Kawasaki Grips

John250

PR Founding Father
I changed some bars and grips on Matthews KX tonight. Kawasaki must use JB Weld on their bars as grip glue. I have NEVER in all my years had a grip as hard to get off of a throttle tube as that one. Talk about ridiculous.

LOL.......I was damn close to getting a new throttle tube! I finally got the thing cleaned up. What a pain.

I have heard multiple people say this. Something i didn't want to read, but my grips on my kawi are worn. Looks like i better stop at the Pony on the way home from college next week to buy an extra throttle tube

The grip is Vulcanized to the throttle tube.
The thing is….If you’ve work-over the throttle tube enough to remove the grip, I would then question the integrity of the tube itself.
Because once Vulcanized, the two actually become one unit. And you’ve now separated them.

…….get a new tube….

Yep, super hard on kawi's and suzuki's from what i remember. For the price of a new motion pro tube i always just bought one right off the bat, that way i had a spare tube with a good grip on it just for a spare.

+1
I’ve used the Motion Pro “Titan” tube before and liked it.
On the 4-strokes I go with an Alu. / bearing tube.

Motion pro Titan tubes are on my bikes. They have a 5 year crash replacement warranty and they're Around $25. No brainer.

Hey, quick question on setting the new grips. What's your best routine?

The old grips came off waaayyy easy. Throttle tube doesn't look bad, just thinking whoever put the old ones on didn't use glue, etc. With that, do you suggest glue, safety wire, both, or something else? I've used both individually and together along with nothing (which isn't an option) as well in the past. For the glue, what is best? Does it have to be "Grip Glue" or has someone found out that something else works just as well and/or better? I have a set of the Pro Taper pillow top grips...

Pro taper grip glue works awesome. Not sure how it well grip removal is after because I havent had to since using it. The grips dont need safety wire though! Following the directions exactly is a must though, put plenty on so they dont get glued half way on!

Hey, quick question on setting the new grips. What's your best routine?

The old grips came off waaayyy easy. Throttle tube doesn't look bad, just thinking whoever put the old ones on didn't use glue, etc. With that, do you suggest glue, safety wire, both, or something else? I've used both individually and together along with nothing (which isn't an option) as well in the past. For the glue, what is best? Does it have to be "Grip Glue" or has someone found out that something else works just as well and/or better? I have a set of the Pro Taper pillow top grips...

Im using the pro taper grip glue and im actually very impressed with it. I have also used the renthal stuff and it work almost as well. I dont feel as if the scott grip glue is worth a $hit!!

Dude, save the money and buy a .99 can of aquanet hair spray. I used that for years and never had a single issue. Spray a lot in the grip, shake it around, dump out the excess and slide it on. One safety wire and that thing is never coming off.

ODI lock on grips for me from now on.. throttle side comes with a new tube. swap the whole thing out in a few mins and no messing around

Ive always used grip glue, ive never had to use saftey wire except with that scott garbage. But pro taper and renthal seems to work pretty dang good

Glue is way too messy and when you slide the grip on the glue gets moved down the tube leaving spots with out any glue.

Use friction tape. Wrap the tape on the clean handle bar, starting on the inside and overlapping the tape 1/16" to keep from catching the edge with the grip and with the end of the tape overlapping the end of the bar. Spray the tape with contact cleaner and get sloppy wet. Slide grip on. in an hour you are ready to ride. Apply wire once dry if you are worried about it moving.

takes total of about 10 minutes max. Polack proof!

Back