Here we go again... Where are Ohio riders?

My feeling is , and is just what I have seen over the years is a combination of problems : The cost of the bikes ( I quit racing in 1990 ) , the change from 2 strokes to 4 strokes has hurt the sport . The cost to maintain the 4 strokes is so much more expensive !! Also , the changing of the tracks to make it more exciting for the fans with giant doubles or triple jumps that you or either don't jump it , or you get busted up if you try it and don't make it . I raced mainly Honda Hills , COCR , Muskingum Valley and Dirt Country ... Mostly these tracks were natural terran with jumps that were a little more forgiving than the monster man made jumps ..They were less technical tracks and more forgiving for the less talented rider like myself . I ran top 6 in the B class but normally wasn't a contender to win many races . I feel the racing was even better than it is now . I know I sound old school which I am , but bring back a cheaper 2 stroke back that is less expensive to maintain , and MX tracks not outdoor supercross tracks so the riders can race and not worry about about killing themselves on a make a break stile track . The economy has had a huge affect on the racing world too , but it is componded by making the riders buy a more expensive machine race .

ck1racerx

PR Addict
We are not seeing the forest cause all those damn trees are in the way... Riders need seat time to get better. Promoters need money so they add more classes so they can get more money from each person that shows up. More classes = less laps for each class. How can we ask a promoter to reduce the number of classes when that is cutting his profits? And how can we get better if we only get 5 laps a day? Does this remind anyone of Fat bastard? "I eat cause I don't feel good about myself, I don't feel good about myself because I eat..."
It is going to take a special promoter to stop the insanity. 10 class combo's 50 jr and sr, 65, Mini Jr and Sr., Schoolboy and 16-24, 25+, 30+, 40+, A, B, C That give everyone the option to run two classes and every moto can be 20 minuets. Practice at 830 to 10 (Everyone gets a 10 min and 5 min session) start racing at 10, intermission from 1:10 to 1:40 and the second moto is done at 5pm...
The math works, baring any stoppages or QUALIFIERS because some many riders show up.
GP's sound fun but really isn't that just riding and not true racing? Nothing wrong with that but it does not save our sport or our riders.

One more example, Look what happened to NMA. Back in the day Ponca City was a big deal. They added 931 different classes which diluted the "National Championship" feel and poof...national gone... (Yes I know it moved to OKC but really, its gone)
Im just saying.

Woody

PR Addict
I will go as far as buy a bike to get a kid into racing. How about I buy the bike and OMA lets a new kid race for free at one race? We all know if you can get the kid on the line for the first time, he and his family will get bit by the bug. Im sure we can find friends and co-workers that have kids that may want to try it. Come to think of it. Can you think of ONE person that rode ONE race and quit?

Back a few years ago at Fast Traxx if you bought your AMA card there they would give you your first class signup for free. I thought that was cool and always tried to make that my first race of the year for that reason.

honda907

PR Addict
Lot of good ideas going around. I have to agree with the person that said more laps and less classes, but that eats into the promoters profits.

Look, I started a FB page about fixing local MX, and there where ideas from transponders, to Big Screen TV to watch the transponder timing to a bike give away to more laps, more money for experts, etc.

The best idea that I have seen is what they do at Dade City. That place does well. Of course our district shot that idea of running a series like Dade City down.

Here is a link to the races at Dade. BTW, last year you could watch them live on line with video and all. That is COOL! I haven't watched this year, so I don't know...

http://dadecitymx.com/

I think the hey day for MX is past us. Our society changes, and with that, the notion of young kids wanting or lusting for a dirt bike is gone like it was in the 70's.

