More Bikes stolen 2-22-2013 Aurora, OH

I had a call about a CL add for a used dirt bike helmet yesterday that seemed sketchy. The guy spoke with an obvious inner city slang ( red flag #1); he was calling about a helmet ( I have never seen a video of inner city peeps riding with helmets Red flag #2), I asked him what size helmet he usually wears and he had had no idea (red flag #3), he was very adament about comming to my house to pick it up and I said no he could meet me at my work and of course he never showed. It is obvious that these crooks have been comming to people's houses to see what they have when there is a motorcycle advertized; I am thinking that now they may figure that if Im selling a dirt bike helmet then I also have a dirt bike at home and that may have been the motive all along. Just be aware of anybody responding to a CL add.

Yeah, Been a couple yrs back but same thing hear. I had a bike and a Toyota pickup on CL at same time. The A$$ came to look at the truck but, some how got to talkin about bikes. For 20 minutes and begged me to let him take the bike for a spin. The whole thing with this guy smelled fishy, But seemed Innocent enough with his girl sitting in the drive in a "white" truck. I guarantee he would have left not came back. Girlfriend would have gotten worried and went to look for him and by the time I had figured it out well... Tuff for me! By the way, "before even test driving the truck", he was for sure going to buy the truck. He never came back!
Fortunately they got caught a couple months late. They were part of the theft ring form OHIO, NY, and Texas the FBI had busted.
These people are very adept at being thieves and scammers.

IF it doesn't feel right, trust your instincts. I would rather inconvenience someone, hurt someones feelings or even be rude than allow myself to be a victim.

2 of the 3 bikes were recovered by the cleveland police, The 05 yz 250 and the 07 crf150r. The 2010 crf250r is still missing

2 of the 3 bikes were recovered by the cleveland police, The 05 yz 250 and the 07 crf150r. The 2010 crf250r is still missing

Fantastic news. That's pretty much best case scenario. If they find the third, you are a very lucky human being.

well that is great news! i figure police would take a report, put something into motion and forget about it in a few days. its cool to hear these stories bout the bikes being recovered, tho it sucks they were stolen in the first place.

well that is great news! i figure police would take a report, put something into motion and forget about it in a few days. its cool to hear these stories bout the bikes being recovered, tho it sucks they were stolen in the first place.

Great to hear that they recovered the two bikes!

Not wanting to rain on the PD's moment of glory here, but lets not get too overzealous with the pats on the back! You are probably right, they took a report, that's probably were it ended. I am guessing there was an unrelated event, that gained them access to the bikes, and when they ran the VIN's, they got lucky! And so did you... Lets be realistic, there was no APB put out and Johnny detective was not loosing sleep, running down leads and staking out suspects!!! LOL!
I would think there would be a trail to other bike, Hopefully!

I know it may seem weird to some people, but if you seem over confident to people there is a good chance they wont mess with you if that is their intention. Yes, i know this is not the best way to enter most situations but it is a good way to not to get robbed. If you enter an odd situation with a confident demeanor good chance if the person means any harm to you they will reconsider.

I agree 720. To a certain extent anyway.

I know im showing my cr 250 today and i wont have time to meet the guy anywhere but my house... so, during the conversation, i fully intend to reference my guns, and to introduce the guy to my pitbull (shes a wuss, but she will bark at people she doesnt know, so it works well enough lol)... I usually also white lie and make it seem like im not at work every day on a set schedule, and that i work from home a lot. Maybe this is wrong of me, but i feel like if someone wanted to scope out my property, these few things might be enough to change their mind.

I know im showing my cr 250 today and i wont have time to meet the guy anywhere but my house... so, during the conversation, i fully intend to reference my guns, and to introduce the guy to my pitbull (shes a wuss, but she will bark at people she doesnt know, so it works well enough lol)... I usually also white lie and make it seem like im not at work every day on a set schedule, and that i work from home a lot. Maybe this is wrong of me, but i feel like if someone wanted to scope out my property, these few things might be enough to change their mind.

Funny you mention work schedule. The White truck guy who was later arrested in the theft ring (mentioned earlier post). called me over the coarse of a couple weeks all different times sometimes leaving msgs sometimes not. When conversing he was never available that day or evening and was always fishing for my schedule so to speak. As I said the whole thing with him was fishy. Trust your instincts.

I have to say I doubt carrying yourself with confidence is not going to deter a thief and definitely not going to keep someone from robbing you at gun point, Nor is talkin Gangsta, or puffing up your chest. If that is your defense, your in deep s**t if you meet up with trouble. Not only are you going to get rolled, but now you increased the chance of getting a bullet in the head because you were so irritating.

Best chance in this situation is an equalizer, and letting them know before things head south.

Better yet trust your GUT! Meet in public, and have a buddy.

i do the same. let the dogs jump up at the door for a minute, always mention working from home etc

Holstered in plain sight a pistol, while you're cleaning one of your rifles. Twitch your eye a little bit here and there, say some off the wall crazy crap.

Like: "Man last time someone jewed me down I nearly stabbed em." :D

Back