Practice sessions......

Jeez. Didn't know I was required to jump everything on the A track to ride it without pissing the owner off. Should put up a sign or something.

think hes more so referring to people cutting the track. i would much rather someone roll something (in a straight line) than cut the track. too many times I've seen people, while in the air, appear to be headed right back onto the track where you're about to land. not a good feeling... if you can safely and intelligently cut the track, good for you, i dont care.. but its the squids that go wide open past the jumps, not looking where they are pulling on, and also creating giant dust clouds because they pin it off the track where its not prepped... that aint cool!

think hes more so referring to people cutting the track. i would much rather someone roll something (in a straight line) than cut the track. too many times I've seen people, while in the air, appear to be headed right back onto the track where you're about to land. not a good feeling... if you can safely and intelligently cut the track, good for you, i dont care.. but its the squids that go wide open past the jumps, not looking where they are pulling on, and also creating giant dust clouds because they pin it off the track where its not prepped... that aint cool!

Yep Stacy got it. I don't expect everyone to jump everything, but if you cut the track at speed (avoid jumps), roll everything in the dead center, stop on top of jumps, or ride around at a snails pace, I don't like it. You are not ready for the big track.

I prefer to case everything as hard as I can. I think you should make a B track. Please put a roof over it too...

Yea my brother was guilty of that for a while. I put a stop to it. He's pretty good about rolling big stuff now. You cant cut the tracks in a race so why do it in practice?!?! Obviously sometimes you need to pull off but don't be hauling ass down the barren water truck road. First gear nice and slow like the pit area (and that rarely happens on the pits these days too) You definitely will get the a hole of the day award for doing crap like that!

Yea my brother was guilty of that for a while. I put a stop to it. He's pretty good about rolling big stuff now. You cant cut the tracks in a race so why do it in practice?!?! Obviously sometimes you need to pull off but don't be hauling ass down the barren water truck road. First gear nice and slow like the pit area (and that rarely happens on the pits these days too) You definitely will get the a hole of the day award for doing crap like that!

i dont know about that... i had an issue at a track a few years ago battling with someone... they cut the track in a few spots every lap... id pass them... theyd cut it, get me back. i never was so pissed and intentionally slammed someone so hard in my life lol... i usually wouldnt complain about stuff but i let the promoter know and whoever (i think it was d12 at the time) said well the track wasnt marked off there, so technically they coulndt do anything lol. guess im dumb for not just cutting it too:p

i dont know about that... i had an issue at a track a few years ago battling with someone... they cut the track in a few spots every lap... id pass them... theyd cut it, get me back. i never was so pissed and intentionally slammed someone so hard in my life lol... i usually wouldnt complain about stuff but i let the promoter know and whoever (i think it was d12 at the time) said well the track wasnt marked off there, so technically they coulndt do anything lol. guess im dumb for not just cutting it too:p

Hey now, the water truck road is my line! ;)

Split practice sessions are only a bad idea because most of the people complaining about it don't have kids riding. We all pay the same amount to practice. Personally I think it's a great idea. The last thing anybody wants is to come over double and land on a kid. I don't no one rider who go's to the track and rides for two hours straight. Everybody goes out and rides for 15 to 20 minutes normally and then comes in and sits down for another half hour before going back out. We have definitely been to more tracks this year because of the split practice, so we are definitely spending more money at the tracks and have a safer time riding.

As a Vet rider with a son who is still a beginner, I'm done with the split practices. With a busy schedule outside of riding (other kid extra curricular activities, a (more than) full time job and a wife that works full time), seat time is precious for both of us. If I know a track is having a split session, I will not go anymore. Number one, when I'm actually on the track, I don't feel I have "time" to actually practice. I go to Outlaw or Apple Cabin, I can work on a jump or corner over and over until I get it down. Then I can go take a couple of laps. No time constraint. Every split practice session is like a race. You know you have 10 or 15 minutes and then you're done on the track for the next hour. With a hectic schedule, there are weeks I can't even get on the bike. So when I do practice, I have to shake the rust off a little (so it's a waste of one of my three or four practice sessions as my arms are generally so pumped by lap 2 that i'm done). Secondly, with regard to my son, he is not tripling, doubling or clearing anything and he is by far not the fastest kid out there. When we go to Apple Cabin (his favorite track) he rides both the kid and big track (with the big bikes). I preach to him to just hold his line. He does and he's never had a problem. I'd add, that by him being on the big track and seeing what some of these fast guys are doing (as they go by), I think it's helping him to become a better rider.

