Southwick

Well........someone is making money! If not the promoters, than MX Sports is making it, and screwing the promoters. Once the promoters are gone, MX Sports will go to these state and local governments, convince them to help finance and build them tracks in places like Utah, and MX Sports will reap all the rewards. Just looking at it from 100 miles up, that's what it sounds like, and looks like to me.

Your getting smarter and smarter. Dig around. Listen to ALL the different podcasts. Stuff is leaking out. Just dribbles here and there.

I think " The Moto: Inside the Outdoors" kinda started to show the cracks in the armor. It isn't a real family sport, and it has destroyed a lot of familys trying to make it big. Don't get me wrong, it still is a great family sport, but not always at the professional level.

I am not sure what is the overall plan, but hopefully it is more than greed.

Can't believe you guys in Ohio (or maybe you did go into a tissy) aren't bitter about the Kenworthy thing. Never went there, but I assume it was always well attended.....

Anyone who attended a national at Steel City and one at Unidilla, Budds or Southwick, well they don't compare in crowd size at all. I figured that is why that venue got axed. Simply didn't make enough money, even when it was on Labor day weekend.

I have always thought that the Coombs family had way too many hands in the pot when it comes to American motocross. Suppose it is no different than the France family owning Nascar, and they actually bought part of American motorcycle racing too.

Well at least we still have Tim Cotter running Tomahawk.....Oh wait.....

Well, lets go down to Tomahawk on 7/13, a Saturday. Give you all day to recover Sunday. This way you'll see it's a great track and you can race 8 lap motos to get ready for Loretta Lynn's, since most on here love that so. Chad said he would make it up to you with no entry fee, and I'll pay for your signup. Just PM me, I'll get it rolling

Then you, me and Chad can do some bull snitting about what happened down at his track and why it happened.

Oh, it is a Masters MX race, so there will be loads of old cronies just like myself who hate the AMA, so we just do our own series without them. Leave the minis home, and those parents that complain all day. We get in do it and are on the road usually by 3..

This is how we do it: 50 A start last Saturday. 50 B is second drop behind the start of 50 A. Find that kinda gate anywhere else on the east coast.

We had our smallest gate last weekend, since about a third of our regular crew went to TN for their first national, traveled commencement and graduation of kids from college, or stayed away with the 90+ heat.

And we race for nothing. not even an entree fee for the next race.......

And you don't have to join no organization to run with us, but you can if you want.

PS I still want to run some big race in Ohio with all the regulars out your way. I would like to race Dave Jones again. That guy is the coolest guy. I would only know him by his green Kawi. I really admired his 125 skills. He rocks!

I have always thought that the Coombs family had way too many hands in the pot when it comes to American motocross. Suppose it is no different than the France family owning Nascar, and they actually bought part of American motorcycle racing too.

They bought all the AMA Racing, I believe. Just that MX Sports won the bid to promote MX and use the name.

Well, lets go down to Tomahawk on 7/13, a Saturday. Give you all day to recover Sunday. This way you'll see it's a great track and you can race 8 lap motos to get ready for Loretta Lynn's, since most on here love that so. Chad said he would make it up to you with no entry fee, and I'll pay for your signup. Just PM me, I'll get it rolling

Then you, me and Chad can do some bull snitting about what happened down at his track and why it happened.

Oh, it is a Masters MX race, so there will be loads of old cronies just like myself who hate the AMA, so we just do our own series without them. Leave the minis home, and those parents that complain all day. We get in do it and are on the road usually by 3..

This is how we do it: 50 A start last Saturday. 50 B is second drop behind the start of 50 A. Find that kinda gate anywhere else on the east coast.

We had our smallest gate last weekend, since about a third of our regular crew went to TN for their first national, traveled commencement and graduation of kids from college, or stayed away with the 90+ heat.

And we race for nothing. not even an entree fee for the next race.......

And you don't have to join no organization to run with us, but you can if you want.

PS I still want to run some big race in Ohio with all the regulars out your way. I would like to race Dave Jones again. That guy is the coolest guy. I would only know him by his green Kawi. I really admired his 125 skills. He rocks!

Cant make it that weekend, Battle for Ohio round 2 at Chillitown......

