Practice sessions......

I as a mini parent understand where everyone is at with this. Ryan started out at Apple Cabin and he and his friend would ride until it was dark. Never gave the bike a break on their 50. As he started becoming a better rider I felt more concentrated practices were better for him and me. Gave my eyes a break staring him down that he was ok. I like the idea of 15-20 min sessions it gives us a few minutes to look over his bike and to remiind him to come in take a break grab something to eat and have some water. Same for the bike!!! It also gave me time to talk to him about the track and his riding. Honestly, we don't have alot of mini riders at these types of practice sessions and I feel it is hard to fight for our track time but we are there and the ones that do show up are National Riders - Ryan Trevor Hayden and Mitchy (ex: Crow Canyon). I think we will work it out as we get there and hope for the best. If we end up with 1-2 hours of practice for the day with the bikes in one piece and my son then I am happy. I also want to add that alot of the beginner riders no matter what they are pw/50/65/85 if they are beginners then they should go to a mini track, they are the ones that scare me they don't keep a line and don't find the right places to stop and to add the parents are blind and run all over forgetting their are others on the track. It is tough to pick them out when they come through the gate but if they go out on the big track and someone monitoring the track sees them they should be moved. Same with a C rider in the A class. Hope, this makes sense to everyone but we are a small number and the boys that do show up are there to train not for a local race but for an area, regional or Loretta Lynns!!!

I could care less that mini's ride the "Big" track. I just dont want to sit around and tickle my bellybutton, when there are ten 65/50's are on the track, and there are 2 mini-quads in staging waiting to go up next. The whole reason I even brought this up in the other thread, is to help this new organization. And anyone else for that fact. The best solution I have seen yet was from Broc, three groups total. Big Bikes, Big Quads, 85's/65's/50's/Mini Quads. Faster 80's ride with big bikes.

Kids are the future of our sport, but they are not the money in this sport. The parents are the only money in the sport for the kids. And if anyone wants to battle that out go right ahead. Someone made the comment on KTM supporting mini riders which I do agree is a great idea. But IMO if they really wanted to keep people in this sport they would shoot for the riders from age 16-18, because anyone who has been in this sport long enough, or grew up racing at the local tracks will be darn sure to agree that after high-school graduation when the parents stop footing the bill, thats when you see all your local stars drop off the radar. Not after they make the move from 50's to 65's.

Split Sessions....10am-1pm for minis 50's every 15 minutes, all others every 15 minutes....2pm-5pm for big bikes split only by need for 15 minute sessions with 3 different sub-sessions at most...or vice versa.

Now, you want to talk about how the word FLOW works into a track....It's NOT the track lacking flow, IT's YOU who can't flow with the track...

Obviously, we all have one thing in common here....PASSION for MX, don't forget that.

WOW! This thread blew up!

I hate "organized" practice and will go to "open" practice even if it is at a lesser track. If I drive 2-3 hours to ride, I want to ride! Went to a track early in the season and only got 4 short sessions while watching sessions for pee wee, quads etc that should have been grouped together; if grouped, everyone would have gotten more ride time

Two different practice times is a reasonable answer

Some of the comments are unbelievable. Talk about being selfish! Why don't we just ban kids from riding motorcycles until they are eighteen.

The truth is that some tracks like Smith Road can have open practice and some tracks can't, like Briarcliff. When my son was on a 65 I took him to Briarcliff to practice because they had a C track. The problem was that all the quads were on the C track, and there was no way I was going to let him out there. We traveled 3 Hours to get there and he had to ride on the pitbike track and the woods. Finally around 6:30 when all of the other riders went home he was able to ride the C track for a half hour. I won't take my son to Dirt World because he's not ready to do the big double, or the triple yet. If I did someone would complain that he was riding around the big double and was a track hazard. There is no easy answer, but a split practice does give more opportunities for everyone.

This is not a knock on Briarcliff or Dirt World, just some examples.