I can go take a couple of laps. No time constraint. Every split practice session is like a race. You know you have 10 or 15 minutes and then you're done on the track for the next hour.

Bingo, hit the nail on the head.

Split sessions just plain suck. By the time the session is over I am just getting warmed up and relaxed. Then its off the track. Normally I will put in a few good 20 min motos after I get the flow going. In sessions I never feel I get to that flow feeling.

I dont think there is an answer to help every one out. I will also try to stick with tracks without sessions. Although weds at Malvern seem much longer and I get out 5-6 times in one night. No quads there though. 3 groups I think.

I completely agree, some split sessions just plain suck. However I'd argue not all. Some actually make riding better as long as you don't break the suck rule (riders sitting around more than 40 minutes). Baja does A, B, C all day long and I can barely walk out of there. Motoland split the track in half and did A, B, C rotating around the 2 tracks. There's nothing more fun than an A/B session on the C track at the cliff (you can have your own private session if you're suited up at 10:59am) Also any C rider will tell you they love C only sessions on the big track. I went through 2 tanks on Sunday at Rt 62 with 2 mini sessions thrown in. It's actually a nice break to sit and relax and watch a little dude on a 65 triple everything. So you see sessions don't suck as long as you don't break the sessions rule.

Things a track can do to not suck: Build a C track, a pit track, a starting gate, a corner track, trails, monster girls, anything to keep the natives from getting restless.

Happy endings track?

Hahaha awesome... X2

I agree sometimes with sessions I just cant get the flow going, this last thursday at the cabin I felt like I had to go out and pin it for as many laps as I could because I knew I didn't have that much time, well that just resulted in me getting the worst arm pump I've had in a long time after 3 laps and having to pull off because I refuse to wad it up and end my day because I was dumb and riding hard with bad arm pump.

Baja is an exception because the track is huge, they can handle more riders in a session plus the track demands that you ride with flow and not fight the bike, and a 25 min session like they usually run leaves you freaking whooped afterwards because the track is huge and there isn't a smooth spot on the whole track.
I didn't really mind the sessions there, A/B, C, and Mini's, kept it simple.

50's & 65's should never be on the track with big bikes period! As much as some of you think that they belong because they are just as fast or they know what they are doing are crazy. You are subjecting your young child to danger and possible death. Think about it before you bark back with some excuse as to why they belong. I have seen too many little bikes get landed on and hit into and it was really neither bikes fault. Split sessions are the ONLY way to go. The only complaint I have in split sessions is as soon as some bikes get waived off they go right back out on the track for the next session and no track personnel stops them, 85's are known for this. Either ride in the correct session or don't ride at all. Its not fair to get more seat time because track personnel doesn't stop it.

Just FYI, we didnt run groups last night because the turnout was very light, we did pop in one mini group for the handful of little kids that did show up. So it sounds like people really trully hate groups. I offered a handful of guys that were a little off the pace, or maybe they were just getting tired (no offense guys), a C group. Most of them ignored me and said they were fine with things the way they were. So, I guess the old no risk=no reward played out yet once again. For those who thought it would be slammed and sessions, wrongo, premium moto for 45 guys, and 1-10 minute mini group . I like nights like that personally as a rider, because the track stays so so good, nice dark soil, lots of space. Woody has a video on FB, I shared it on the BC page, just check it out, track was premo. I guess the point is that people can ride together, watch out for others, sometimes things go well in that atmosphere. Just an observation on groups first hand from the promotor

Buckeye Hills runs 20 minute practice sessions. 20 min A/B, 20 min. C & vet, and 20 min little bikes. From my experience there are only a few riders that last full 20 minutes. Everyone likes this because we run practice sessions like clock work. This also preserves the track from getting to dry and beat up to fast.

I guess the point is that people can ride together, watch out for others, sometimes things go well in that atmosphere. Just an observation on groups first hand from the promotor

I agree, I dont mind riding with quads and I dont mind riding with 85's. Just if im coming up on you please take an outside or inside line. Don't ride the middle of the track and stop my flow. I do the same with A riders and the smoking fast 85 at crow that was scooting around me. #4, ktm. Kid hauls.

I wish more people would incorporate the hand guesture. You know, stick your hand out if your getting off the side of the track. I picked up on this when I was living down south. Everyone does it. Its great cause you know what the rider is doing and you dont end up cursing him up and down inside your helmet.

PS, I may have cursed that 85 a few times inside my helmet at crow. That little sh*t passed me probably three or four times.

Back