SX track design

John250

PR Founding Father
many of us have complained about the SX tracks this year. They should look back in recent history and long ago history. Check out this turn from a recent SX, the riders obviously struggled a little getting into it, and it was interesting. Then check out the track from '84. yeah there are no 80 foot, in the air 25 foot triples, but look at the whoops and different things on the track. They should start building some of todays tracks a bit tougher. And I am not talking about making the triples or quads bigger.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZCrBPWLpy6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/w2_mXAUyKjY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's on the 84 track that they don't use in today's tracks? Whoops look hard because the bikes sucked and the riders didnt know what to do.

I agree with you John. Seems the tracks today have become "Cookie cutter" and not much in the technical department. All they provide is high speed and not as much technical difficulty. Not to say it's easy to make the jumps today but technical sections do seem to seperate the better riders and provide for more passing opportunities. Factory horsepower makes it that much more difficult for the lesser funded teams to keep up even with a talented rider. Technical tracks have been replaced by wide open high speed sections seperated by some big jumps. Impressive to watch but probably not as interesting.

I think the tracks have been OK, but feel they were really cool when they were letting past riders design them. Thing is, we have to remember, it's not all about us, self deemed, "hard core" fans. They have to make the masses happy or the sport doesn't grow...to an extent. Too many peeps to please and can't please them all...obviously. ;)

complain and whine all you want. One of the best and most exciting seasons ever.

Put a modern day thumper on that track from '84 and then tell us the difference...

When pro golfers started hitting the ball 325 yards off the tee due to better equipment, Augusta National and others decided to make their courses longer/harder to offset it.

The tracks from the 80's arent going to be hard for 450's today, but look at how hard they were for the pro riders then. As fans we like to see the pros struggle a little. That is what makes it fun to watch. They can have the same issues that we struggle with whether its SX, golf, etc.

I think the tracks should have a much longer whoops section. 20 yards is a joke. Put a step up or double in front of a 60 yard whoop section and see if it stays one lined.

I also love the idea of having split sections. There are so many things they can do to make it harder. Not unsafe, just harder.

Right on Johnny. 1984 whoops way harder then today’s... Don’t give me crap about "put a 450 out there" well NO s**t Sherlock. The bikes have gotten so much better the tracks have not. Nice to see a track with a "single" and for those of you younger then 30, yes we actually use to ride on tracks that did not have a perfectly groomed landing strip that is now known as the third "jump" of a triple. And Kenny, for GOD sake, I would expect more from you... Saying O’Mara, Bailey, Johnson, Ward, Goat, Glover "didn’t know what to do" is like saying the Pope is not catholic.
BIG, TUFF whoops are always the answer.
Great vid John. Thanks for posting

It's the bikes!
When you watch the vid from 1984, some of those sections those guys are double-double through, today they would quad that.
It's not that the riders back then weren't as good, they were pushing the limits of the machines they were on. Today, the riders push the limits of the machines they are on, which is way higher of a limit.

Perfect example -- look at some of the stuff Evel Knievel used to jump. Today, on modern 450's many of us would probably do some of those jumps! The badass nutjobs like Evel now jump ridiculous heights and distances (see Robbie Madison).

So, this leads to a conundrum of sorts. In order to truly challenge the riders/bikes of today, the tracks would have to be bordering on outright dangerous (to the riders and the crowd). So they keep the tracks at a certain level of difficulty and attempt to create designs that promote better racing.

I agree that it has been a little boring and one-lined lately. I don't think there is an easy solution.

I disagree about being dangerous to challenge. Look at todays whoop sections, they are perfectly shaped, round and short. Just a few years ago this wasnt the case, I remember a race where only a couple of the guys could make the whole section without dropping into them and jumping through the end. Not one rider made it every lap.

Slow the track down with doubles and triples like Atlanta sx, the double that was slow but shot them straight up and down again.

Track builders need to think outside the box and innovate to create better racing.

How about a good mix of both? Or lets all take up watching golf instead? Nothing like watching a great chip shot or long drive, right?

A few years back, I remember a long whoop section that had big one about 1/3 the way through which would screw up the rhythm and cause the riders to have to get going again in them. Do something like that that they can't just skim over! And another track had whoops around a slight bend and that screwed guys up too....

Anyway, 90FT for Evel Knievel...... we all do that now without even thinking about it. Times have changed!

You hear Ryan Sipes on SupercrossLIVE? He said he does feel that the tracks have been easier and more one lined than they used to. He felt that's what the fans want, so... I guess some fans. One benefit is that it keeps all riders healthy...er. I would rather see that than everyone getting hurt and it become a battle of survivors...

I'd rather have a full field of SX pro's out there, than be impressed with the track design. That's just me.

Make it a circle track. Invert the start qualifying field and force everyone to race the same equipment.

And there you have it. More unexcitement.

Back