What if you could start over new?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
That was cool.

Hands did it right by having the little guys done by noon.

@jo Double day events is what I meant. Seems like die hards want it but the majority want short race days.

nitrofish

PR Addict
This is another key, split the day in half, make a race schedule for the entire year, flip flopping the little guys with the big guys, so everybody knows what time they have to be at the track, if you want to show up at 7 and stay the whole day you can. If your race is late afternoon, you know you can show up at 1.

I imagine I am in the minority, but I have a son that races 65 and I am racing as well. I am not doing a Saturday race for the boy and then coming back on Sunday for me. Won't happen, we will just race the boy.

Race order is also key. Nothing like running the D11 fair races and having the 50 and 65 kids go after both 250 and 450 classes with no track prep! Those ruts swallowed the little bikes. Tough to work on basic corning skills when they ride around the outside of every corner to avoid the 12" deeps ruts!
X2! Common sense should be a requirement. I may be biased but kids come first. Young kids should not be racing after 10pm either, especially during school .

hershey

PR Elite
I have been to a few tracks that did the split program. It doesnt work. Amherst tried it too, it didnt work. Unless you are riding one class inevitably you are there for both sessions and the days actually took longer. The two day event for racing wont work on a regular basis either for the same reason.

Run the pee wees and 65's early in the race order then do them again last before intermission. For those parents who dont ride also they are out early. Then stick with the short class line up and we all still get out early.

And For leadership Jarrett has it right. Im not knocking CRA but in a constructive criticism way it would be nice if they actually listened to the riders and showed effort to make the racing more rider friendly, worked at major sponsorship from the big industry sponsors, worked at getting more national attention. No one on the national scene cares about a riders placement in the CRA points standings. Therefore CRA doesnt get the turnout of fast riders. Its sad that the 2nd largest MX sanctioning body is looked at that way.

There should be a set standard for track prep, facility maintenance and flagger training.

A class fee schedule I saw was cool.....$30 first class $20 second and $10 third or more. I think you will get more guys running a third class if it is available to them if it is only an extra $10. I know I would.

Still dreaming

baxterj787

PR Addict
...Now, lets talk about important stuff, a new organization needs a catchy name. I hear the American Motorcyclist Association has been taken, so Im at a loss here.

MotOhio?

Maybe create two different running orders and alternate between them at each race? Which classes? Well, we're gong to step on some toes. I will say this much: people should have the opportunity to race 2 classes on the same bike, at least on the big bikes. I loved it when we added 16-24 in the early to mid 90s. I was 20, racing a 500. I finally had the ability to race 2 classes. I like the idea of C / Beginner being any bike size and non-point paying.

Regarding memberships: Fees are a good idea to fund the organization and pay for any year-end get-together. Having said that , I think it would be cool to have 1 day memberships available. That way you could get people like me that only want to hit one or two races a year. The 1 day entrants would NOT count toward year-end awards. If you want THAT, buy your annual membership.

As said many times before, we need to get riders on the track, not sitting in the pits. Reduce the number of classes and / or combine them. 2 big bike classes, or maybe quad classes (where applicable) first, then the kids get a good clean racing / learning surface, then the rest of the program.

6-8 races a year. The facility that is racing should be the only facility racing that weekend. Open practice at another place? Fine, just no racing.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
NNWhen Scenic first opened they had this idea....they had all pee wee in the morning and all big bike classes started in the afternoon...This was way back in the day before the were even d12.

LOL, my first race at Scenic, i showed up in the morning, they were like we run quads at 4:00. So I went home, only 45 minutes, came back at 3:30. Ran 4 motos in an hour and half, and went home fullfilled. I loved it, it was tough.

Jon16

PR Founding Father
I like the no membership fee, even if its included in the racing price. I love the idea of a split program, but I also wonder if your shooting yourself in the foot. Would you lessen your afternoon crowd in the middle of july b/c at 1pm it's supposed to be 92 degrees?

I like the open practice after races. Beans would let us do that, and I felt like I got my moneys worth that way.

I still think racing once a week is too much. When the events are more "special", and not so often, more people will make a point to go to them.

If racing was cheaper, and I could ride more while there, I might actually race some again. But when I can spend 20-25 and ride as much as I want, it's hard to beat that, and I imagine it is for a lot of people. The long days don't help either.

Lotts24

PR Elite
One race a weekend with practice on Sat. would be perfect. I feel you can't create an new sanctioning body and try to compete with the CRA. Something needs to be worked out together. We are game for any of this and will support it.

Just wanted to say thanks to John250 for dropping the women's class. I can explain why we need the class but this isn't what the thread is about.

dmx153

PR Founding Father
I have been to a few tracks that did the split program. It doesnt work. Amherst tried it too, it didnt work. Unless you are riding one class inevitably you are there for both sessions and the days actually took longer. The two day event for racing wont work on a regular basis either for the same reason.

