hershey comment?

I couldnt resist.....

[video=youtube;M1vYj0E2Hr0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1vYj0E2Hr0[/video]

No time to investigate what the original complaint for striking was right now. Maybe monday I will have time. Im sure the truth is in the middle. One thing clear is the union brothers are all out of a job because they were to stubborn to agree on at least working until a real agreement could be made. Now they are all out of a job.

That video is funny! I never saw that movie but it sure does fit the occasion!!!

Don't blame it all on the Brothers,there were some Sisters involved there too!lol It would be nice to know all the details of what really happened...

I cant imagine that anyone would intentionally let a company they work for go out of business and lose their job unless it was pretty extreme!

Watch Zombieland some time. Its funny, a little stupid and sometimes straight up dumb! But it worth the watch for sure!

Care to explain what this means?

The baking industry is has it's own ways, as most industries do.

It's a very cost competitive market with a miniscule profit margin, with very limited growth and market expansion oppurtunities do to logistics and distance, products with very short shelf lifes. (except for the Twinkie :) ) (think Bread....shelf life 5 days then you trash it).

Depending on if they ship fresh or frozen determines if they work a normal weekly schedule or a schedule with split days off, typically Saturday and Wednesday. And the working arrangements can often be dificult on home life due to the demands of the plants needs. Most of the time it's mandatory dictated overtime.

Many bakeries are large but still family owned or family run and quite old. And if it's an old company that means you have third, fourth & fifth generation family members running the show and the business is typically a disaster because of that. Been there seen it!

This isn't the first time I've seen plant closure strikes in the industry and the distribution side of the industry, and can assure you the employees do their best to avoid it.

In this situation, the corporation has bankrupted twice in 10 years, and "even if" the employees gave in to the 8% pay concession and benifits cuts.........It wouldn't matter, it still won't be enough and the company will eventually close up anyway.

In this situation, the corporation has bankrupted twice in 10 years, and "even if" the employees gave in to the 8% pay concession and benifits cuts.........It wouldn't matter, it still won't be enough and the company will eventually close up anyway.

I still can't help but think that an 8% cut in union wages, and a reduction of benefits (which will mostly be lost in bunkruptcy) would not still be a far better scenario than the replacement jobs these people will be working, if they can find one, even if it only lasts another couple of years. Personally, I also believe the company could have survived had it been able to gradually scale down wages and benefits to their actual current market value with new hires had they been able to weather a couple more years.

to gradually scale down wages and benefits to their actual current market value with new hires

Yes, but not without a snag.
This is the food industry, supplying to mass public. Depending on the positions filled by the workers, it often takes years for an employee to develope bakery production experience and skills. Particularly on the mixing end. And you can't just trust anybody in these positions. It has to be responsible people with good thinking and decision making skills due to potentials and risk of foodborn illness.

In the maintenance and engineering side of plant operations, bakeries typically have some older low tech equipment, and often some very high tech equipment. It takes a competent maintenance staff to keep a plant in operation, safely and efficiently.

Low wages means you will have a high turnover rate. This kills a bakery. I seen this first hand as well in our plant.

Then you have sanitation overhead costs. Ever increasing ingredient costs with commodities markets all over the place. And last but not least, the costs of fuel in your product distrubution.
Most bakeries struggle to stay in business these days. It's a tough industry and a tough market.

To vote yourself out of a job is a difficult thing to face, but I do feel for these folks.

Hershey will be getting coal this year since he doesn't realize even Santa Claus is a card carrying dues paying member. :)
http://www.aorbsinc.com/

discoversanta2006300.jpg

Funny guy !!! A fraternity and a union just arent the same! Lol....

I hope anyway, I dont want coal for christmas!!!!

Sorry Sharc, you're on the giving end like alot of us. The free phones ( or free anything for that matter) dont come to our addresses! Lol

Hershey got the full story but in a nutshell
I told a nice lady at the gas station trying to scam me for gas to call Obama, he'll help you out:)

Dude, that doesnt do the story justice at all!!!

The mean SOB starts pouring gas in this lady's car because they are stranded , no money , blah blah blah ( Im sure a bunch of BS ) .. Being the nice guy Dave is, he gives her the last of his bike gas. He walks over to her car and starts pouring it in, asks her " Who did you vote for?" . Her reply" Obama". At which point he stops pouring gas in her tank and tells her ....(paraphrasing) Too bad ..... then walks away.

All you're gettin is 250 free minutes and 250 texts. Da Govment! WOOOOOOOOOOOhoooooooooooooooo! 16000000000000000 in debt (is that the right amount of zero's? Who knows....I know it's long and I'm not countin'.)

Yes, but you can get tons of them. It is not just one, they get multiple phones.

Back