Motocross getting soft

Do you even ride a dirt bike?

Call MX Sports and ask them why they rescheduled the qualifier at Tomahawk this year?

16 inches of snow and not enough mx-snowmobile conversion kits for sale in WV.

I HATE mud locally. Too hard on equipment. But love it at regionals. Slows the faster guys down and brings them back a more human competitive level. :)

And Broc please tell us more stories. That stuff is hilarious.

Mud is a great equalizer for unequal machinery out there! It is definately harder on equipemnt, and I don't think anybody really likes racing mud all that much. The question is how many will do it when it becomes necessary.

I think the original post has merit. Back in the olden days, people didn't pack up and go home when it started sprinkling in the numbers like they do today. Tracks were obstacles setup to punish you and test you as opposed to being finely engineered and groomed to accommodate your riding style as they are today. Water mudholes used to be standard part of any self respecting track. Times change and riders change but if you compare what they ride, and what they are willing to ride it on/in, with exceptions, todays riders are softer than those of the olden days.

I'm in agreement with TimSr90 . Especially in the 70's when the sport was young , we were glad just to have a place to race . Not as many choices as today . Yes , equipment was cheaper , but wages were lower too . Never exactly liked mud but did like the " equalizer " effect . The track conditions were the same for eveyone . Many times track prep was minimal and tracks got ROUGH . I remember a race at Gran Prix and one at Abner's where portions of the tracks were flooded . They did not cut those sections out . The only way you knew where the track was , was by the trees or tall weeds on either side and the water was tank high on the bike . Turnout was just as good as a bluebird day . It was still racing so we were there .

Back in the day, tracks were easier to ride in the mud too. you did not have all the step ups, doubles, whoops, etc. Tracks were more natural terrain and a little easier to navigate in the mud.

No matter what......Mud sucks for racing. It is survival, and who stays up, etc.

Back