Ö ~ Svenskä

not having to listen to me cry for 13 hours on the way home how I hate my suspension.

Priceless.

First ride report Ohlins Suspension :

After putting everything back together I checked my sag numbers with both front and rear falling right within spec.
I then did the standard “push test” which consists of having the bike on a flat, level surface and placing both hands in the crook or attack position of the seat and pushing down. This test gives a good indication of how balanced the front and rear are to each other. Ultimately, the bike should go up and down while remaining level and parallel with the ground.
The Ohlins equipment passed the push test with ease. By just doing a few simple tests in the garage I could tell the bikes movements were very smooth and fluid.

Ready to Ride :
I was able to spend 3 days riding the Ohlins equipped RMZ at Monster Mt. in Alabama. During that time, the hour meter went from 14.1 to 20.2 putting a total time of 6.1 hrs. on the suspension. On the first day the main track was closed in preparation for tomorrows riding so that left us with the GP track and the Turn Track to use. Everyone got geared up and we headed over to the GP track.
I fired up the Suzy with much excitement and a bit of reservation because even with all the hype surrounding the Ohlins brand, I figured with the stuff being brand new that some time would be needed to settle in the springs and components before any opinions or adjustments could / should be made. So with that I straddled the bike and headed off across the pits.
As I let out the clutch, I heard Pit Racer in the back of my head saying “ I can tell in one minute by just riding across the pits if this suspension may work for me or not.”
Now, That’s not suggesting that by cruzing in first gear is any indication of how the bike will absorb a botched triple or react during a high speed swap but at my age and speed, I often find myself going just about that fast when tying to wrestle the 250 lb. pig into an inside line. Let’s face it, if I feel the choppiness in the pits, I’ll feel it when out on the track because at times I’m going basically the same speeds.

Monster had received about 5” of rain just before we got there, so quite a bit of erosion had happened and the pits alone provided plenty things for a “going slow test”. I spotted a few deep crevasses gouged into the side of a small hill and went straight for them. …with slow speed and steady throttle, I braced myself for the worst…. but really felt nothing much. Maybe they were soft? or maybe I missed them? I looked back real quick to see my tire tracks going directly over them. Sweet!… 30 seconds into my test and so far-so good!

I kept looking for bigger and deeper stuff. I’d line myself up and roll through the section with a steady hand. At slow speeds the action was very smooth yet firm enough and rock solid. It never jerked the bars or sent a spike to my wrists. Awesome!

On to the track :
Most of the GP track was freshly tilled and soft from all the rain. Up top it had a high speed, choppy left hand sweeper that was left untouched and climbing up to that sweeper is a high speed hill that gets pretty bombed as well. Both sections were handled with such sweetness that I wasn’t sure what I was feeling.
Being a front end high flier, I am quite familiar with the harsh spike felt when slapping down the front end and the GP track has a flat landing single that I kept pushing because the Ohlins sucked it all up with such supple smoothness…..Yep, a couple laps in and so far-so good.

With heart racing and lungs panting it was time to head back to the pits because….well, I’m 50 and I was exhausted from both exercise and anxiety …

I was grinning from ear to ear and quite please while I motored down the road towards the trailer. I was trying to make sense of all the different feelings I had when I spotted some deep, V’ed out rain ruts just off the side of the road. They looked pretty nasty with rocks and everything ….I got super excited, veered off the main road and headed right for them…!?!?

How about that? Me! going towards a bump even after being tired.
Do I really like hitting bumps now? …..maybe.

Rather than sit here and go through my experience section by section and drone on and on, I’ll wrap my first ride with the Ohlins.

I was able to put 6.1 hrs.on the bike. In that time, I had some of the most fun ever on a dirt bike and I also learned a lot of things. I learned that suspension testing is hard to do, a least for me it is. It takes a lot of time and a lot of strength. With the Ohlins, I would make a single clicker adjustment and the bike would take on a noticeable change. I would have to hit the section over and over for a control measure and that got tiresome, plus I wanted to ride too, not just pound out sections.

I’m not done playing with settings yet….not even close.

So far, my time with the Ohilns has been very enjoyable. They make the bike have a nice “planted to the ground” feeling. I find them soft enough at slow speeds while still being firm enough for big hits. Their action is ultra smooth, very fluid and supple. Adjustment wise, they’re very responsive to clicker changes.

At the end of the day I found myself tired from riding a ton of laps rather than from being beat up by the bike. On the last lap of the last day of our Monster trip I found myself reflecting as I climbed the big hill one last time. ......

......Tired, hungry, and spent, my muscles were sore and ass was on fire but I was happy, very happy. During this trip I rode confident and in control. I felt connected to my machine and never hesitated taking a blown out line or bombing a section pinned simply because my joints ached or my bike would misbehave …..nope, not this trip.

Those are the kind of improvements that keep this 50 year old wanting more time on the track.
Ö ~ Svenskä!

I gotta get back on track. Sold my 450 couple years ago and got back on two stroke... now I want another 4 stroke with sweet suspension.....

