Bike/Boot Wash?

Meister

PR Founding Father
I didnt want to hi-jack the boot thread, but myself and John are obviously curious as to what people are using to wash their bikes and boots with.

I will tell you the best stuff I have EVER used. Its called DIRT SQUIRT and it came in a white bottle. Kames can no longer get it and I cannot find it anywhere. This stuff worked great on EVERYTHING. Kept boots white, motors clean, tires clean. If someone can find that stuff laying around a shop somewhere, snag it up and ill buy it from you!

I've been using simple green but its just not like dirt squirt. However, I do love the smell! lol

As far as after the bike is washed, ive been using SC1 which smells good and works great on plastic, tires, and cables. There are many other products out there like this, but I havent used many. Anyone else believe in another product I may be missing?

I always thought Simple green was harsh? No?

I like S100 for the bikes. And Wesley's for the white boots. It is not harsh, and does not destroy the leather. Also with a little scrub brush gets all the black from the frame off the inside of the boots.

I try and keep everything on my bikes shinny. I know some cleaners out there will dull rims after a while and what not, so I've always been one to be very careful about the cleaners I use. I would like to hear from someone that has used a cleaner long term on the same bike.

I have no had any issues with simple green being harsh. I noticed at the indy sx that alot of the factory teams actually use it. Theres no mistaking the smell. The cheapo stuff like white lightning or mean green ive had leave the white marks on aluminum before, but not with simple green. Ive even been "slow" while scrubbing my bike and some parts will start to dry up. Just hose her down and theres no marks or anything. I actually just bought a one gallon pump sprayer and a gallon of simple green. I get sick of spray bottles not working too.

Does the wesleys have any effect on other colors on the boots? What is S100?

I am one to keep my stuff as clean as possible too and the best thing I use for that is SC1 from Maxima. Even if the cleaner doesnt get the dried dirt marks off tires or cables, the SC1 shines the right up.. I also coat the underside of the fenders and the skidplate/case guards and it seems to help with dirt sticking.

1. Wash bike with pressure washer
2. soak bike with simple green, re pressure wash
3. spray all bare aluminum surfaces (motor, hubs, clamps, frame, etc) with Duragloss 851 aluminum wheel cleaner - it has acid in it, and will make your aluminum like brand new. Cast areas will be almost white. it can streak, so always start from the bottom up and cover thuroughly. wear rubber gloves, and safety glasses.
Also, this stuff cleans coatings right off of steel. if you have an old beat up factory fatty pipe, it will turn the thing straight to bare metal after you spray it with duragloss. i always wd-40 any metal that i clean with duragloss, including the hubs, frame, motor, etc.
- pressure wash a third time
4. detail with maxima sc1

you follow these steps, and you will not have a cleaner bike.... when you get done, scuff frame with a scotch brite pad and some wd 40.

ive followed this process with every bike i have ever flipped, or when i have sold my personal bikes - each time i get compliments on how people have never seen a cleaner bike.

S100 is a cleaner, Iron Pony, Harley shops, most dealers carry it. Works really well, pray it on and rinse it off and the dirt is gone! It is not cheap though. $14.95 for like a 32 oz bottle. Would like to find something a little more reasonable to use since I have 4 bikes to clean all the time.

And no, wesleys does not do anything to any other colors. Shoot I spray the kids Nikes with it, soft scrub brush, throw them in the washer and take them out to dry, and the kids shoes look like new.

that stuff sounds scary spagina lol...

I use mean green. Never had a problem with it leaving marks. $1 a bottle isnt bad. I use it straight til the bottle is 2/3 low then i mix it with water to get a little more life out of the botle. never notice it being too weak and not cleaning as well whilie being a little diluted.

I always scrub down the frame and anything else i can get to with scotch brite, including all the areas of plastic / graphics that get rubbed and all dirty fromboots or whatever.

Afterwards I pretty much spray/wipe down anything metal with WD40 and then Depending on where I'm riding, cover most of the bike with SC1. (makes the garage smell nice for like a week after ha). SC1 is a must. Motul makes a nice product, very similar (silicon based detail spray).. but the sc1 is a little bit nicer (more shiney!). Only problem with that stuff is that it attracts a lot of dust. If I know it will be a nice prepped track, or mud, I cover it and leave it. if its dusty Ill spray lightly, and wipe off after.

I also spray the chain right after washing with WD40 to displace and get out alot of the water.. then by the time I do everything else its kind of dry and I spray up with chain lube.

Stacy its not that bad lol they sell it at NAPA. I'm just a safety major and know that chemicals getting into your eyes or under fingernails is never a good idea... the same thing should be done with most cleaners for that matter.

I have started to dry my bike with compressed air. It takes 2 minutes and then there are no water spots, or rusting on the chain. as soon as i blow dry my bike, thats when i hit everything with good ol WD.

I'm the same meister, wd-40 on chains is all i need. Every time i go back on the track i just hit it again

I use simple green and tide laundry soap mixed in a 2 gallon bug sprayer and pressure wash bike and boots.

4. detail with maxima sc1

This is a key step. I spray SC1 on everything. wheels, plastics, motors, bars (watch levers), Boots, Helmet, Leatt, Chest Protector.

If you want the best of the best cleaner. "Earlshine" talk to Kris Mihaulik at kames. He will hook you up.

Stacy its not that bad lol they sell it at NAPA. I'm just a safety major and know that chemicals getting into your eyes or under fingernails is never a good idea... the same thing should be done with most cleaners for that matter.

I have started to dry my bike with compressed air. It takes 2 minutes and then there are no water spots, or rusting on the chain. as soon as i blow dry my bike, thats when i hit everything with good ol WD.

I'm the same meister, wd-40 on chains is all i need. Every time i go back on the track i just hit it again

Oh yeah, forgot that step. Over the winter when I had to wash the bike I dried it with the air compressor (because it was cold out obviously).. I'll probably keep doing that throughout summer too, like you said, no water spots.

We use simple Green on everything. Bike, boots, chest protectors. We all have white boots after a good scrub if there is still some marks the mr. clean magic erasers are the bomb. They work great on everything from house things to the interior of cars to getting scuffs of our boots.

I spray SC1 on everything.

I love that stuff. Apart from being a great protectorant for plastics etc, I use it under the fenders before going out. Mud comes right off, if it sticks at all.

We use simple Green on everything. Bike, boots, chest protectors. We all have white boots after a good scrub if there is still some marks the mr. clean magic erasers are the bomb. They work great on everything from house things to the interior of cars to getting scuffs of our boots.

magic erasers are the bomb for in the house!! i always forget to try them on the bike stuff!

Bike Blasters are the bomb for drying your dirt bikes, street bikes, around windows, moldings, mirrors on cars so you don't get spots driving down the road. I have the $80 model and is great. Blows warm air and a bunch of it. Highly recommend it. Use is a few times a week.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pH9GAKx6aJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lsJgGpL0NW0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.motorcycledryer.com/

Magic Erasers.......never tried on boots but I will. I try not to use too high of pressure on boots at the races. I always was told that pressure washers will shorten the life of the leather because of the high pressure.

Back