insurance

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
so where is everyone seeing the best rates for your bike insurance? i want to put insurance on the new rmz...

SO far looks like progressive is the cheapest. My home owners insurance is through them, kind of, but it goes through another company and that company wont cover it.. so I have to go through progressive directly..so no discounts or anything for bundling/adding in with that.

Also.. whats your thoughts on collision coverage? The rate nearly doubles when I add it...but is it worth it? Do people actually turn in claims for it? if I wad my bike up and destroy a subframe, exhaust, and set of bars, is it really that easy to just claim it and let them cover new parts? Last time I wadded it up that bad I cost myself about a grand+ in parts (even with getting stuff at discount) Even if I just used a $500 deductable..that would still be sweet. But it seems like thats too easy and would make to much sense..has to be a catch???

Most insurance companies do not understand closed course competition bikes. Collision is usually excluded. Mine is through Cincinnati Insurance where I have all my cars and house. They cover theft and fire only. It is $74 a year for all three bikes. I dont know of a company that would give you collision on a race bike if they know what they are insuring.

I pay $89 a year through progressive for comprehensive (fire/theft/etc) for a 2010 CRF450

Never bothered with collision.. I would just call them and ask. They can probably give you a better answer than any of us can.

I think companys are cracking down on the collision part. As in making it really expensive, or just flat out not paying. A couple years ago when side by sides came out you could get collision for 20$ a month go out and slam a tree at 40mph and insurance would cover everything, even aftermarket goodies. Over on the rzr forum theres becoming alot of people complaining about insurance not paying up for collision. Id stick to fire/theft

thanks guys. thinking ill stick to fire/theft.

cheapest quote so far is progressive at 105 a month, just for one bike.. and thats with a 1000 deductable.. wtf. guess i live in the hood!

oh and side note i do know someone that took advantage of collission and got to order all sorts of stuff for their bike from the nice check they got.. however.. it does say its not covering any organized events, practice for an organized event, etc... however i guess they cant prove it.

thanks guys. thinking ill stick to fire/theft.

cheapest quote so far is progressive at 105 a month, just for one bike.. and thats with a 1000 deductable.. wtf. guess i live in the hood!

Wow...$105 a MONTH...is that some kinda typo?! That sounds insanely high, hard to understand how it could be that much with just fire and theft?

sorry sorry that is per year!!!! yes per month that would be insane lol. while 105 a year isnt bad.. seems like people are getting it cheaper for several bikes than i am just for the one. guess its probably due to location.

Mines $99 a year with geico. Fire and theft. Was $180 a year, moved 5 miles and it went down to $99. They told me it goes by zip code and it depends on thefts and such in the area.

I had Full coverage on a yz125 Me and anouther guy hit in the woods he was on a quad. I neck my fork tube bent pipe pent bars any way progressive pay me likwe 50.00 a hr to work on my own bike. They replace it all with 250.00 deductable. They paid me like 4 hrs labor.
JUST DO NOT MENTION THE WORD RACE.

Thats hard to believe tom. One thing to consider, if your adding your MX bike to the policy that has your cars, street bikes, trailers, etc. If you make a big collison claim, then dont be surprised when your other policies take a jump in premium. My wife works for the broker that has mine covered through Cincinnati Insurance. Your agent really needs to get on the phone, and explain to the carrier that they is for theft and fire only. Once they take all the other BS off the policy, it is cheap for just theft and fire. I pay $74 or $79 a year for a '07 YZ 450, 2010 KX 85, and 2011 KTM 65. It is a little work for your agent, but once they do it, you get the stripped down policy to cover just theft and fire.

Ditto on Cincinnati, that is who all my mx and sport bikes were covered by. And just like above, either have your agent call or call direct to explain exactly what is needed, not a "preset" policy, that will bring the price down some...Also in my line of work, I am very aware that like was also mentioned, make, model, year and LOCATION will be the issues that jack it up....higher motor vehicle thefts, B&E, Burglaries in the area, higher your rate. Good luck!

I had Full coverage on a yz125 Me and anouther guy hit in the woods he was on a quad. I neck my fork tube bent pipe pent bars any way progressive pay me likwe 50.00 a hr to work on my own bike. They replace it all with 250.00 deductable. They paid me like 4 hrs labor.
JUST DO NOT MENTION THE WORD RACE.

see..that sounds awesome and would beneficial to someone like me who likes to wad their bike up real bad at least once every season lol.. for me it wouldnt be on my home owners or car insurance or anything, so i dont see how it would raise any other rates by making a claim.

ill probably just go with cheapest fire/theft i can find though for now.. can always adjust later. so far its still progressive at 105 a year. just got a quote from nationwide for over 400..wtf???? liberty mutual told me they wont do a dirt bike????

i dont think some of these ppl you talk to really understand half the stuff you tell them.

Back