Some of the comments are unbelievable. Talk about being selfish! Why don't we just ban kids from riding motorcycles until they are eighteen.

The truth is that some tracks like Smith Road can have open practice and some tracks can't, like Briarcliff. When my son was on a 65 I took him to Briarcliff to practice because they had a C track. The problem was that all the quads were on the C track, and there was no way I was going to let him out there. We traveled 3 Hours to get there and he had to ride on the pitbike track and the woods. Finally around 6:30 when all of the other riders went home he was able to ride the C track for a half hour. I won't take my son to Dirt World because he's not ready to do the big double, or the triple yet. If I did someone would complain that he was riding around the big double and was a track hazard. There is no easy answer, but a split practice does give more opportunities for everyone.

This is not a knock on Briarcliff or Dirt World, just some examples.

I havnt seen or heard anyone get mad up at Dirtworld for going around or rolling the big double or triple. s**t there's about a good 4-7 big bikes who opt. to go around or roll it. And Dirt world practice is bikes only and mostly has maybe 20-30 rides at one given time there. And maybe a good 10 or so are minis or slower C guys and the other half are the regulars like myself and don't go balls deep if we come up to a slower rider or little rider. Basically comes down to use your head. Which there are a few who have to " own at practice" or "win" but that's very slim chance up at DW. Just had to put in put on that because I'm up there if not every weekend, every other weekend. And the little guys/ slower guys and fast guys all work out with no problems.

I havnt seen or heard anyone get mad up at Dirtworld for going around or rolling the big double or triple. s**t there's about a good 4-7 big bikes who opt. to go around or roll it. And Dirt world practice is bikes only and mostly has maybe 20-30 rides at one given time there. And maybe a good 10 or so are minis or slower C guys and the other half are the regulars like myself and don't go balls deep if we come up to a slower rider or little rider. Basically comes down to use your head. Which there are a few who have to " own at practice" or "win" but that's very slim chance up at DW. Just had to put in put on that because I'm up there if not every weekend, every other weekend. And the little guys/ slower guys and fast guys all work out with no problems.

X2

There was a topic on Pit last year complaining about all the rider going around the big double.

Well don't recall it I don't live on this site 24/7 lol but I know when I'm there I don't hear or care it's there session also and Shane doesn't seem to really complain about much. I know racing they want you to roll it. But hey opinions are like *******s everyone's got one.

3 quick thoughts:

When I was a kid, I rode trails or whatever "mini" tracks were available - and I was lucky to get that.

As a teen on a big quad, back then every track I hit was true "open practice." Big bikes and big quads, with no minis on the big tracks - unless they snuck on when nobody was watching.

As an adult, I've been frustrated more than a few times by mini riders weaving all over a big track, flying up to jumps then slamming on the brakes and generally causing a dangerous situation - inexperienced riders moving up too fast.

I don't like sessions because you do lose time, but ultimately it's the safest, best option for crowds. My proposal: they should be more inclusive sessions, like all big bikes/quads are one session and all bikes/quads under 200cc are the youth session. Then session times could be extended beyond 15 minutes, thus increasing track time.

I've been frustrated more than a few times by mini riders weaving all over a big track, flying up to jumps then slamming on the brakes and generally causing a dangerous situation - inexperienced riders moving up too fast.

That. Numerous times I've locked the brakes up not to take out some little kid who will go wide open up to a 15-20 foot double then slam on the brakes. I've also had myself and another big bike who was a bit faster than myself put over a berm because of a 65 deciding to make a bee line from his line on the bottom of the berm to the top where we were gonna pass him. Either that kid has never been told to keep his line by his dad or he just felt like being wreckless.

Everytime I see people cutting my jumps i want banish them to the C track. I only normally see it on the bigger doubles that we have at the time. They will roll all the tables and cut the doubles. Royally pisses me off. Perhaps their skill set doesnt match the track??? i know i know, but how will they learn? I dunno, but there are plenty of other places to learn. Fields, trails, a neighbors track, fair races, the C track.

