What if you could start over new?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
So lets say in a dream world you could create the next CRA or GLMX or any other sanctioning body out there. Just for Ohio Mx. What would you take from the current ones that you like? What would you change/improve? This thread by no means has any real intent so you need to sit down in your chair and calm down. The whole D12 thread from FMX Paul got my wheels turning. What if you started from the ground up, a mx ressurection of sorts. Please post all good ideas, and send the bad ones to a current sanctioning body.

I don't race anymore, but I'd say less races (not every weekend), so when you do have a race, more people show up.

What if there were 4-5 tracks with only one race at one track each weekend? Like a saturday Practice - Sunday Race setup?

That's a start.

Oh and Less classes. Or devise a way of making that freaking gate full with staggers. No staggers, run everyone one gate drop. Everyone has to deal with it. It's equally disadvantageous to everyone.

yep. id rather go to 10 races that were worth going to in a year, with big gates, than a bunch with crappy turn outs that dont mean crap. have some decent rewards for the series. nobody cares to go for points in cra anymore because its just impossible (and not really worth it) when youd have to run every single weekend, or even twice a weekend!

Oh and make sure every event has a joker lane.

A-B-C
Schoolboy / Collegeboy
Vet Classes
1 85
1 65
1 50

I do remember when I was a young.....that the 50 class was the 50 class. There was no beginner, JR, and SR. (Let the hate comments start.) There was no 7-9, 10-11, 60 class etc. One cc, one age division. You won't get faster racing 2 kids. You will only improve by racing 40 other kids to that first turn. And when you figure out it benefits you by getting there first......you might not be so blown away in the first moto at your regional.

If it's all the same, just don't score the little guys, or anyone for that matter. So we all win!

Also I'm a big fan of the practice on saturday.

Also a big fan of: HAve moto's go off at a certain time. One hot lap before the moto. (This way people can get there quickly and leave quickly.)

Schedule a number of racing in 2 hour time block. People come to the track within those two hours, they race there two motos and they're done. Some get there at 10am, some wont get there till 5pm etc. <---- Not sure if that idea can be successfully implemented but it would help to make sure people aren't stuck at the track for 10 hours...That seems to be a big issue these days. nobody wants to be there all day.

Oh and make sure every event has a joker lane.

A-B-C
Schoolboy / Collegeboy
Vet Classes
1 85
1 65
1 50

I do remember when I was a young.....that the 50 class was the 50 class. There was no beginner, JR, and SR. (Let the hate comments start.) There was no 7-9, 10-11, 60 class etc. One cc, one age division. You won't get faster racing 2 kids. You will only improve by racing 40 other kids to that first turn. And when you figure out it benefits you by getting there first......you might not be so blown away in the first moto at your regional.

If it's all the same, just don't score the little guys, or anyone for that matter. So we all win!

I have heard that class list from many people, but not enough people to make it the stand alone list. I think it would be kind of cool to have throw back class days, and bust those out for that. Call it Retro Mx Day!

It might just take something completely radical (i.e. class list, race times) to get people racing again (around here anyway.)

What if there were 4-5 tracks with only one race at one track each weekend? Like a saturday Practice - Sunday Race setup?

Since we're dreaming, let's race once a month not every weekend. Let's pick the best tracks in Ohio based on design, facilities and prep capabilities. Let's promote these events to bring in extra spectator/sponsor money instead of pulling from family members. Practice on Saturday. Saturday night there would be entertainment, movies, fires, bands. Race on Sunday. And these tracks would have a youth/secondary track to handle the youths on race day. Since there would be only 12 motos on the big track everyone would be done by 2pm. Cash would be handed down to 3 places. Points would get updated. Cool year-end bonuses handed out for the top 5 series points.

Since we're dreaming, let's race once a month not every weekend. Let's pick the best tracks in Ohio based on design, facilities and prep capabilities. Let's promote these events to bring in extra spectator/sponsor money instead of pulling from family members. Practice on Saturday. Saturday night there would be entertainment, movies, fires, bands. Race on Sunday. And these tracks would have a youth/secondary track to handle the youths on race day. Since there would be only 12 motos on the big track everyone would be done by 2pm. Cash would be handed down to 3 places. Points would get updated. Cool year-end bonuses handed out for the top 5 series points.
that's the radical we need.

