Here we go again... Where are Ohio riders?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I have to ask again… What has happened to the Ohiomotocrosser? I posted a similar topicalmost a year ago and I don’t think we figured out the answer and the resultsare getting worse year after year… but I did piss off Rocket last year, So I guessthat counts for something…lol<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Here are the FACTS. In 1990 at Loretta Lynn’s there were1092 riders (Less classes then today) and Ohio took 114 of those gatepositions. In 2000, Ohio had 100 gates… Then the MAJOR decline… By the time 2011 rolled around the number haddropped to 54 Ohio riders and that was from a possible 1415 (Coombs keep addingclasses to get everyone’s money).<o:p></o:p>
And the “recession” continues, in 2012 we had 34 of 1415 andif my count is correct we are down to 25 for this year. <o:p></o:p>
Last year the reasoning focused around the economy andpretty much that was it… The last I checked, the economy issues are not just inOhio (even though we have had more than our fair share) But the numbers areshocking to an ol’ fart like me. We havegone from 10.44% of the field in 1990 to 1.77% this year…WHY??? <o:p></o:p>
Before you ask, Yes the population of our state has wentdown as well... in 1990 there was 10,847,000 Ohioans, this year we have11,544,000… while the number went up it is actually a drop in the present tothe total of the country… but even that does not back up the numbers. Thepopulation percentage went down from 4.36% to 3.63% which equals a 17% decline… Translate that number and we should have 122qualified to go to Loretta’s. (Don’t forget to add in the additional spots availabledue to the increase of classes)<o:p></o:p>
I hope to do my part next year by having my son “try” to getthere in one of the 4-6 yr. classes but where is everyone else? If they add aV8 class next year I will try, figure that is the only thing that would drag myfat ass around…<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, just wanted to hear what you guys think is thereason. And please, if you’re going to say the economy…just don’t… I just read on the Battle post that we areexpecting 400 to 500 riders for that race. <o:p></o:p>

I have to ask again… What has happened to the Ohiomotocrosser? I posted a similar topicalmost a year ago and I don’t think we figured out the answer and the resultsare getting worse year after year… but I did piss off Rocket last year, So I guessthat counts for something…lol<o:p></o:p>
Here are the FACTS. In 1990 at Loretta Lynn’s there were1092 riders (Less classes then today) and Ohio took 114 of those gatepositions. In 2000, Ohio had 100 gates… Then the MAJOR decline… By the time 2011 rolled around the number haddropped to 54 Ohio riders and that was from a possible 1415 (Coombs keep addingclasses to get everyone’s money).<o:p></o:p>
And the “recession” continues, in 2012 we had 34 of 1415 andif my count is correct we are down to 25 for this year. <o:p></o:p>
Last year the reasoning focused around the economy andpretty much that was it… The last I checked, the economy issues are not just inOhio (even though we have had more than our fair share) But the numbers areshocking to an ol’ fart like me. We havegone from 10.44% of the field in 1990 to 1.77% this year…WHY??? <o:p></o:p>
Before you ask, Yes the population of our state has wentdown as well... in 1990 there was 10,847,000 Ohioans, this year we have11,544,000… while the number went up it is actually a drop in the present tothe total of the country… but even that does not back up the numbers. Thepopulation percentage went down from 4.36% to 3.63% which equals a 17% decline… Translate that number and we should have 122qualified to go to Loretta’s. (Don’t forget to add in the additional spots availabledue to the increase of classes)<o:p></o:p>
I hope to do my part next year by having my son “try” to getthere in one of the 4-6 yr. classes but where is everyone else? If they add aV8 class next year I will try, figure that is the only thing that would drag myfat ass around…<o:p></o:p>
Anyway, just wanted to hear what you guys think is thereason. And please, if you’re going to say the economy…just don’t… I just read on the Battle post that we areexpecting 400 to 500 riders for that race. <o:p></o:p>

Chris-I have heard tons of excuses for people not racing or even riding this year, that's right, it has trickled down to people at the open ride practice groups. Bottom line, the numbers are down. A lot of people say, yeah but this race was going on and 20 other practices, true, but the overall number doesn't add up to the last couple years. I have ran into several people that aren't riding as much or not at all. A common response is that they have been busy with house projects, kids sports, kids activities, kids don't want ride as much anymore, bikes are too expensive, i only do LL qualifiers-regionals, the owner of BC is a dick, it's too hot, I have a Cub Scout meeting.....blah blah blah.

