Bad News

Joc was always so nice to our family. I remember at a Cuyahoga County Fair race telling him about an article in the local paper about David and he asked to see it, he took the time to read the article. Joc always had time for everyone. We lost a great man, he may be gone, but Joc will never be forgotten. Rest in peace friend

The Groves family

Chris, what a great read. Right before I opened this page again I remembered that waco mart and the fried chicken, jock just couldn't get enough of. I once road with him Jon and sammi from Lodi to malvern and we stopped there. Joc was all about making me try that fried chicken. And I kept telling him I didn't want any. But one thing was for sure, I was not getting out of that truck until I tried a piece of that chicken... He swore by that. And along with everything else, he was right. That was some awesome chicken!Haha. Good times. RIP.

Was in a little bit of shock when Wilmo called me Sunday morning. Joc was a fixture at the track but more than that, he was a part of our motocross family. He would give advice to anyone seeking it. His passion for the sport and for kids was unwavering. He could listen to a bike run and tell you what was wrong with it. He never had a bad word to say about anyone - even in a heated argument. If he had something for sale you didn't have enough money for it, he'd sell it to you for what you had in your hand. Can't even begin to think of how many stickers he gave away when the kids brought their trophies to show him. He made everyone feel special. Orange pop. I would always try to have an ice cold orange pop in the cooler for him. If I didn't have time to give it to him, I'd have someone run it to the moto-x trailer for me.

Joc will be missed by all who knew him. For 31 years he had always encourged me, gave me advice and was a friend. For that I will always be thankful. Rest in Peace my friend.

Peggy

I haven't been on here, and I just heard of Jocs' passing today. Very sad. I do know that he'd be stoked to read all these posts about him though. I last saw him at Smith Rd. on Labor Day. I thanked him for all the years that he gave to the sport, asked him to sign my plaque, and if I could take a pic with him. He teared up, and told me that I made his day. --L*64

RIP Joc. My story goes back to heading to Smith Road for a holiday race that Hartney (Fortney?) helped in getting a vintage class together. I'm just trying to find the place and this dually goes blowing by me. I'm like wtf?...then I noticed it was Joc putting a move on me cuz he was running a little late probably...but I was still like, "how the hell did he fit that thing by me on this road?"

I've created an email account: motoxjoc1@gmail.com

if any of you have pictures of jock/his trailer from over the years please take a moment and email them to the address above. I would like to create a photo-video of him throughout the years. I have pictures but starting in 1993. It would be a real treat to be able to obtain photos from the 70s.

If you have photos to contribute, again please attach them to email at: motoxjoc1@gmail.com
thanks.

Georgie, we are looking for pics as well for the memorial if you would like to share we would appreciate it and we would be happy to give you anything we get our hands on! (smithroadraceway@gmail.com or you can send them to my private email bimmerbabe21@aol.com) Its still a little shocking for me, I spent my whole child hood at Smith Road and 90% of that time I was with Clydie or Joc and now they are both gone, its crazy. My notebooks were always covered in motocross stickers from Joc and he was always giving me t-shirts, lol I remember once he handed me a stack of different t-shirts that hadn't sold. I was happy as any kid to get some track "swag" only to get in trouble with my dad later because one of the shirts had a sexy saying on it. Joc must have missed it when he went through the pile! I was blessed to get to spend so much time with him last year. He was up at Smith Road every Wednesday, he ate dinner at the concession stand and he would tell us stories and make us laugh, he gave my hubby parts for his quad and always saved extra medals for my 4 and 5 year old who aren't racing yet, but consider themselves staff! We went out to his shop a few times last summer to pick up things for the kids and he was always happy to see the kids and play games with them and tell them stories. My daughter couldn't wait to show him her halloween costume the last time we went to the shop, she had found a sleeping beauty costume at a garage sale earlier in the day and he made a huge fuss about how pretty she looked, it absolutely made her day!

Back