MSR Helmets

They're back ordered as a mo-fo! Great technology and innovation for sure. Its like a floating helmet within a helmet. But for $700 YIKES. (I know I think my heads worth that but I also think that a $400 Shoei; or a $375 TLD get the job done adequately)

Kames has both. The new hjc's dont seem to fit like my old trusty one did. I like my newest fly canard replica though. Fits me well. If i had the cash id buy another shoei but id also weigh options between shoei, airoh, and 6d..

QUOTE=Meister;79350]Kames has both. The new hjc's dont seem to fit like my old trusty one did. I like my newest fly canard replica though. Fits me well. If i had the cash id buy another shoei but id also weigh options between shoei, airoh, and 6d..[/QUOTE]

I have a significant "Wall of Shame" of damaged helmets.....I have ridden/Raced for well over 30 years..and Helmets have come a long...long way in protection.

Back when I was like a lot of you (youngsters) I had some big hits with everything from Bell open face, Bell Moto Star (original full face) and only looked at the outer shell for cracks etc. and kept riding with them if they weren't cracked and wrecked on them some more until they were brokrn. I was poor and in denial that I should replace them. Fast forward to my late 20's and took a digger HARD on a helmet that had been on the ground before. That was a significant concussion and broke the helmet almost exactly on the same scar from a previous crash (Malvern kicker-double....thanks Jeff Sanders..). That was a wake up call for me as my cheap-ness put me out of riding for quite a while.

Since then, I have retired helmets from Major meetings with dirt at: Mid-Ohio (well...Mosher did run his Yamaha frame over me), Scenic Highlands (downhill, right turn, start, major pile-up/yard sale) Smith Rd. (don't ask), Portland Michigan (take-out by second place points guy), Gatorback Florida (Gator-Gap jump ambulance ride).....

Maybe I just wreck a lot....but I do have enough sense after all those situations to know that when you bang your head...hard....you KNOW it...and that is when you park it and get a new one.

Thanks for the tip, Meister! Looks like I'm not travelling this week so I'll make my way over there and check them out....I'm WAY overdue! Thx Tim

Keep in mind too, if you try on a Fly helmet and like the way it fits but dont see a paint job you like, you could check out the catalog for more designs.. They can get one in within just a few days.. I think it took 3 days to get my carbon Canard replica to the store..

Keep in mind too, if you try on a Fly helmet and like the way it fits but dont see a paint job you like, you could check out the catalog for more designs.. They can get one in within just a few days.. I think it took 3 days to get my carbon Canard replica to the store..
I would PM Brock Sellards, hes Western Powersports Rep and he might be able to hook some people up with killer deals. WPS is a Fly dealer.

6d are on back order until Aug and they only come in M and L until some time after Aug Plus price tag is UP there !
FLY has so many differant price ranges and styles to offer.. also the only company that weaves carbon and fiber and kezvlar composite materials ( super strong and really light ) The formula helmet 399.99 retail
The fly F2 carbon also offers the same technology at a lower price of 279.99 retail (269.99 retail for solid white and black )
Fly also came out with a new helmet this year the THREE.4 poly alloy insted of carbon weave a lot lighter than your average 100$ helmet and the same safty features as the high end Fly helmets (all In stock at Kames )

Tons of options
A lot in stock
Just thought i would put my 2 cents in about the FLY

Thanks

Kris

My dad always said the "how much is your head worth?" Thing growing up. So we wore Bell Moto 4's maybe even a 3 at one point. Mid 70's I'm not sure what were then. When I started riding on my own dime (and my dome got so freaking large) I started wearing HJC's which took some good shots at times. I think I hung on to them a little longer then I should have. Had one good footpeg to the head that damaged the outer shell at Pyma. Rode that night with it then bought new the next day.
Now I have 3 in storage... 2 are brand new never rode in them. Think I bought them in 07 or 08. Then sold the bike and haven't used them. My question, I may already know the answer, is if these are any good? Can I sell them, use them, or would I be better off just tossing them and saving someone a headache...

I heard they're only good 5 years after they were manufactured with no impacts. But why? Are they breaking down/losing their hardness?

Or is it just a statement to save the company from the onslaught america's lawyers?

They are still good, IMO...I would sell them with the purchaser knowing the history.
That said, soon off to Kames to check out new helmets.
Later Tim

The 5 year thing is primarily based on use. The sun can damage certain materials if given enough time(in extreme conditions of course or prolonged periods of time). So can sweat seeping into the foam and then drying out and things break down. If they have been in storage id say they are as good as new. I mean were really over doing it here but if you know anything about Finite Element Analysis its all about materials. Not everything can be seen with the human eye.

I also think not only the shell goes bad with age but the styrofoam also dries out loosing it ability to be cushiony & absorb hits.

For a few hundred bucks why risk it...

Maico Mark

CYA time!
Bought an F2 from Kames today...wow, what a nice new lid!

Direct from manual: Helmets are designed to absorb 1 (one) impact. (!)

Back