Ö ~ Svenskä

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
Yes, I saved it..
On Monday afternoon I called up Andre at Coppersmith and we talked suspension. I’ve known of the Ohlins brand throughout the years and quickly recognize the gold anodizing of the Swedish marquee. Being in Moto, and seeing the add here on Pitracer, I knew that Coppersmith was in Akron and they have a long association with Ohilns.

We talked chassis set-up, theory, suspension application and real economics.

I know suspension is a personal thing and a set-up that works awesome for one person may not work at all for me. Yet, I’ve often wondered what it would be like to ride an Ohlins bike? Very intriguing and somewhat mysterious, any time I would see an Ohlins equipped bike, I wanted to try it out. Ultimately though, I never have gotten the opportunity.

The Nordic theory and engineering is tried, tested and has been tweaked through decades of suspension devotion while the craftsmanship is aerospace solid . Add the notion that an attractive, tall, blond, blue-eyed Scandinavian beauty may handle my shock, just adds to the allure. As we spoke, it became obvious that even though I’m over 50 years old, I’m still mad about MX and in my perpetual quest for moto nirvana this would be a perfect time to try out a set of Swedish sticks.

After checking up what Ohlins recommends for the 13 RMZ, Andre offered me a smoking Cycle Show Deal. It was around 2:00 on Monday when I took the plunge and ordered up a full set of Ohlins Suspension. I would be getting a TTX44 Shock and a set of RXF 48 Forks complete with TTX Cartridge. They would come valved for my weight with matching Ohlins springs.

Over the phone I gave Andre my measurements and how/ were I ride. He said it would take a little longer because of a Cycle Show surge but reassured that few days should do it. On Thursday at 4:00 I got a call saying my Swedish Made - Akron Tuned Custom Suspension was done and ready to go!
After work on Friday, I found the nicely kept Coppersmith store front on Main Street easy enough and anxiously dashed inside. I met Andre, Ed and Thom working and was taken for a tour of the suspension lab. The lab was a well lit, pristine clean service area that has a slick Shock vacuum pump, custom benches with custom Shock / Fork vices. On the walls, hanging bin shelving contain rows after row of new parts. Shock springs, Fork springs, bottom out bumpers, tubes, bodies and even fork lugs. Pretty much everything needed to build custom suspension from the ground up. All of it Very, Very nice!

I looked around some more asking a bunch of questions and since Ed was wrapping up a few things he was working on, he took some time and showed me how the Ohlins stuff is built and how it works.

Andre and I went over the Ohlins set-up manual, my spec-sheets and individual bike set-up. He asked that I call and give him my sag numbers so he could up-date my profile. I agreed, and with that I loaded up the two beautiful Swedish boxes into my truck and hurried home.

Everything was boxed up real nice.

043.jpg072.jpg

You can tell things are specific, coded and checked.

046.jpg

068.jpg

Opening the boxes and feeling the Scandinavian love

056.jpg
085.jpg
060.jpg

Both forks and shock are set for me.

062.jpg
083.jpg

With closer inspection the unique design and outstanding craftsmanship becomes evident in every detail of both the sock and forks. Every thing is nicely machined, the use of multiple hard coatings used throughout is obvious and interchangeable components are engraved.

087.jpg
063.jpg

The Ohlins manuals are product specific for my 2013 RMZ. Starting with a chapter covering product design and options, it then goes into install instructions and tips. Proper chassis measurements math and diagrams are included in the next chapter to double check that everything is correct. The spec sheets are custom for me. They list me, my bike, my riding, the individual components used, spring rates, preload settings, sag settings, clicker settings and even torque specs for all the bolts

091.jpg
050.jpg

Checking out some pretty anodizing and intricate engraving detail.

092.jpg
095.jpg
097.jpg
098.jpg

That’s it for now……so far this Ohlins experience has been awesome to say the least and my excitement is off the hook. I can’t wait to slip the new jewels on the Suzy ….More on the install next..

Sweet looking pieces Sharc, will be looking forward to hearing if they ride as factory as it looks.

The manuals go into detail about the design and functions of twin-tube concept. I find this approach to damping extremely fascinating and can’t wait to try it out. After Ed showed me inside a shock at the Coppersmith lab and then having these diagrams and explanations has really peaked my interest.

034.jpg
038.jpg

Before install I took the opportunity to put each of the assembled components on the scale and then compare them to the stock units. Much to my delight I found some interesting things.
Rumor always had it that Ohlins shocks are heavy. They look jumbo and some say made from steel. The scale says otherwise with a nice weight savings!

Stock Shock = 4.5 kg
013.jpg

Ohlins Shock = 3.2 kg
014.jpg

I figured the forks would for sure be heaver than stock. Considering they are old school, tired and true dual spring set-up units and are pitted against the one of the latest offerings out there, the Showa SFF forks (spare the Air please)
On the scale they hold their own very nicely! Pushing back the notion that one spring is lighter than two. So both components coming in with weight savings.

Stock Forks = 9.4 kg
015.jpg

Ohlins Forks = 8.8 kg
016.jpg

Shock install went butter smooth. The bearing at the top had a nice precision fit.
017.jpg

Fitting up the front end.

029.jpg
030.jpg

Looking down the bars..

0471.jpg
104.jpg

Cool details like axle lugs that are off-set so you cant jamb the torque wrench against the disk while tightening.

109.jpg

The quality is obvious.

0531.jpg

It all went together super smooth…no issues whatsoever. I’m stoked with the whole thing so far.
Can’t wait to try it out at Monster Mt. in a few weeks.
My Sexy Scandinavian named Suzy...

009.jpg

It looks like all the parts have been tumbled to take off any sharp corners to prevent stress cracks.
Very much like aerospace proceedures. Gotto try em out!

It looks like all the parts have been tumbled to take off any sharp corners to prevent stress cracks.
Very much like aerospace proceedures. Gotto try em out!

If you try some out then we know for sure they will be tumbled!

Your going to like that stuff. I bought it last year for one of my bikes, and it is indeed lighter, as you have shown. It makes the Yamaha, which I think turns well, turn like a Suzuki RM. The fit and precision of the components make it feel very, very well planted and transfers how the front wheel is connected to the ground. I wouldn't buy another set, but if I was a pro, I would. At 53, I just wanted the best bump absorption possible to run with my kid, and still run with top 5 B riders on practice days. I have flat landed big landings on it and it soaks them up very well. If you have ever gone to Tomahawk, I can flatland that big Table top 3 straights after the start.. It isn't faster, but I can do it. No my ankles or wrist didn't hurt at all.

The bike only performs better when pushed hard, otherwise it isn't worth the extra money over a valve job.

IMG_20120826_210929.jpg

Make sure You only torque the pinch bolts to 15 NM, not 15 Ft/LBS. I guess it has something to do with the precise fit. I'm sure you read all that stuff.......

That guy at Coppersmith must have had a change of heart, because last year he tried to talk me out of that stuff. I went elsewhere.
I think he had a bad relationship with Ohlins. Glad he changed his mind
He seemed very knowledgeable, just didn't want to do Ohlins???
Who knows. Maybe it was something with the wife???

Hey Sharc nice job on putting this thread together. Stuff looks sweet and cannot wait to hear your thoughts. I heard you have a Kaw for sale??? Lol

Looks good, i have always wandered how they work. Has anyone asked what a set up like this costs? Is it comparable to an a-kit from factory connection or another company

Bump, Here it is.

I paid for mine today, should have it Friday.

C dudak Sharc owes us a full report.

Back