First ride report Ohlins Suspension :

After putting everything back together I checked my sag numbers with both front and rear falling right within spec.
I then did the standard “push test” which consists of having the bike on a flat, level surface and placing both hands in the crook or attack position of the seat and pushing down. This test gives a good indication of how balanced the front and rear are to each other. Ultimately, the bike should go up and down while remaining level and parallel with the ground.
The Ohlins equipment passed the push test with ease. By just doing a few simple tests in the garage I could tell the bikes movements were very smooth and fluid.

Ready to Ride :
I was able to spend 3 days riding the Ohlins equipped RMZ at Monster Mt. in Alabama. During that time, the hour meter went from 14.1 to 20.2 putting a total time of 6.1 hrs. on the suspension. On the first day the main track was closed in preparation for tomorrows riding so that left us with the GP track and the Turn Track to use. Everyone got geared up and we headed over to the GP track.
I fired up the Suzy with much excitement and a bit of reservation because even with all the hype surrounding the Ohlins brand, I figured with the stuff being brand new that some time would be needed to settle in the springs and components before any opinions or adjustments could / should be made. So with that I straddled the bike and headed off across the pits.
As I let out the clutch, I heard Pit Racer in the back of my head saying “ I can tell in one minute by just riding across the pits if this suspension may work for me or not.”
Now, That’s not suggesting that by cruzing in first gear is any indication of how the bike will absorb a botched triple or react during a high speed swap but at my age and speed, I often find myself going just about that fast when tying to wrestle the 250 lb. pig into an inside line. Let’s face it, if I feel the choppiness in the pits, I’ll feel it when out on the track because at times I’m going basically the same speeds.

Monster had received about 5” of rain just before we got there, so quite a bit of erosion had happened and the pits alone provided plenty things for a “going slow test”. I spotted a few deep crevasses gouged into the side of a small hill and went straight for them. …with slow speed and steady throttle, I braced myself for the worst…. but really felt nothing much. Maybe they were soft? or maybe I missed them? I looked back real quick to see my tire tracks going directly over them. Sweet!… 30 seconds into my test and so far-so good!

I kept looking for bigger and deeper stuff. I’d line myself up and roll through the section with a steady hand. At slow speeds the action was very smooth yet firm enough and rock solid. It never jerked the bars or sent a spike to my wrists. Awesome!

On to the track :
Most of the GP track was freshly tilled and soft from all the rain. Up top it had a high speed, choppy left hand sweeper that was left untouched and climbing up to that sweeper is a high speed hill that gets pretty bombed as well. Both sections were handled with such sweetness that I wasn’t sure what I was feeling.
Being a front end high flier, I am quite familiar with the harsh spike felt when slapping down the front end and the GP track has a flat landing single that I kept pushing because the Ohlins sucked it all up with such supple smoothness…..Yep, a couple laps in and so far-so good.

With heart racing and lungs panting it was time to head back to the pits because….well, I’m 50 and I was exhausted from both exercise and anxiety …

I was grinning from ear to ear and quite please while I motored down the road towards the trailer. I was trying to make sense of all the different feelings I had when I spotted some deep, V’ed out rain ruts just off the side of the road. They looked pretty nasty with rocks and everything ….I got super excited, veered off the main road and headed right for them…!?!?

How about that? Me! going towards a bump even after being tired.
Do I really like hitting bumps now? …..maybe.

Rather than sit here and go through my experience section by section and drone on and on, I’ll wrap my first ride with the Ohlins.

I was able to put 6.1 hrs.on the bike. In that time, I had some of the most fun ever on a dirt bike and I also learned a lot of things. I learned that suspension testing is hard to do, a least for me it is. It takes a lot of time and a lot of strength. With the Ohlins, I would make a single clicker adjustment and the bike would take on a noticeable change. I would have to hit the section over and over for a control measure and that got tiresome, plus I wanted to ride too, not just pound out sections.

I’m not done playing with settings yet….not even close.

So far, my time with the Ohilns has been very enjoyable. They make the bike have a nice “planted to the ground” feeling. I find them soft enough at slow speeds while still being firm enough for big hits. Their action is ultra smooth, very fluid and supple. Adjustment wise, they’re very responsive to clicker changes.

At the end of the day I found myself tired from riding a ton of laps rather than from being beat up by the bike. On the last lap of the last day of our Monster trip I found myself reflecting as I climbed the big hill one last time. ......

......Tired, hungry, and spent, my muscles were sore and ass was on fire but I was happy, very happy. During this trip I rode confident and in control. I felt connected to my machine and never hesitated taking a blown out line or bombing a section pinned simply because my joints ached or my bike would misbehave …..nope, not this trip.

Those are the kind of improvements that keep this 50 year old wanting more time on the track.
Ö ~ Svenskä!

Wow. I want a set. Imagine how those suckers feel in the hands of a 26 year old...

Wow. I want a set. Imagine how those suckers feel in the hands of a 26 year old...

There are some things that you have to age gracefully to get the full effect of....... it would be wasted on a 26 year old! LOL. Good for you Sharc, glad to see that it has made your riding more enjoyable, that's the name of the game in the Vet Classes. Enjoyment.

Bow Chica Bow Wow!

GregaOhlins001.jpgGregaOhlins002.jpgGregaOhlins003.jpg

Back