Log Road Pre-Entry Deadline May 24

Vet261

PR Addict
Great time track turned out really nice! Raced 4 classes and had 3 motos back to back. I'm beat!

dmx153

PR Founding Father
Glad you had a great time, I was planning on going but got hit with some stomach flu virus that put me in the hospital Friday night and in bed all weekend. I had the bike ready to go and everything!

Vet261

PR Addict
Wow that's a bummer. I'm sure you were in for sure otherwise....:p
Shockingly I don't feel too bad this morning. Alleve is amazing.

These races are so much fun! Not the greatest turnouts but still so much fun.

So, since I haven't ridden the 450 in like a month and have two Regionals the next two weeks, I brought it with me to run a support class, hence the 4 classes. At signup the nice lady said "well I can't promise you won't have something back to back...." Ok, I understand. So then I see the running order and I am moto 1 and then moto 5,6,7! Moto 5 was the 450 and honestly the biggest struggle I had was going from racing the '84 RM and then getting on the 450. The 450 felt giant and also felt like I was riding on pillows around the track, so weird that it seemed like I couldn't 'feel' the track. I also did an awesome whiskey throttle on the 450 in the one moto....

Hands down the most fun race of the day for me was moto 1 of +40 as myself, Rob Miracle, Chris Wheeler, and Rich Sweat had an awesome 4-way battle all the way from the start to the checkers, all 4 of us you could throw a blanket over. Criss-crossing lines, almost drilling each other making mistakes, it was the most fun I've had racing in a long time. Wheeler held us all off and I ended it in 3rd but won the 2nd moto to get the o/a. (Miracle was in a different class).

Can't wait for Casey!!!

Jim598

PR Addict
Nice rides John, I don't know how you race that many classes. The hare scramble was tons of fun. We are really enjoying this series. Love meeting all of the friendly people.

Jim598

PR Addict
Ryan had a crazy day. First off he had really bad crashes the two previous weekends and starts a new job today. So decided not to race the hs. First Moto of evo 2 250a the chain broke going up the face of a table top. He went over the bars and pile drove into the ground. Then in the second Moto of none current Ryan and Allen were really battling passing each other back and forth, until the next to last lap when Ryan's throttle stuck wide open. Lol

mooch

PR Elite
I'd never been to Log Road before and now after riding there, wish I lived closer to go to more of their events...my idea of an awesomely fun and safe track!

John, props on riding 4 classes...you were looking good.

Jim598, thanks again for hauling my bike up in your trailer so I could stop by Toledo and visit friends there over the weekend.

Vet261

PR Addict
Hey Mooch where did you find that Pro Circuit pipe?

My '84 is getting beat. I'm thinking of doing a full tear down/rebuild after Casey and would like to ditch the rattle-trap DG.

beenridin

PR Elite
Awesome day of racing ,safe and fun.worked out a few more bugs n the bikes and for once that came home fairly clean.
Jack looked great again on the 125 going 1-1 and rode the 83 couch to a 1-1 with no DNF s on the day.
He claims the 87 beats him to death and he can't hold on. Go figure.
My day was good too as I ran down and passed for one of my nemeses twice late in the motos ...it felt great to race with guys my speed. Can't wait for Casey.

mooch

PR Elite
Mark, glad to do it. Nice job racing, even with a blown fork seal

I wish I could use the blown fork seal as an excuse for my less than spectacular 1st moto, but I didnt really notice the forks giving me an issue. I'm much more likely to fall back on the excuse that I wasn't familiar with what was on the other side of some of the jumps yet in the first moto. Jim Golliher from Toledo ran away from everyone in my class, he's got that track wired and won 4 motos in two classes...Jim also ended my 13 moto holeshot streak by holeshotting all 4 of his motos!

My only regret of the day was when Drew Wolfe and I were having a fun battle in the second moto. Drew passed me early in the race, then later on the last lap, I managed to pass him back for second but then proceeded to blow a shift coming out of the next corner...hello third place :)

Jim598

PR Addict
I had trouble learning what was on the other side of the jumps as well. Even though we only ran part of the motocross. Awesome place, I will go back for sure! now I wish I would riden the mx. except I am still sore from the harescramble... sucks to be old.
lol

Log Road was definitely a fun track! Great soil with the sand (except the rocks, thanks John). I wish I had more guys in my class to race with, but when multiple classes are combined it makes it worth it. My clutch was acting up all day so my starts weren't that good. I only rode the open pro which was combined with Pit's modern class. Had a lot of fun racing with him, except when he'd throw rocks at me! He seemed pretty upset that I beat him on a Maico. Let's just call it youthful exuberance haha. Hats off to him for doing 4 classes. Definitely exciting to watch the second moto battle between dad, mooch, brett schluter and mike wheeler when 40B and 50B were combined. They must have passed each other 6 or 7 times in that race and were wheel to wheel the whole time. Definitely wish we lived closer to the track, definitely worth the trip.

tb901

PR Addict
I wish I had more guys in my class to race with, but...

Did any of you guys stay for the post race "what can we do to help grow this series" discussion? Did anything come from it? This seems like a really cool idea, but with ahrma, this sort of feels like the Indy Car/IRL split. Does anyone know if people going to ahrma events? Just curious.

beenridin

PR Elite
We didvstaycfor the after questioning. They are committed for next year. A few ideas like less classes. More 125 /250 modern stuff to even out the field. Talks of pig roast type dinners to bring more track social time and entries. Second class discounts and better giveaways from sponsors . Heck more sponsors. One mention of better advertising .
I don't know what AHRMAEVENTS are bringing in but it would be nice to all be in one track at the same time!

mooch

PR Elite
We didvstaycfor the after questioning. They are committed for next year. A few ideas like less classes. More 125 /250 modern stuff to even out the field. Talks of pig roast type dinners to bring more track social time and entries. Second class discounts and better giveaways from sponsors . Heck more sponsors. One mention of better advertising .
I don't know what AHRMAEVENTS are bringing in but it would be nice to all be in one track at the same time!

I didn't know that was going on after the race or I would have checked it out. Did the Beerbowers mention what kind of turnout they get for their ongoing Great Lakes Regional vintage races they regularly hold at Log Road? Since they have those races, I had thought they'd have a bunch of local Michigan folks show up for the AMA series race. Based on the riders in my class, that didn't seem to be the case. Also, do you have any specifics on what was meant by "less classes" ? By the way, it's really great to see younger guys like your son Jack, Kyle Wolfe and Ryan Plessinger be involved with old bike racing as the bottom line to helping low attendance is of course more people being hooked into the vintage scene.

beenridin

PR Elite
I didn't know that was going on after the race or I would have checked it out. Did the Beerbowers mention what kind of turnout they get for their ongoing Great Lakes Regional vintage races they regularly hold at Log Road? Since they have those races, I had thought they'd have a bunch of local Michigan folks show up for the AMA series race. Based on the riders in my class, that didn't seem to be the case. Also, do you have any specifics on what was meant by "less classes" ? By the way, it's really great to see younger guys like your son Jack, Kyle Wolfe and Ryan Plessinger be involved with old bike racing as the bottom line to helping low attendance is of course more people being hooked into the vintage scene.
Actually it was my suggestion to have more combined classes. For example. Instead of Evo 1 125 , evo2 125 and Evo 3 125. Combine that to one class. You may get more riders in the same class instead of one in each.
Also. I would like to see the modern and non-current have more classes. 125 and 250.