MSR Helmets

Spagina

PR Elite
Hey guys, I wanted to get some imput from you on helmets. In the last few years I have smacked my head a few times pretty good and really want to make sure that I am taking the right steps to keep what brain cells I have left... damn dirtbikes.

This brings me to my topic, MSR Helmets. I owned one, once, in 2009. I liked it. It fit well, the liner came out and snapped in very easily. The helmet itself looks like knock off Shoei as far as design and fit goes. The helmet exceeds Snell and DOT standards, and weighs 3.15 lbs... so it is kind of heavy compared to a top of the line helmet, but there are ones far heavier.

I know i have watched videos that show helmets dropping anywhere from 3-6 feet, even from the seat of a bike on a stand, and then when they are x-ray'ed it shows that they are JUNK - spider web like stress fractures all over that weaken the helmet for future crashes. These tests have been done on good helmets too, not a g-max or something. The more I read about helmets, the more i hear that "if the helmet is in any significant impact, it should be hung up and replaced"... well, who has the money for that??? Seriously, if i buy a $600 Shoei, i'm broke for a while. If the first time I wear it, I wreck pretty hard, there is no way I can afford to quit wearing it and buy a new one.

I can get a MSR helmet significantly cheaper... about 1/8 the price. If I wear it and eat dirt the first time, I CAN afford to hang it up and buy another MSR.

So basically, is it worth it to buy an extrememly good helmet and just wear it, or buy a Snell/DOT approved helmet, that may be a little heavier and less "COOL" and actually follow manufacturers guidlines as far as replacement after a crash/ drop??

cant wait to hear everyones answer on this. those with the money will probably say to get the more epxnesive ones, and those without..well yeah.

i think most of them are pretty good these days. i would never wear something cheap, but im not going to go spend $600 oon a helmet, for the same reason you mention. I've worn 661 for a while and now One helmets... and have taken some pretty good spills. I like them, the price is right, comfort, weight, etc is all decent IMO.. I have to imagine that one of the bigger companies is making helmets and branding them for several different companies... I'm sure some people on here may know and can point out who is who..

No one here tosses a helmet after they fall and hit their head. If I see actual damage to the helmet probably. I guess I would question the impact? When you hit your head into dirt the imact on the helmet is much less than the impact into a hard surface.

Tough call there! I just bought an airoh and wore it 3 times before breaking the visor off. The rest of the helmet isnt even scratched and I finally decided to go ahead a wear it again, waiting on parts. I have worn helmets after impacts always unless they showed signs of damage on the exterior. Recently I have read articles saying what you describe and it has made me rethink my standards.

I never thought dropping it off a bike would hurt it though, wow.... Ive worn too many helmets longer than I should have ! Lol

If the helmet is comfy for you and meets all the standards required then buy those if you want.

I am guilty of wearing helmets too long. I wore my HJC from 02 to 2011 along with a Shoei I had from 2000 to 2010.. Each of those helmets SHOULD have been retired MUCH sooner.. In 2010 when I retired my Shoei, I landed on my head at Summit and was out cold for a second. I believe if I would have had a "fresh" helmet, I may not have fell asleep for a few minutes.. Mighta had a headache, but probably would have known where I was.. haha

Im pretty impressed with the Fly helmets now. I have the carbon Canard replica and so far im happy with it.. It was priced well enough that I would probably replace it if I took a digger.. I think thats part of getting old..er... lol

MSR did label some Shoei helmets as there own. At one time the only MFG were Bell, Shoei, KBC and Arai. Most helmets now are manufactured by KBC, brands such as HJC, Fox, Scott, One, EVS just to name a few. I go through a lot of helmets because as soon as I do a header at any kind of speed I retire it. I'm wearing Scott Airborne helmets now but I am going to purchase the new HJC RPHA-X next time around.

See, I've also been told that these helmets are not ment to withstand nasty crashes. The purpose of a good helmet is to protect your head, not to protect the helmet. I wrecked really hard at NEMX once and got life flighted. I was wearing a One Industies helmet, and it cracked in the crash. I was told that the helmet did what it was supposed to do and crushed itself to take impact away from my skull... Like an impact attenuator at the end of a barrier wall.

how did your head end up in that crash, did you get knocked out or get a concussion?

I've decided to just go with MSR... I just can't beat the price and I'm sure it's a decent lid.. Nick Wey wears them and at this point I don't think he would wear junk for a few extra bucks

I'm a pretty big fan of the TroyLee SE helmets. They are light, comfy, feel solid, and affordable if you go new on eBay. Usually I can get last years models for $250-$300. I've had 3 so far replacing every couple years(one was stolen, and one got retired to gopro/mud helmet). They make the cheaper Air version aswell, but on eBay the difference is only like $50 for the SE.

