man I feel like I hit the lottery!

Jim598

PR Addict
crazy story, A friend of mine told me about a yamaha that has been sitting in a garage for years, less than a block from my house. I knock on the door and a 85 year old couple lives there. there son raced this bike a few times in 83 then he went off to college and parked this in his parents garage early in 83 where the bike has set for thrity years. I asked them if they would sell it last wed. they took my number, told me they would give the number to there son and if he wanted to sell it Kevin (the son would call me). As we were pulling out of Balance Kevin called me, we agreed on a price and picked up the 490 tonight. cleaned the carb, put a make shift tank on, bike started on third kick. still has stock rear tire with the nubs still showing

Attachments

• 490.jpg
    490.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 198
they left gas in it for thirty years lol... there was still 2 stk oil in the bottom of the tank. at least I think that is what caused it. if you touch any part of the tank it crumbles

Sorry, but I would in no way equate buying a YZ490 with hitting the lottery lol. I'm even a Yamaha guy. Nice find and story though.

Jeffro667, lol you can tell I have not won much in my life. I have to admit I have thought, man that could have been a 465.or a 96 cr 500 or a 84 rm, or a 83 yz 250 etc... Lol

they left gas in it for thirty years lol... there was still 2 stk oil in the bottom of the tank. at least I think that is what caused it. if you touch any part of the tank it crumbles

Yamaha must have used different plastic for the 490 tank. My '83 125 has had gas in the tank since new and it still looks new. Looks like the fenders are made of the good stuff. The plastic tank and fenders on my '83 is the best dirt bike plastic ever made.

A fine, rare find even if it is a 490. ;)

My 82 YZ250 has a 490 tank on it.
Find me a nice YZ250 tank and I'll trade you.

The 490 tank tips my girl over cause it's too big as you can see :) :) :)
IMG_3455-X3.jpg

Yeah I talked to that kid last week. Sounds like a huge project, I'm holding out for that low hour one or two owner bike that you know is out there somewhere waiting for me to find it!

attachment.php

Mike, without knowing your actual situation in that image, looks like you perfected the drum brake stoppie.

My first front brake wheelie was on my first disc brake bike, an '85 490. Still remember a couple of guys doing them on the hill down to the start at Hocking Valley. I had to try it, even on the 490. :D

Back