Regardless, I would say the state is down about 20% on participation as a whole. Just a guess/hunch based on what I read, hear and see.

Maybe the participation is the same or even greater as the 90's but the talent pool is lower. Less riders able to qualify for the ranch. Us northern folk dont have the time available to train all winter like the southerners, did you compare those stats?

What about the economy.....I know you said dont say that but what about this angle: Is Ohio's average wealth down compared to other parts of the country? Meaning Ohio riding families dont have as much money to put 1000's of dollars into LL racing like people from SC or Georgia ...ect. I went to 4 area qualifiers and 2 regionals so far. I have spent at least $3000 so far not including bike parts and misc stuff.

Just my thoughts.

BTW ..... tap that space bar a few more times in there please! Tough to read a few things

And yes that BC guy is a dick

I can say that I'm not really riding much this year and focusing on my business. Need to get more money flowing in order to be able to afford a kid in college, a kid in high school, and a kid in grade school. All of their stuff takes away from my time and money to do what I like to do, plus my business is way down, the economy is still tough and disposable income is way down for a state like Ohio that relied on manufacturing for many many years.

I was there in 2000, 2011, and 2012 years that you counted, but not there this year. Sometimes life gets in the way of all the other stuff you want to do. So it's a tough call, but hopefully OMA will help build formidable racers for the coming years so that we have racers going in the future to represent Ohio. You've got to have good local racing to harbor kids that can compete at the national level in my opinion.

I think it is a combo of less participation, and added skill level. Almost all regionals on the east coast are loaded with kids from practice facilities from Florida, to NC... they travel north to hit another regional. It is becoming a money sport. In 1990 you had semics, tony d's school, and other moto schools but now the country is loaded with full on training facilities that have a bunch of little rich kids with amazing bikes... cant compete with that.

It would be interesting to see if there are large numbers of Ohio riders at the Regionals and we just aren't qualifying, or if the number has gone down there as well.

This is kind of wide open in my opinion. Having been around forever I have seen the highs and lows in MX. I went to LL in the early 90s and I don't think it entailed the commitments that it does today. In the 80s and 90s there were A LOT more people riding, and racing, and were more tracks around. I remember as a kid, while not everyone raced, some of my friends in school still had bikes and rode and what not. Today, I actually know of NONE of the kids in my sons school who race or even have a bike besides my son.

In the 80s and 90s Football, Baseball, Basketball and Soccer were nothing more than a rec sport. Sign up and play 8 to 12 game for 6 weeks or so. Todays world football for us starts July 29th, and ends 2nd week of November. Select Baseball starts in Feb and goes until July, basketball starts in Dec and goes until March, then AAU teams start up.....Soccer, that's the sport that has the never ending season. People in this state in particular I believe are playing more and more select sports. Everyone thinks their Johnny will be getting a scholarship to a big 10 school.

Then there is the economy. I know my wife and I both being in sales, have seen large decreases in our income, and while we still race, it is not near as much as I would like too. Anymore when I leave my garage for a local race, it is $200. Add in the cost of gear, bikes and everything else, and a economical motorsport is now not so economical to participate in.

I also agree that many more people in the warm weather climates are sending little Johnny to be home schooled and live at training camps, and this is allowing more and more kids from other states to get into LL. Ohio is a very blue collar state, and many of our racers do not have the means to go and live at training facilities.