I had a cheapo MSR helmet for a number of years. (i think it was $99 or so) Hit my head hard on my crossbar casing a jump and broke my orbital bone in my face. 3 plates and 22 screws later and I wear a $300 helmet now. I want a Shoei but the moneys never there when I'm looking at them :(

You guys spend 6K to 8K for a bike then slide your bean in a $100 brain bucket??? Really? For 10 years???? Well , good luck with that. I ALWAYS changed helmets a few times a year and for sure after every big hit. If not for the safety reasons, a new helmet just feels good. I have always been partial to Arai and <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Bell</st1:place></st1:City>.... Don’t go cheap guys, get a GOOD helmet, from a HELMET company. Not a gear company that is paying $5 for a piece of crap made in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">China</st1:place></st1:country-region> just so they can put pretty graphics on it that match their pants.

I been wearing something similar to this since I was 9. Great grand pappy gave it to me and he raced back when real men raced.
brown%20_leather_flying_helmet.jpg

See, I've also been told that these helmets are not ment to withstand nasty crashes. The purpose of a good helmet is to protect your head, not to protect the helmet. I wrecked really hard at NEMX once and got life flighted. I was wearing a One Industies helmet, and it cracked in the crash. I was told that the helmet did what it was supposed to do and crushed itself to take impact away from my skull... Like an impact attenuator at the end of a barrier wall.

how did your head end up in that crash, did you get knocked out or get a concussion?

I've decided to just go with MSR... I just can't beat the price and I'm sure it's a decent lid.. Nick Wey wears them and at this point I don't think he would wear junk for a few extra bucks
Yeah I had a bad concussion, Dot and Snell standards are met with most $125+ helmet's but doesn't mean they are a great helmet. Majority of helmets are made in china out of plastic. I like how an Arai is built, quality is far superior to any helmet on the market.

I'm not saying an MSR is a bad helmet, but why not spend the extra money and get the best helmet on the market?

I had a 600.00 dollar Arai that I was wearing in a low speed crash. I didn't remember a thing for 5 hours. Kept repeating myself and spent the night in the er. I did a little reading and found the arai is known for that. Any other experiences with this?? I've had plenty of crashes but never again had that happen.

Thats why i wanted everyones opinion. the reason i was leaning away from buying the most expensive helmets is because they are supposidly junk after a hard crash anyway... so i figured i might as well buy a decently priced helmet that may not be the lightest, or have the best graphics, but i would be able to replace it if i did have a hard get off. if i buy an arai, i gurrante thats my last helmet for at least a year

My son has junked 2 Brand new ( first ride helmets) from One industries. We now have a Shoei but he hasn''t fallen on it yet. Do I think the $600 helmet would have saved him from a concussion, I doubt it. I really don;t think the perfect helmet exists. If it did Mx riders would be far on the list to have them. Auto racing and Football would be first in line. I think it is what you fell comfortable with and can afford

I actually just bought a kdub replica shoei for 375 offline. I had been looking for a while and found a great deal. There are a lot of factors that go into how a helmet works. One of the most important beyond quality is fit. Is should be a little snug. A loose helmet that doesn't fit properly can cause problems. I too was debating the cost....and as some others said, after what I spend on other crap a few extra bones for my head I can live with.

I owned a 661 and prior to that a FLY. The Shoei far exceeds the quality and fit of both previous helmets. If you look around you can find a prior years model Shoei for under 400, not easy but they do exist. Hard to see myself preferring any brand after the quality I've seen with this one. One disappointing side note, no additional visor was included.

I had a 600.00 dollar Arai that I was wearing in a low speed crash. I didn't remember a thing for 5 hours. Kept repeating myself and spent the night in the er. I did a little reading and found the arai is known for that. Any other experiences with this?? I've had plenty of crashes but never again had that happen.

So did Hershey's with his airoh. He hit hard and that helmet wasnt phased. Except for the mouth piece and visor. Inside and out everything was intact. I'm sold on that brand. Now I'm in the process of collecting cans and emptying the piggy bank to get one.

and I think he said he got a smokin deal on that lid. $4 Hundo something or another.

Shoei or Airoh for me.

So did Hershey's with his airoh. He hit hard and that helmet wasnt phased. Except for the mouth piece and visor. Inside and out everything was intact. I'm sold on that brand. Now I'm in the process of collecting cans and emptying the piggy bank to get one.

and I think he said he got a smokin deal on that lid. $4 Hundo something or another.

Shoei or Airoh for me.

For what i'ts worth you cant always visually see damage. It's a tuff call but it you take a good digger or a direct hit...it sucks...but it I'd pony up for another. There is also foam inside under the liner. Usually a quick peak at the foam is a good indicator. Not full proof, but when I started to question my 661 I looked at the foam under the liner, and that's when I saw that the foam was clearly beyond its limits. You would have never known it from the outside of the helmet it looks barely used.

Back