Beans 11/10 11/11

So, would it be frowned upon if I followed my son around the track on his 65?
Normally, I don't like doing that because it can be unsafe and unfair to the faster riders.
He/we would love to get some track time before we have to spend the afternoon at a football banquet.
Of course if the place is packed we wouldn't even unload nor would we go out on the track when lots of people are riding.

I think it ok tommorrow carrot for you and your boy come on out. I'm out here right now working its going to be good tommorrow. Dirt looks prime for tilling!!!

Normally, I don't like doing that because it can be unsafe and unfair to the faster riders.
He/we would love to get some track time before we have to spend the afternoon at a football banquet.
Of course if the place is packed we wouldn't even unload nor would we go out on the track when lots of people are riding.

First of all, your money is as good as anybody's. Second, those so called fast guys will get over it. Remember someone had to look out for them at one point, they didn't come out of the womb roll'n fast like a pro. I still ride behind my son from time to time for protection from the occasional idiot. He's just turned 11, rides an 85, and he rolls pretty good. He went to Loretta's last year on a 65 in the 7-9 class, but there are still some jumps he won't do. For added protection on certain tracks I will follow him around when the traffic is heavy. I don't need one of those "practice pro's" scrubbing a big triple (or whatever) crossing 3 lines and trying to land where my son happens to be.

In all seriousness, it's sounds to me like you have it covered. Certainly based on his experience would dictate when you get on the track. If he has good experience on a track with big bikes and can hold his line under pressure, then I say go follow him when ever you want. If he still has trouble holding his line, I would only take him out on the track when the traffic is lite.

First of all, your money is as good as anybody's. Second, those so called fast guys will get over it. Remember someone had to look out for them at one point, they didn't come out of the womb roll'n fast like a pro. I still ride behind my son from time to time for protection from the occasional idiot. He's just turned 11, rides an 85, and he rolls pretty good. He went to Loretta's last year on a 65 in the 7-9 class, but there are still some jumps he won't do. For added protection on certain tracks I will follow him around when the traffic is heavy. I don't need one of those "practice pro's" scrubbing a big triple (or whatever) crossing 3 lines and trying to land where my son happens to be.

In all seriousness, it's sounds to me like you have it covered. Certainly based on his experience would dictate when you get on the track. If he has good experience on a track with big bikes and can hold his line under pressure, then I say go follow him when ever you want. If he still has trouble holding his line, I would only take him out on the track when the traffic is lite.

Thanks for your reply! My son knows to hold his line and I "pressure" him all the time, but being on a 65 he is "hidden" on the downsides of jumps. We want to be respectful to the big bikes. I have ridden Malvern practices on Wednesdays and a couple of times before the split sessions start I have seen 65's on the track with lots of big bikes. Quite scary! (My son stays in the truck and does his homework until it is his turn. :) )

Sounds like we'll be there Sunday!
Thanks again.....

Drew has been going to Beans since he was on a 65 practicing. He is now 15 and on a 125. We have never had a problem ever riding with the big guys. Everyone is always very respectful. Just a good fun track to ride. BJ always does an excellent job and will accommodate whatever you need.So to Carrot. Take your kid and have fun. I guarantee you and your son will have a blast. We love going to Beans and always have a good day of riding. So go and enjoy.

No sir not one bit. A huge part of this sport is father son bonding. It isn't unsafe at all. When I see a father behind his son I take note that the kid is a beginner and pass safely with caution. If the fast guys are so caught up in going fast in a meaningless practice and think what you're doing is unfair then they are imbeciles. I cannot stand people who treat practice like its a race and make dangerous passes for no reason. People have to share the track at a public facility so don't let anyone stop you from letting your son practice.

Beans is a great track and from what I've seen the riders are pretty respectful when it comes to guys following their kids around....you shouldn't have any problems and will have a fantastic time together !

Back