubt anyone that was there would have an issue renting a transponder. As already stated, myself and many others already own them so I'm all for races using them.

Racers that are racing big events already expect to use transponders. When I go to big events I cringe when they are NOT using them because I'm waiting for scoring issues and delays.

From looking at the giant motorhomes that filled the place, I doubt anyone that was there would have an issue renting a transponder. As already stated, myself and many others already own them so I'm all for races using them.

Racers that are racing big events already expect to use transponders. When I go to big events I cringe when they are NOT using them because I'm waiting for scoring issues and delays.
I guess this race already out grew Ohio racing. There are only a few in each class that want to Sep track of time the rest just want to race and be part of an Ohio championship. Why start a pole if you already know what your doing. It just seems its already starting to be a money deal. You have a chance to build something great for Ohio. Ever hear that saying Don't get to big to fast?

We came we raced and we really liked the track. We have never been to briarcliff previously and we would come for an event like practice and racing again. Its about 3 1/2 hours from us in PA. We experienced some of the scoring issues but your staff was very courteous and did fix them. This past weekend we went to Area 51 in NY for the Can Am nationals they had over 700 riders that they did not expect just like your race and they also had a bunch of hand scoring issues. I used to be an ama scorer for Unadilla, broome tioga and district 3 in the 80's and I think transponders are awesome and I am with the owner on this one. With all the awesome technology we have now why not use transponders we travel alot and have them and know from experience they r reliable. With all the money we all spend on racing this is a small cost for the benefit of the track personnel and riders. When you advertise and show transponder scoring that indicates a smooth running and classier event for all involved. I have seen more events turning to mxtransponder scoring and I think its a step in the right direction and I respect your bravery in making that leap. It shows that you care alot about your track and making your events top notch. Thank you

I guess this race already out grew Ohio racing. There are only a few in each class that want to Sep track of time the rest just want to race and be part of an Ohio championship. Why start a pole if you already know what your doing. It just seems its already starting to be a money deal. You have a chance to build something great for Ohio. Ever hear that saying Don't get to big to fast?

Please read this thread carefully. I have not decided yet. I want to hear from people about their thoughts on this issue. I am in one the following boats:

1. Rent transponders for $25
2. Dont Run Race
3. Find a better solution (old scoring, not a solution)

AND this is an Ohio race, only one racer from out of state win a class. My goal here is to provide Ohio with its own State Championship, a race that they can brag about to racers from out of state. We will move upward and onward. This thread is about peoples thoughts toward the transponder issue.

Let me ask all of the boo-hoers this, if it were a $10 rental, would change your opinion?

Not a boo-hoer of this but Im sure my boo-hoer friends would not object to a $10 charge. Next year they are coming if I have to kidnap them. I know Trent56mx will help in in the insuing kidnapping. Trent is the kind of friend who wont bail you out of jail cause he's there with you ! Lol

My opinion, run the race and get opinions on the less expensive transponder sticker system from people that have used it (both riders and promoters) to see if a compromise between cost and technology is available. $10 vs $25 extra actually will make a difference to some people, not the die hards by any means, but the on the fence people that you are hoping to bring in....... may make the difference between 400 riders and 500 riders or something like that.

You are going to get the 400 die hards anyway, but how do you get the extra 100 riders that are on the fence? $10 is an easier sell that $25 in my book for those on the fence guys.

It's called hard card. They are used in BMx racing. Steel or thick aluminum I guess messes them up more(just found this out). I'd say more so the aluminum because I used the same one all year on a steal frame. Could be looking into if it's cheap enough. They would give everyone a hot lap and make sure the transponders are working and if not they replaced them for free.

if you're worried about the quality of the cheaper solutions, have you asked for any kind of demoing? maybe they can set you up something to run at an open practice, and if it works, sign at the dotted line.. dont work, they take their junk back?

The RFID sounds very interesting. They will one day be on everything in a grocery and you will be able to push your cart past a scanner and it picks up everything. I would check with the national arenacross guys about it for sure. If it works outdoors I would think many tracks would be interested. But the arenacross guys would be honest and say yes or no if the application would work for outdoor motocross. The company would probably be more than willing to come out to the track to test also. Transponders work so that could be option 2.

Please read this thread carefully. I have not decided yet. I want to hear from people about their thoughts on this issue. I am in one the following boats:

And I will not run another race without some sort of transponder system. So basically, its either I reach a compromise on price for everyone, or BC doesnt run any races. Simple.

Dont take this the wrong way because I want to suport this event next year but some times how I say things come out wrong. But from reading this it seems like either BC gets transponders or there will not be another race. Thats kinda harsh to lay it out like that. You give people a great race on a great track 1 time then you say it will cost more next year or I wont have it. Like I said dont take this the wrong way its just how im looking at it. If you put the right people in scoring then your fine why spend the extra money? OIR never used transponders and they put on Ohio's biggest races for a while. Just cant fig out after just 1 race why your so hell bent on transponders.

Just cant fig out after just 1 race why your so hell bent on transponders.

To make a flawless event for us! Even OIR had issues from time to time with scoring. Any hand scored event has the chance more so than transponders.

JO is the kind of guy who is passionate about perfection ( yes there is that passionate word again). With 100X the positive over the negative he is still more concerned than ever about making it better. We should all be so lucky to have a track owner in our area with his drive for success !

I got this one......

BC is trying to put on the best race, with quality, accuracy and fun for many not just a focus group.
BC doesnt want to be another track in my opinion but the best track. The best is different for many folk I guess.

the transponders are more than just a way to score, it is also away to track your own speed and improve.

Besides BC is going to do 1 maybe 2 races a year. Big investment for one race. (dedication to our sport)

That is the only time you will have to use a transponder, and he has been talking about transponders for over a year!

Not speaking for BC and I am drawing my own conclusions. Sorry JO..

I bet you were one of the 2 cheap arse votes! ha ha

Adding transponders in a NO BRAINER. Nothing like being able to track/compare/analyze lap times. Be real cool to offer during open pratice days. Especially if the system included segment times as it seems most do.

Back