What if you could start over new?

pasimp57

PR Addict
Georgie if you do it that way, you might as well just not even have the Women's class. Can't do this 5 rider minimum crap, you either have the class or you don't. This isn't 1970, and it's also not 1985.

If I showed up to race +40 and there were 4 of us, and our class got cancelled and we got put into 450B class, that would be the last time I'd ever race that sanction body. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I'll go race somewhere else.

x2

hershey

PR Elite
I think that there is an added value to racing, sure its $30-35 for two motos, but the experience is way different. Who gets butterflys in an open practice session? Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Bingo....Id rather race any day of the week than practice. Its just more intense and exciting!

Georgie if you do it that way, you might as well just not even have the Women's class. Can't do this 5 rider minimum crap, you either have the class or you don't. This isn't 1970, and it's also not 1985.

If I showed up to race +40 and there were 4 of us, and our class got cancelled and we got put into 450B class, that would be the last time I'd ever race that sanction body. Sorry, that's just the way it is. I'll go race somewhere else.

I agree, just put them on the gate with another class....not staggered though.

hershey

PR Elite
Why didn't it work? The 2 sessions would be for the little guys and then the big guys. Schoolboy guys might run 2 classes maybe, but I doubt there is any overlap in the 50,65, 85 and the big classes. Before intermission is not going to work for the 50/65 if they follow the 250/450 guys. see my earlier comment about ruts.

I agree that less classes, a tightly run schedule and everyone goes home early, regardless if they have a split day.

The days just drug out much longer. And back then I ran 125B and +30. I was always in both sessions. It sucked big time. Trust me, it seemed like an eternity.......They would have kept it up if it worked!

Lotts24

PR Elite
Thank You Pit :)

and Georgie if you are going to make the women's class have 8 then all classes need 8 to run. There would be more than just the women's class not running. The plus 30 class at western on sunday had 6 so are you saying those guys need to find another class. If you use this rule locally there wouldn't be many running A class either cause more often than not they have less than we do. Let me guess you rule was only applying to the women's class cause I am sure you wouldn't want the A class dropped.

I am all for shorter days and less classes but come on guys we have ONE class can we just leave it alone.

hershey

PR Elite
I think that there is an added value to racing, sure its $30-35 for two motos, but the experience is way different. Who gets butterflys in an open practice session? Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Yeah!!! Besides if you drop the womens class I might lose Lotts Totts! Lol

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Yep agree with hershey, split race days don't work. Been there, done that at many tracks. Makes for a super long day for a lot of folks.

People defend this and say how nice it is to go to a GP race, do your race and go home. Sure, it is and I agree with that. But, GP's aren't exactly drawing huge numbers of racers.....why is that?

You need to make the motocross races AN EVENT, not just a race. This is accomplished by having standards that are practiced througout the organization which many of have already been posted.

Why did I go to Area 51 Can/Am race and do open practice, 3 race classes Saturday evening, and 3 race classes on Sunday? -- Because it was a great EVENT.

Living in NE Ohio, I can go pretty much any direction within 2-3 hours and race some motocross races. So, what are you, as a track or organization, going to do to create events that I feel like I need to attend?

Things I like:
-Coolness factor. Banners, signs, nice facilty, good announcing, etc. Things like that make me feel like I'm at an event.
-track prep. I don't like racing in blinding dust, and would rather stay home and work on bikes in my garage. Make an effort. Sure, it is always going to get dusty in the summer heat. But there is a difference and we can tell.
-organization. Keep it moving along. I don't mind getting home late unless I feel like the track was just jacking around half the day.
-Saturday practice. I think having Saturday practice, Sunday racing is awesome. Track can make some more money, and we can enjoy a weekend event if we are so inclined.

Things I don't like
-Dis-organization. Nothing worse than being at a motocross race, seeing nobody racing on the track, and wondering what the heck is going on.
-no effort - see above on track prep
-broken equipment. Sure things break. Be prepared for it. If your water truck breaks and you don't have a backup, who's fault is that? If you want to run a big event, you are always going to have issues. Prepare for them and have backup plans so these issues are transparent to the customer.

