The new #4

Dude gets lapped at the MXdN and picks #4. Not really a fan of his anyway, but that seems a bit disrespectful. Nobody deserves to use #4.

The goat should of raced one national this year then. As Dowd was trying his heart out to keep his number....

I agree on the whole must be a 450 rider to get a single digit. I also would like it to go back to the numbering system by how you finish in the points the previous year. I always liked that.

I liked the old numbering system too for the same reason. In all honesty I understand why they changed it, it was difficult every year getting used to remembering all the riders new numbers.

Different numbers every single year was hard to deal with, because you don't know who is who then....... the semi permanent system is better as guys that are racing for many years at the highest level get to be the same number for a good period of time...... and that helps the sport out.

As far as picking #4, I think Baggett deserves to pick any number he wants, just pick one and go with it. It's just a number. RC will be remembered as THE GOAT because he also used a variety of Numbers over his career, just used #4 the longest.

And you can't retire #'s when every number from 11 - 99 is used every year, there just isn't enough numbers to go around.

They did retire #4 when RC retired in 2007. They said they would honor that for 4 years, starting with the 2008 series. Unless they changed something, someone could have been using the number this year, but not the point. With the current numbering system the way it is I don't blame Baggett for taking it. He earned it this year so by all means run it. Yeah it will definitely be weird at first but we'll adjust. And as far as McGrath having number 2, nobody seemed to make much of an issue when Villopoto took that. Don't forget that for the better part of a decade we saw MC with #1. I don't agree with the numbering system at all. Think of it from a merchandising stand point. If I buy a T-Shirt next year at supercross and Baggett has #4, OK that works. Five years down the road when he's still #4, who wants to buy the same shirt? Everyone will say, "I already have a shirt with him on it. In that aspect I don't think it makes any sense.

As far as the 25 points is concerned, I don't like that rule a bit. Don't get me wrong I like Dowd and think he's about the biggest bad ass on a bike right now. But I don't think he should be able to keep 16 forever. Yeah if he gets 25 points a year he'll always have a national number, but he didn't earn 16 every year. And Mike Brown has been a friend for years and years, but I don't think he should be able to keep 3 every year. I don't think very many people come to a national because Mike Brown is going to be there. Sure maybe Southwick's attendance goes up when they know Dowd is racing but it can't be by much.

I remember when riders switched up numbers between SX and MX in the same year. Yeah we had to relearn the numbers but how long did that really take us to do? If they want to make the rule that what your earned number is what you run for the entire year, switching it up just for the champions, then that's fine. But this is turning into Nascar and I don't like it.

I think it's entirely wrong that they counted lites sx points this year. They are called REGIONS and should be kept as such. There are guys that earned points in 3 SX races, didn't score any points in nationals, and have a number for next year. Jeff Gibson is an example. He has 96 for next year. I like Gibby and he's helped me out a lot over the years, but even he would agree he shouldn't have a number for next year. There are a half dozen more guys like that and a half dozen guys that should have a number this year but don't.

Since Dean won the championship last year, and Reed has won three championships combined, make those guys take 6 or 8 since that is what is left and nobody has, and let two more guys have national numbers for next year. Makes sense don't you think?

Not totally. Come on......dowd scores 25 points. How many guys running the nationals every week dont score 25 points? My opinion, Dowd and Brown earned their numbers, and should keep them as long as they earn 25 points. I agree SX lites points should not count. Obviously Gibson scored points in SX. Who should get the number 96 that scored enough points? Are you saying there are riders that got 25 points in MX that do not have numbers?

Back