I agree with Pit, I would like to see if the numbers at the regionals are down, or if people from ohio are just not qualifying. In my opinion, there are less even trying to qualify. More quality tracks to advance the skills of riders in ohio would help for sure, but even then, this state is becoming a state of practice riders. I look at the photos of open practice on Pitracer all the time, and it amazes me all the guys on newer bikes at these practice tracks riding. But one thing I notice is the bikes don't even have numbers on them. That tells me that these guys either have a couple bikes, or they don't race.

Congrats Rocket on winning... still sticks in my craw that I never won.
Hershey, It is hard to find data on household wealth by state by year but I will continue to look. I am sure that plays into it but it cant be the only reason... damn I hope not..
Spag, Trust me, there has ALWAYS been the rich kids with all the trick bikes that ride all year. One of my last years on an 80 I has Shaun Kalos in my class and he showed up in a super nice bus and had all the trick s**t. and then there was Eddie Hicks That had an all hand made DMC 80 worth 40K ...so the big money brats have been and will always be part of our sport
Yes there has been a decline in the number of Ohio guys even trying to qualify. I don't have the exact numbers but I would say that is down by 50 to 60% as well.
I personally do believe it has a lot to do with the quality of riders, which is a direct affect of the quality of tracks that they run. I went to the "Hardcross" I mean, Treaty City a few weeks ago and I did not see a single kid that "has it". Don't get upset if you were there... I just seen average at best riders on a below average track.
I also believe having an organization like OMA will help grow better riders. Better track equal better riders... no doubt. We just need to eliminate half the classes so we can run twice the amount of laps. Sorry but Little Johnny will have to get better to win a trophy.
And of course the BC guy has to be a dick..... I have to get to a girl scout meeting... damn those cookies are good

You actually went to Treaty Shity? I swore off the place about 5 or 6 years ago and haven't went back. I went to Crow Canyon another 1.5 hours further away, and I bet I still got home before I would have from Treaty and rode an awesome track that day.

Chris I've been on your band wagon for years.....LESS classes. Johnny does not need to have 3 or 4 classes to ride. But I think it is the promoters sometimes that want the extra sign ups and revenue, and you cant blame them for that with the cost associated to run a track today.

Always been the rich fast kids. Just seems to be ALOT more of them in todays world. But hey, that kid at Millville rode a 85 CR 250 to a moto win in 250B, so that proves the point that you don't have to be on the latest and greatest to be competitive in motocross. So much of motocross at the Amateur level is more rider than machine.

Yes John I drove up there.. watched about two hours and went home... Thank GOD for Maid Rite. Makes the drive to Greenville with it.
Hey I don't blame the promoters. I remember Shannon King back in the day at Dirt Country saying, "If two guys show up with giraffes and wanted to race and have the money, I would make a class for them."
I seen the video of the kid at Millville, that was sweet. That bike did not sound that good when it was new. Plus, on that track... that is amazing. I rode the national there a couple times on 500's and those hills and sand whoops really take some horsepower.
50jr 50sr run together
Mini Jr Mini sr. run together
Schoolboy and 16- 24 run together
25+
30+
40+
A
B
C

everyone runs two 20 min motos, Start at 10 and done by 5:30 THEN GO HOME
That should be the law of moto... What I say, shall be done... (My moto GOD talking)

Excellent points, top notch stats gathering and a helluva good query that I've often pondered. And I have no answers. I have some theories...

Economy is a real thing and plays a part as do injuries. But I do think its true that the average number of people who normally ride is down. In my personal group of friends, no one wants to admit it, but the jumps and technical sections have crept out of the comfort zone. Or maybe that's me getting wiser in 30s.

I also agree with the opinion that stick and ball sports have become year round over coached, overplayed to the point of burnout. My nephews trained year round for high school football. When I took my nephew out riding we always worried he would get injured for football. That's all good, but I played varsity sports and changed sports with the season and rode motocross all summer. It's just different now. Moto is no different with today with the year round focus. Best get junior to club MX, south of the border, or MTF. One focus on one sport.