I've raced in Ohio twice this year (motocross). Mid Ohio Vintage Days, and the BC Battle. Why? Because I like going to EVENTS, not just going around the corner and getting a gate drop.

day181

PR Elite
Staff member
I'm still on the soapbox with split tracks. This allows for more track time for everyone on Saturday and Sunday, which is what everyone really wants. Depending on how technical the secondary track is would determine which classes go where. When I was in C class I wanted nothing to do with racing the cliff's AB track (in 09?). However Scenic and Crow's secondary track wasn't technical enough for C class but it was perfect for many of the mini classes. Fast traxx's sx track is somewhere in between. New Vienna has a pretty decent secondary track on the hill. Point is most tracks have these already in place or have the space to build one. There's your solution to seat time on a race weekend.

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Yeah multiple tracks at a facility are nice. Could you imagine going to a race at Red Bud and the peewees are riding on the main track?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Ten classes, First moto at 10am, Intermission at 1:15, Final moto finished by 5pm. $10 at the gate, $25 a class. Practice on Saturday race on Sunday. 12 race series STATE wide and everyone is happy.
One more thing, trophies until Mini Sr. after that gift certs for gate fees, sign-up fees, food, gas, parts, hell anything but another damn trophy.

50 15 min moto
65 15
Jr. 15
Sr. 20
Schoolboy 20
A 25
B 20
C 20
30+ 20
40+ 15

You can add other classes like oil inject, collegeboy, but NO MORE GATE DROPS

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Yep agree with hershey, split race days don't work. Been there, done that at many tracks. Makes for a super long day for a lot of folks.

People defend this and say how nice it is to go to a GP race, do your race and go home. Sure, it is and I agree with that. But, GP's aren't exactly drawing huge numbers of racers.....why is that?

You need to make the motocross races AN EVENT, not just a race. This is accomplished by having standards that are practiced througout the organization which many of have already been posted.

Why did I go to Area 51 Can/Am race and do open practice, 3 race classes Saturday evening, and 3 race classes on Sunday? -- Because it was a great EVENT.

Living in NE Ohio, I can go pretty much any direction within 2-3 hours and race some motocross races. So, what are you, as a track or organization, going to do to create events that I feel like I need to attend?

Things I like:
-Coolness factor. Banners, signs, nice facilty, good announcing, etc. Things like that make me feel like I'm at an event.
-track prep. I don't like racing in blinding dust, and would rather stay home and work on bikes in my garage. Make an effort. Sure, it is always going to get dusty in the summer heat. But there is a difference and we can tell.
-organization. Keep it moving along. I don't mind getting home late unless I feel like the track was just jacking around half the day.
-Saturday practice. I think having Saturday practice, Sunday racing is awesome. Track can make some more money, and we can enjoy a weekend event if we are so inclined.

Things I don't like
-Dis-organization. Nothing worse than being at a motocross race, seeing nobody racing on the track, and wondering what the heck is going on.
-no effort - see above on track prep
-broken equipment. Sure things break. Be prepared for it. If your water truck breaks and you don't have a backup, who's fault is that? If you want to run a big event, you are always going to have issues. Prepare for them and have backup plans so these issues are transparent to the customer.

I've raced in Ohio twice this year (motocross). Mid Ohio Vintage Days, and the BC Battle. Why? Because I like going to EVENTS, not just going around the corner and getting a gate drop.

Very nice post!

Now. Let me ask you this? Say you have the signage at every track, and the yellow markers and all that jazz, pop in a band, some activities for kids saturday night. At what point do you say, well thats been done, I need to see something different to call this an "event"?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Ten classes, First moto at 10am, Intermission at 1:15, Final moto finished by 5pm. $10 at the gate, $25 a class. Practice on Saturday race on Sunday. 12 race series STATE wide and everyone is happy.
One more thing, trophies until Mini Sr. after that gift certs for gate fees, sign-up fees, food, gas, parts, hell anything but another damn trophy.