I think one race each weekend, saturday practice sunday race..... Why?

Saturday you will get a majority of your pro practicers in, they have a place to ride if they dont want to race
Sundays you have your die hard racers.

Split the year end awards into a spring/ summer award and a summer/fall award. Then you can have people chasing points going to 10-15 races. Much more doable. CRA has like 120 races a year but only 35 count. Ive been complaining about that for 20 years...it will never change.

Give an iron man award for the most overall points in a year based on percentage of wins not just points alone....some c class dude always wins that.

More bling to each race...Like Chuck suggests. Get sponsors involved. Look at the CRA membership and attendence, its the 2nd largest in the country and yet they have no major sponsorship. No Team green awards, no suzuki bucks, no yamaha bucks. I think KTM used to give points based on CRA finishes. Then look at the support these 5 race series get from those manufacturers in other regions with one tenth the memberships. Its not right.

Some racers complain way too much. I remember back in '01, I was racing at Smith road. I was running four stoke quad and for some reason George stagger started us with vintage bike!! Vintage bike left on the first gate drop then us. I finished 2nd in four stroke and first in vintage bike. lol No one cared or complained. the bikes heard us and knew we were faster than them and moved to the side. If that happened today people would have a heart attck! I thought it was a blast. I agree with some of you, 50's race together,60's race together, 80's together, 125/250, 250 2strk/450, four strk quad/2strk quad, woodsmen, blaster/300 aircooled, and so on.... P.S what ever happened to the pro class that was 10 or more laps??

As a 50cc jr and sr parent, I agree with one class for all 50s . But let them ride the big track at least most of it. For us, we stay away from the tracks that have a peewee tracks. They usually small and half/a$$ed. With the consolidations of all the classes, it alone would make the "EVENT" not just a race, a lot shorter of a day. Very cool thread!!

As a 50cc jr and sr parent, I agree with one class for all 50s . But let them ride the big track at least most of it. For us, we stay away from the tracks that have a peewee tracks. They usually small and half/a$$ed. With the consolidations of all the classes, it alone would make the "EVENT" not just a race, a lot shorter of a day. Very cool thread!!

If only every peewee parent were as reasonable as you are! I could agree on a 50 beginner class on a Small track. The 50 jr/sr should rail the big track. WITH ONE GATE DROP. Not, for example, 8th moto and 9th moto.

Less classes would make for more seat time after it gets dialed in.

In schoolboy you could allow Supermini's. This would kill the grudge on the 1 85 class. Make it a 99cc-250cc class.

But lets get realistic here: Time and time again I hear parents of 85 riders say: "Well Man we get to them regionals and the gates are packed and its competitive, you can't get that full gate experience locally!" But when tried, people want more staggered gates and more and more classes.

Collegeboy and +25 should be on one gate, and it should be dropped once if possible. I think our local area needs more full gates and bar to bar action into the first turn.

Can't tell you people how many parents would say on he podium at the cliff: "Man this is the best event I've been to all year, the full gates and action to the first turn is awesome."

That and if there were full gates on every drop maybe more spectators would come and watch. Because lets face it, there's nothing exciting about 3-7 guys going to the first turn. It's boring. I wouldn't pay to watch that if I had never raced before. I'd rather go to Raceway7 and watch late models.

Sponsors and swag...check and check. Those are no brainers.

Now, lets talk about important stuff, a new organization needs a catchy name. I hear the American Motorcyclist Association has been taken, so Im at a loss here.

JO..One Race a weekend....ONE is the key,Take the best track,YOU and your friend Jason have 3 of them..Briar..OIR...WRMC...BEANS...Dirt World...Malvern...Maybe one other one....First Year No membership..Get the series off the ground bring in NEW racers,They will love not having to spend extra money...We all love it,If the series takes off...Then the following year you charge it.Split the awards up,Yes that is a great idea...Have a awesome awards party at the end of the year....And let all other tracks still have practice...as for the name....MXOHIO! Think BIG...You always do!

I agree, 1 race per weekend and not every weekend. Less classes would be great, but that will get everyone complaining. Less classes shorten the day and make full gates and better competition.I understand the membership fee, puting on a race is very $$ and that helps.

When it comes to the membership fee. That is where the bulk of the money comes from for the awards party and part of the awards. The other part is sponsorship material.

Back