I tried at one point to warn people and tell them that need to pick it up and starting carrying more speed or they are putting themsleves and others in danger. I told them they need to pick it up or go to the C track. You want to talk about pissed off and offended.

Well don't recall it I don't live on this site 24/7 lol but I know when I'm there I don't hear or care it's there session also and Shane doesn't seem to really complain about much. I know racing they want you to roll it. But hey opinions are like *******s everyone's got one.

I just remember that Mike used to run Mini practice on Wednesday,big bikes and quads on Thursday and Saturday. I have no problem with Dirt World running all the bike together. It's just nice to have some tracks run some spilt practices.

As a big quad rider I'd like to see less of the big bikes only practice days. Especially at tracks that have races for quads on the weekends. Also want to give a shout out to the whole crow canyon crew. Track was awesome and had plenty of time on the track. Sessions were maybe a little too long and the finish line triple a little too big but other than that it was great lol.

And you're doing a fine job of it!

Before you go all postal and get nasty, possibly you could read the post. A question was posed for discussion not a demand of a solution.

I was the person flagging on the triple in the bottom section where your son's bike stalled because the choke was on. I saw your son and he was riding well. Good job.

I also have a daughter that rode, so your comment about about "big bikes without kids" is far from the truth. I wasn't a parent that felt everything was owed to us or that foamed at the mouth every time something didn't suit us. When she was big enough to go out on the big track I blocked for her. There were no pewee tracks back then. We went to the tracks that we could ride at and avoided the ones where she could not ride. Rather that complain about it, blame everyone else, and make an big issue of it, we adapted until she could ride the big tracks with me blocking and then eventually by herself.

I stand up for the youth of the sport also but there are limits. To hold a practice session to satisfy just a hand full of riders will chase off riders that make up the majority of the paying public is plain selfish and unrealistic.

I do not know what the answer is, I merely posed a question. The track does not exist to satisfy my needs specifically or yours, but the needs of the majority of the riders that patronize it.

Well I guess the big bike with out kids leaves you out...sorry if it offended you! As to your next statement we do the samething dude...if he can't ride we don't go...period...no big deal!! We go somewhere else...but that's why I took the time to talk to the OWNER and told him what size bikes we were on and why we were coming....and he said c'mon..

As for foaming out the mouth...you clearly got me confused with someone else...lol...when they called mini parents up to sign up it was because they wanted to now if it was all right to run mini quads with us...I said cool,no big deal...we were just happy to be at a track and riding....not sure why they ended up splitting it up so much but I can say it had nothing to do with me....Infact your the only one else I talked to....and you really think I complain,blame or make a big deal of things...wrong again

As far me wanting my son on the big track....well its because of the big bikes that really make a track come to life...kickers,breaking bumps,line choices,accel bumps...all this is why...it's not because I think it's owed to us...it's because it helps us on our goals...most mini tracks are what they say...they just never seem to develop for the advanced youth...so we just end up chunking knobs off on a concrete surface.

I really don't know the answer to the session thing...I honestly can see all sides...maybe on every other rotation give the big bikes a 40 min instead of 20 min session...and if you can't get worn out In 40 mins...well that thing on the right side of the bars needs rotated more. I agree with most here on 80 and under and that would have sped things up...

Cut me some slack fellows...just trying to get my guy what he needs to compete in aug...thx and sorry for coming off so strong...if ya knew me I am pretty laid back.

Not really gonna offer a solution or suggestion, just point out my/Mitchy's comfort level in hopes that it may spur thought and a resolution that make the majority happy.

First, thanks for the kind words from those of you that approached Mitchy Sunday and congratulated him on Vegas results/experience and the kind words ref. Mitchy's riding. Also, Shaffernocker for setting Mitchell up with a Gatorade...he ordered me down to get some pics of you riding. Hope you were able to locate under my profile in the Crow pics.