I have had several 450s over the last 10 years and they are awesome, but I am now "that guy" with a 05 yz 250 2 stroke. I'm not even a 2 stroke die hard. I'm in search of fun at this point...and getting to work on Monday morning.

$4.00 a gallon in gas. When my parents took the family motorhome and went on vacation during thanksgiving week to mini o's all those years, I remember my dad saying: "My god, 1.25 for gas! Last year I paid 78 cents here!" 10 years ago we could travel 4 times farther. Practice fees were lower, parts were cheaper. Bikes were cheaper.

Nobody's 2-3% raises can keep up with the moto-inflation. It's turning into Nascar. In another 20 years it's just going to be on TV and we are all going to be figuring out how to carpool a micro obama-green car to Redbud to watch the elite drive in circles....er around a dirbike track I mean.

I quit for a few years to go to college, get the job, house, kid, and all that blah blah blah grown up stuff ( if thats what you want to call me). Now that I have all of those things I got back into moto, bought the bike, gear, and all new stuff... But now thats its my dime, I cant justify driving the F150 at 14.4MPG for two hours to go ride at a new track, back in 2004 ( on dads dime) yeah no problem! But its just to expensive! I went to Apple Cabin last week.. Grabbed food, drinks, gas for the bike ( at $7.00 a gallon) $40 in the truck, and $25 to get in, looking at almost $80 just to go practice! Its just getting to expensive and becoming a " rich folk" sport!

I think a lot of good points have been brought up. Year round sports. Everyone thinks they will get a scholarship.

Actually, the price of a bike is good for what you get. I have been racing since 1977, and back in 1980 we spent like $4400 with mods to our Maicos. Swingarms, shocks, motor work, welding gussets for the frames, wheels, and I could go on. Wheels were not bling-you had to have them or the stock wheels would explode on you. And it still was when we bought 4 -6 bikes a year because they would get trashed and worn very quickly.

People just don't have the disposable income they once did. I blame it on the government, they tax more, but maybe things just have changed that much. Maybe there are just so many choices for your time/dollar.

I looked at a ford F150 4x4 4 door truck the other day. About $50K. No wonder nobody can afford a bike. Even a little Tocama 2 wheel drive is $18K.

I still think 5600 for a leftover 450 is a great deal for what you get.

"I looked at a ford F150 4x4 4 door truck the other day. About $50K. No wonder nobody can afford a bike. Even a little Tocama 2 wheel drive is $18K".

Dont even get me started on Fords wonderful Idea to rid itself of the Ranger! The claim was "Rangers werent selling enough" when the reality is the Ranger was stealing F150 sales so lets just F the consumer!

Its simply comes down to cost. It controls everything. Everything has gone up in price while wages have barely moved. That's coming from a guy who actually got raises through these past few struggling years! Bike cost has just gone batsh*&t crazy with these prices. Keep your EFI and airforks I dont need it! Id imagine when it comes down to it for alot of people its either dont ride at all or just ride for fun. I hope it doesnt grow to the point were it is a sport for only the rich.....sure looks like it is heading that way.

As far as the tracks Im ok with the cost increase I guess. Most tracks have shown they will put that extra cash back into the track at least on a local level.

Everyone moved down south. The only states that can offer MX a full year-round schedule. We get roughly 6 months to ride here and the weather in ohio sucks. The riders are tired of wasting countless dollars on something that gives them no return. All the money I spent already this year, I could have saved and bought a nicer car, or took an extra vacation.

I cant speak for everyone but for me its all about the money, i just dont have it. Fuel is probably the worst thing, but the cost of bikes, bike parts, riding gear(especially boots!!), hauling rigs, practice/race fees. I figured everytime i ride a track within an hour away i spend roughly 70.00. Anything farther than that it obviously goes up quick. Racin is roughly 100.00/day(if you already have a membership card that is) within an hr drive. I member i used to ride Honda Hills for like 8 or 10 bucks a day! And it was sick!!!!!!!! Just my opinion.

Back