Run the pee wees and 65's early in the race order then do them again last before intermission. For those parents who dont ride also they are out early. Then stick with the short class line up and we all still get out early.

And For leadership Jarrett has it right. Im not knocking CRA but in a constructive criticism way it would be nice if they actually listened to the riders and showed effort to make the racing more rider friendly, worked at major sponsorship from the big industry sponsors, worked at getting more national attention. No one on the national scene cares about a riders placement in the CRA points standings. Therefore CRA doesnt get the turnout of fast riders. Its sad that the 2nd largest MX sanctioning body is looked at that way.

There should be a set standard for track prep, facility maintenance and flagger training.

A class fee schedule I saw was cool.....$30 first class $20 second and $10 third or more. I think you will get more guys running a third class if it is available to them if it is only an extra $10. I know I would.

Still dreaming

I agree with most of this although with some tweaking and leadership a split program could work. Excellent point about track accountability. It's pretty simple to see why riders spend their hard earned cash at Malvern, BC, WRMC and Beans. Those guys work their butts off to give us riders great tracks to ride on.
A few years ago I posted my dream series which consisted of Beans, Scenic, BC, Malvern, OIR, DirtWorld, WRMC and TV Land. I'm digging where this thread is going....

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
If racing was cheaper, and I could ride more while there, I might actually race some again. But when I can spend 20-25 and ride as much as I want, it's hard to beat that, and I imagine it is for a lot of people. The long days don't help either.

I think that there is an added value to racing, sure its $30-35 for two motos, but the experience is way different. Who gets butterflys in an open practice session? Buy the ticket, take the ride.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I think I would be wrong to alienate the women….just sayin.
Not sure what to do……but don’t push them away.

fluidpower

PR Member
i just looked at the results of 7 random women's races in the D11 fair series. No race had more than 3 riders.

fluidpower

PR Member

Still dreaming

Why didn't it work? The 2 sessions would be for the little guys and then the big guys. Schoolboy guys might run 2 classes maybe, but I doubt there is any overlap in the 50,65, 85 and the big classes. Before intermission is not going to work for the 50/65 if they follow the 250/450 guys. see my earlier comment about ruts.

I agree that less classes, a tightly run schedule and everyone goes home early, regardless if they have a split day.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
How is women's turnout in CRA? ...for the Battle?

Edit: I just looked, the Battle had 11 females if you count both classes. That’s respectable considering the circumstances.

John250

PR Founding Father
I think you definitely offer the womens class, but it is subject to the 5 rider rule like all adult classes.

Exactly. Always the smallest class, period. If the girls want to race, then put them in the class by bike size or age. Last time I checked NASCAR does not give danica her own class. I almost every form of motorsports women do not have their own class.

I like the 5 bike minimum. As for not eliminating the C class because of it being so many riders. I proposed the one beginner class, to get the people to move up to B class. I remember when there was A and B and that was it. A new rider came right into the B class. In the last 10 years we have added an "extra" class at every level seems like......it is out of control. Get rid of them.

I like Buckeye Amatuer Motocross (BAM). Whoever suggested it.

Lotts24

PR Elite
Track depends on women turnout in the CRA. Malvern usually has between 5 and 10, OIR always had between 10 and 20. At area 51 we had 20. It depends on the location and time. I can understand the rule of needing a number but don't eliminate it. Comparing us to Danica is not the same, that is a different level. I race to have fun and spend time with my family. Do I run an old guys class yes I do but I run women's because it is a class I can be competitive in and have people of the same ability and strength level to race at.

If I had to guess and I don't know you from anywhere but John250 does not have a daughter or wife that races. I can assure you if you had a 15 year old daughter and she just got started racing you would rather have her with a smaller group of girls then line her up with a bunch of young boys in the schoolboy class.

You eliminate the women's class and you will slowly loose the ladies in this sport. Guess you are following suit with mxsports cause they are working on doing the same thing.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
One race a weekend with practice on Sat. would be perfect. I feel you can't create an new sanctioning body and try to compete with the CRA. Something needs to be worked out together. We are game for any of this and will support it.

Just wanted to say thanks to John250 for dropping the women's class. I can explain why we need the class but this isn't what the thread is about.
Just offer the women's class. Minimum 8 bikes otherwise they will be put in to the next closest classification. Some days you'll have a women class. Some days you won't.

pasimp57

PR Addict
[You eliminate the women's class and you will slowly loose the ladies in this sport. Guess you are following suit with mxsports cause they are working on doing the same thing.[/QUOTE]

WNYR...

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Georgie if you do it that way, you might as well just not even have the Women's class. Can't do this 5 rider minimum crap, you either have the class or you don't. This isn't 1970, and it's also not 1985.

If I showed up to race +40 and there were 4 of us, and our class got cancelled and we got put into 450B class, that would be the last time I'd ever race that sanction body. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I'll go race somewhere else.