I was also present with 007DAD when we were asked about the mini-quads running with 50/65's. Neither of us had an issue with that and I am not sure why, if they, were actually broken out. I thought there was just big bikes, big quads, 85's, and mini-quads/50/65's. I thought the mini quads moved to the mini track on their own as I don't recall seeing any of them after the first session for the rest of the day. So, for the most part we are talking about 2 50's and 3-5 65's, and less than 5 mini-quads. 5-10 more bikes to run with the 85's (about 10). I agree, no sense in running the mini-quads nor 50/65's separate...there was not enough of any of them.

Either way, based on Crow's track and the turnout, I had no problem with running Mitchell on his 50 with the mini-quads, 65's, or for that matter, if they would have added him with the 85's. The turnout was not huge and the track was plenty wide enough and long enough to space them out. In fact, Mitchell not only loves 50cc battles with Hunt, but also enjoys running the track the same time Maley and Talboo are out there on 65's, and has asked several times to get out there with Original44's son Johnny, who rides a YZ85. Those are his friends and although he can't keep up, when they go past, he has a rabbit, so to speak, to chase for a corner or two. Running him with the big bikes, would not have been wise and I agree, can create problems for big bikes, but I don't think Mitchy would have been any problem for the others mentioned. As indicated, Mitchell and Hunt on 50's were doing all the same jumps, but the triple, the big bikes were doing. He knows how to hold a line and would have been fine in the 85cc class.

[video=youtube_share;MLeZf0cijgI]http://youtu.be/MLeZf0cijgI[/video]

There was a point that a TTR50 did a session with the 65's and 50's and that rider or his parent soon realized it was best that rider, to ride the little track. Like Rocket mentioned, common sense and a parent has to be able to place his child in a level that the child are capable and comfortable with. If not, like Jer from Briarcliff has indicated and done for going around jumps, the promoter needs to step up and ask the parent to move their child. At the Apple Cabin, I have sent Mitchy out with the big bikes before the large crowd arrives and at the end of the night when all are packing up. I have yet to see this cause a problem for anyone on the track, and if I think that is the case, I am the first to pull him. Common sense needs to take priority..first with the parent...and if there is none there...the track owner. The goal at the end of the day needs to be safety, as much as possible.

Running big bikes/faster 85 riders that wanted to go out with them, big quads, and all others (50's/65's/slower 85's and mini-quads) would have been fine by me on Sunday. 3 classes running 20 mins each. Just my $.02.

We are also striving to run the big tracks for all the same reasons, Maley, Talboo, and Hunt are...we are running tracks for Lorettas regionals and the little tracks do us no good! The qualifiers and regionals, for the most part, all run on large wide open tracks that get rough as hell. Little tracks do not allow for the speed they need to be comfortable with nor the tough conditions and regions that allow their little guys/gals to run on their big tracks, will eat our kids alive.

Obviously, I see no need to run a separate practice for a small group of mini riders, whether beginner or advanced, but I also do not see a problem with faster 50 riders running, based on volume and the track, with 85's and 65's. That is how we managed his long riding career from age 5 to now, 8....lol. It was a dad and son talking about it and insituting some common sense. He chose many times to ride the little tracks even though I was trying to get him on a big track. Now, he goes the other way...wants nothing to do with a little track as he loses interest fast. I think this is how the normal progression and advancement should be for these kids. Be honest with your child and if they are not good enough, then get them on the beginner tracks until they are and they are comfortable with being on the big tracks. We can all look at riders and tell whether they have any business being out there based on the talent that is there. Make the right call whether you are a mini riders parent or a C rider, ie. Hershey (no offense your the only C rider I could think of), getting out there with the A/B class. LOL! Hehe!

I know this for sure, Mitchell had a blast Sunday, had 4 or 5 20 minute sessions and took full advantage of that time on the track..so much so...he wants to go back. No doubt those sessions made 1 little guy happy this weekend. I hope you all, for future events, will allow him and capable small bike riders some time, however it may happen, to put their wheels on the non-beginner tracks in our area.