50 15 min moto
65 15
Jr. 15
Sr. 20
Schoolboy 20
A 25
B 20
C 20
30+ 20
40+ 15

You can add other classes like oil inject, collegeboy, but NO MORE GATE DROPS

Did you see the Battle trophies?

hershey

PR Elite
Very nice post!

Now. Let me ask you this? Say you have the signage at every track, and the yellow markers and all that jazz, pop in a band, some activities for kids saturday night. At what point do you say, well thats been done, I need to see something different to call this an "event"?

I think everything you said EXCEPT the band, and sat night activities thing should happen at every event. Save all the crazy extra stuff for the big special year end Battle race. Or maybe three times a year. Otherwise you are correct, it will get common and the need for more will prevail

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Thank You Pit :)

and Georgie if you are going to make the women's class have 8 then all classes need 8 to run. There would be more than just the women's class not running. The plus 30 class at western on sunday had 6 so are you saying those guys need to find another class. If you use this rule locally there wouldn't be many running A class either cause more often than not they have less than we do. Let me guess you rule was only applying to the women's class cause I am sure you wouldn't want the A class dropped.

I am all for shorter days and less classes but come on guys we have ONE class can we just leave it alone.

No I'm all for every class having 8 bike minimum. I'm not anti-women. I think more should get involved with the sport. However Kim Kocher always raced us boys and didn't have a women class to run. It's been a problem for years with the women class. If more girls race we wouldn't be having the discussion. When you put the helmet on and all your gear, I wish people would see riders and not genders.

Its not only in women's class it's a bunch of classes! Seems like everyone needs to win or have their own competitive division.

Anybody see that Jenkins girl race a quad? She puts it to the men and looks just plain fast. For a while I thought she was a guy riding a hot pink frame.

When I go racing: I don't want to race 3 people. I want that gate full, and I want 30-40 of us coming into that first turn. If a sanctioning body could provide that in Ohio I wouldn't care about "the event"
All I would care about is the intensity of a race for that brief moto. I was so pissed at the cliff watching full gates leave the line and there I am with a busted foot. I wanna race people. I don't care about getting a washed up announcer class made up. If I get smoked then so be it. Do people not share this same idea of a race day with me ?

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Very nice post!

It has to be limited to a certain number of events otherwise it just becomes status quo.

If I were King, I would have racing throughout the season using the standards already stated like Sat practice, Sun race, etc etc. These would be the regular races that people wanting to race all the time could attend regularly.
I would then have a select signature series that we pulled out all the stops for. 3 or 5 races, all the bells and whistles. That's the stuff I would show up for and plan my season around as a racer. If done right this also garners attention from neighboring states, media, etc.

Oh and MXOhio is a great name, I already own it! haha.

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
If the event where a night race, I would schedule all PeeWee's, 65's, Trail Bike, Pit Bike classes first on the schedule. There is just no reason for any kid under the age of 10 to be racing at 11:30 on a saturday night. Race them early, get them out of there early, and let the older classes race last. Why does the CRA not understand this? I dont care if bikes or quads are going first that night, put the Pee Wee's first on the schedule.

Also, I would not allow a class with under 7 riders to have their own gate. You figure, three our four classes with low numbers and their own moto. That is adding on another hour to the night. Of course, expections would be made, can't run pee wee and senior together lol.

barrington314

PR Elite
What if there were 4-5 tracks with only one race at one track each weekend? Like a saturday Practice - Sunday Race setup?
when i did race, what i liked about the ama over the cra was the saturday practice sunday race.

i cant believe malvern hasnt done friday evening/night practice and allow camping over for the saturday night race. would make for a long saturday morning though i suppose. but might work.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
when i did race, what i liked about the ama over the cra was the saturday practice sunday race.

i cant believe malvern hasnt done friday evening/night practice and allow camping over for the saturday night race. would make for a long saturday morning though i suppose. but might work.

Im purely speculating here, but I dont think they can do that because of the CRA rules.