Pro MX promoters make money hand over fist. Don Kenworthywould not give you CPR without first giving him $50. The Coombs family havebecome multi-millionaires on the wallets of motocross family’s over the past 30years. Now, I know there are ALOT of expenses when it comes to running a track(Been there, done that two times) but I also can do simple math. This week atMt. Morris there will be 20,000 people watching. At $40 a person that is $800K.Not to mention all the other "fees" like parking, multiple days,camping, food... and on... and on... Unless they are using cash as mulch andplowing it under with gold plated tractors they are making a s**t TON of money.Sure, tracks like Southwick are going to fall off the series. WHY? Well it isrun by a VFW and they have to watch their profits very close due to tax exemptstatus and the whole selling beer thing. <o:p></o:p>

Then consider LL's... How much money do they make from that little deal? <o:p></o:p>

Everyone must remember that motocross is first and foremosta business. ALL companies work every day to grow their business, reduce expensesand increase margins. This is no different. The biggest single problem is the sameas NASCAR, it is a monopoly. The France family gets all the $ from that and theCoombs family is trying everything to get all the money out of motocross.
The answer to all of this is right under our noses, Groups like OMA (change thename for national coverage) have to expand rapidly to challenge the big guys.It can happen. In the late 70's and early 80's Ponca City was bigger and moreprestigious then AMA. Of course you have to expand with a business plan, notjust some seat-of-the-pants idea (not saying OMA is doing that) The USFL didthat in Football and some of us remember how that turned out. But if there is aplan, and it is carried out correctly, the moto salvation may be in ourbackyard. <o:p></o:p>

This appears to be a daunting task, and it is, for one ortwo. But there are A LOT more then that is the France and Coombs “families” <o:p></o:p>
I am hereby volunteering my services for anyone or groupthat wants to take on the big guys. I love this sport and I do not want to seeit continue to disappear. <o:p></o:p>

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=420816&hl=mass++registration+bikes

Just something from a few years ago from the law that was passed in Mass. This article was about the same time the lead ban was being debated, but got lost in the lead ban debate... Pay close attention to number bullet number 5:

The act of riding a dirt bike in Massachusetts is in jeopardy for all.
The new regulations are anti ORV, anti dirt bike, anti youth, and anti American. It threatens our very sport. We urgently need to show support from all areas of the country because this effects you too.

WHY you ask?
#1 it sets precedence for other states to follow.

#2 if you share this sport with your family, no one under the age of 10 may legally operate a motorized dirt bike or ATV in MA on the trails, private property, or in a sanctioned event and is with out exception!

#3 If you are between the ages of 10 and 16 you are required to complete an on line course and a field course before legally operating a dirt bike on the trails or in a sanctioned event. Hard to do from out of state when you come here one week a year to compete in say a single event.

#4 If you recreationally ride or compete in sanctioned events (XC, enduro, turkey runs, HS, hill climb, etc) you need to show proof of sales tax paid or pay sales tax to MA before again paying to obtain an off road registration in the state of MA and yes this pertains to closed course competition as well. An orv sticker is now required to race MMX and other events. NO CLOSED COURSE EXEMPTION!

#5 If you race MX and travel this pertains to youth, am, and pro alike.
Southwick MA a staple on the outdoor national race series for years is in jeopardy . To race the nationals you will be subject to all of the above. All the pros bikes will look exceptionally well with a 3"x6" sticker placed on the shrouds don't you think?

There is much much more to object to in the regs pertaining to high fines, confiscation of bike for repeat offenses, and the loss of drivers lic for adults in regards to youths under the age of 16 and ORV operation if in violation.

From the above thread on KTM talk a few years ago.

Now this is from the Mass handbook of Off Hiway vehicle laws: about page 31:

http://www.offroad-ed.com/assets/pdf/handbook/ma_handbook_entire.pdf

Your OHV
Massachusetts Registration
◆ All OHVs operated on public or private property must be
registered through the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Those OHVs used exclusively for agricultural, forestry,
lumbering, or construction purposes must apply for an
exemption at MEP registration offices.
◆ Registrations are valid for two years for residents and one
year for nonresidents.
◆ Out-of-state OHV registrations are not valid in
Massachusetts.
◆ You may register in person at a registration office or online.
You will need to provide:
• Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (if vehicle was
purchased new)
• Bill of sale
• Proof of payment of sales tax
• Vehicle identification number
• Required fee
• Properly completed and signed application form
◆ After receiving the appropriate documents and registration
fee, the state will issue a registration number, an expiration
decal, and a registration card containing the vehicle number.
◆ For questions regarding OHV registration:
• Contact your local Massachusetts Environm

So wonder if this has something to do with why the Southwick National is going away in the future? You now must register your dirtbike on private and public property to ride it. Includes people form out of state....

Not sure, but I thought that I might bring up the point. Our AMA dropped the ball on this issue for offload motorcyclists in Mass....

Massachusetts is one of the most Liberal states in the country. Does it surprise anyone that all the Volvo, Suburu driving, tree hugging Democrats in the state of Massachusetts is making it almost totally illegal to ride dirt bikes?

This is happening all over the country. That is why people should join the AMA. They are the only organized body with employees and lobbyist in Washington DC fighting for the rights of motorcyclist everyday.

How in the world does government find ways to snivel in and change my rights ? My god. I can't ride a motorcycle on private land without a sticker ? It's none of your damn business what I'm doing on my private land. I hate government. They need to cut every damn govt program except for:
military, police, fire, social security, post office, Medicaid and public school. Everything else is destroying America.

Back