Thanks to all at Crow for that time.

I just remember that Mike used to run Mini practice on Wednesday,big bikes and quads on Thursday and Saturday. I have no problem with Dirt World running all the bike together. It's just nice to have some tracks run some spilt practices.

Original I take my little brother to DW with me and am very comfortable with him out there in an open practice setting. Broc loves just to ride and he will stay on the track for damn near 40 minutes before he comes in. Then 10 minutes later he's right back out there putting in another 40 minutes.

On top of this he really doesn't have a competitive edge like zmans Mitchy. He just likes to ride. Broc can't move out of his own way when it comes to speed. But he knows to hold his line and not to moronically cut the track in different places.

If it ever becomes too crowded ill follow him. I usually ride with him at first every session until he gets in his groove that I recognize.

I know he's not my kid but he's my only brother and I'd imagine I love him just as he were my own.

If we must split sessions lets do it. And if Trevor Maley wants to ride with big bikes too....more power to him. He hauls. Lets seperate by skill. Advanced 65/85 riders that are Loretta bound or regional bound should be able to go out with both.

But we need to stop this nonsense of having 3 bikes on the track. You mini quad guys and 50s/65s/85s should get a split and all big bikes should get a split. If you a/b guys and vet guys are scared of riding with c riders hold your hand up when you feel a sketchy c rider is coming in on your real estate and let him go on his merry way.

Fast 65/85s are the cream of the crop. My dad used to take me Wednesday night at dirtworld for minis then Thursday for big bikes. Let the super fast youngins out with every split if they choose. If an 85 lands on me it's no 450!

Pyma used to hold practice from 3-8. All big bikes and quads one session. Then all minis/mini quads and below another session. Then open the track up for all little guys until it was pitch black after practice concluded at 8pm. I can't tell you how many times my dad would have to tell me it's too dark to keep riding and pull me off. What if tracks brought that into their practice programs? ...If you're (you're meaning ANY MINI PARENT) growling that you don't want to stay until pitch black night then don't offer any more input to this thread. Learn to compromise and add meaningful discussion to solve what you people think are problems. My dad stayed out till pitch black for me and never blinked twice about it. I'll do it for my brother and for my own child one day I'd hope you would too.

Everytime I see people cutting my jumps i want banish them to the C track. I only normally see it on the bigger doubles that we have at the time. They will roll all the tables and cut the doubles. Royally pisses me off. Perhaps their skill set doesnt match the track??? i know i know, but how will they learn? I dunno, but there are plenty of other places to learn. Fields, trails, a neighbors track, fair races, the C track.

I tried at one point to warn people and tell them that need to pick it up and starting carrying more speed or they are putting themsleves and others in danger. I told them they need to pick it up or go to the C track. You want to talk about pissed off and offended.

Jeez. Didn't know I was required to jump everything on the A track to ride it without pissing the owner off.

Well said Darin, and to add I think we are pretty easy going mini parents - YES WE ARE!!! Crows did call us up for our opinions and honestly when I knew Darin, 007Dad were there I let them handle it we are looking for the same thing and know how our kids ride. We know that the big tracks figure a way to work us in to the rotation and once again I prefer the sessions. If I want to just take him riding all day I know I can do that too...

We weren't there very long on Sunday and left suddenly but from the time we got there at 11:30 and left by 1:30 he had already been on the track for I would say an hour.

We like Crow Canyon that is why we came after High Point. Unfortunately, my son was sick from being out in the rain at Highpoint, then when we told him to rest he took off with his buddie on the pit bike on a trail, the bikes chain popped off somewhere a mile in. My husband walked for 20 min to find the bike and fortunately fixed the chain, it didn't end there. Came home to find a tic on my sons chest. Anyways, for the little time we were there we did get alot of riding in. Great job to Crow Canyon loved the place as usual.

BTW, 007DAD is a really nice guy!!!

Once again CONGRATULATIONS MITCHY - sorry I didn't see you to say it in person!!!

Back