We need some new organization to really change things up. I don't know what the answer is, but Motocross needs some good marketers at the moment.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
You know we could be part of the problem or part of the solution, getting to the first round of the battle series this weekend won't bring moto back the old days in a flash, but it will take another step towards it. Get to the Vern, make moto a priority, support the sport

Original44

PR Addict
I personally think that the number one reason for the decline in motocross riders are the lack of places to ride. I had a lot of friends that I went to school with that rode dirt bikes. We had a lot of vacant lots, woods and old gravel pits that we could ride at. I used to get home from school, gas the bike up and go ride till dark. Those days are gone. Today you have to travel to a practice track which takes money and time. The old gravel pits were great for a new rider to learn how to ride. Today a lot of new riders feel intimidated when they go to a motocross track, specially for a first time rider. Without the new riders the sport cannot grow.

Original44

PR Addict
I'm not talking about the lack of practice tracks, I'm talking about the places you just rolled your bike out of the garage and just went riding.

John250

PR Founding Father
44 I agree. We used to have about 3 places that we would hop on the bikes and ride a mile or so down the rode and go ride. No one ever said anything, and we did it. Now someone is riding on someone else's property and they put a stop to it because of liability and everything else. We used to ride in the woods on trails all over the place, and like I said NO one said a thing.

I have a vacant field that a church owns in my neighborhood. All my kids have rode in it for about 8 years. There are tons of retired people in my neighborhood, and not one of them EVER said anything. Just the opposite. They would stop and ask how the kids riding was going, walk over and watch my kids ride, etc. Everyone was good. One JACKASS that's 32 years old moves in next to the field, and starts bitching. Calls the cops on me twice, and tells the cops we were riding 90mph down the street......false. Second gear only, I want to be a good neighbor to my neighbors and not ruin a good thing. Being I am on city council, the cops really blew it off......to the point that a Captain told the City Manager, to tell me NOT to worry about the dirt bike thing, that his officers were directed to not take any action.

Well Jackass calls the Church, the same ones that have known we ride there forever......yeah I know the Pastor also, and the elders decided it was too much liability at this point for the church to allow riding in their huge empty field. Even though they all knew it was happening maybe once every couple weeks for about 15 to 20 minutes.

So JACKASSES like that are causing kids to not have a place to ride.......You know, a 65 was disturbing him in his home. Worst part about it, I've helped his dad out numerous times in the city with issues, and he gave me no curtousey. So I just left him know he is out of favors with me, call someone else.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
44 I agree. We used to have about 3 places that we would hop on the bikes and ride a mile or so down the rode and go ride. No one ever said anything, and we did it. Now someone is riding on someone else's property and they put a stop to it because of liability and everything else. We used to ride in the woods on trails all over the place, and like I said NO one said a thing.

I have a vacant field that a church owns in my neighborhood. All my kids have rode in it for about 8 years. There are tons of retired people in my neighborhood, and not one of them EVER said anything. Just the opposite. They would stop and ask how the kids riding was going, walk over and watch my kids ride, etc. Everyone was good. One JACKASS that's 32 years old moves in next to the field, and starts bitching. Calls the cops on me twice, and tells the cops we were riding 90mph down the street......false. Second gear only, I want to be a good neighbor to my neighbors and not ruin a good thing. Being I am on city council, the cops really blew it off......to the point that a Captain told the City Manager, to tell me NOT to worry about the dirt bike thing, that his officers were directed to not take any action.

Well Jackass calls the Church, the same ones that have known we ride there forever......yeah I know the Pastor also, and the elders decided it was too much liability at this point for the church to allow riding in their huge empty field. Even though they all knew it was happening maybe once every couple weeks for about 15 to 20 minutes.

So JACKASSES like that are causing kids to not have a place to ride.......You know, a 65 was disturbing him in his home. Worst part about it, I've helped his dad out numerous times in the city with issues, and he gave me no curtousey. So I just left him know he is out of favors with me, call someone else.

That's a lot of jackassery

honda907

PR Addict
I wish I could do the Battle series, but I have other series commitments. I have been following it, and it sounds like it is going to be good. I could possibly do your race on Sunday, but man I have a race on Saturday in WV at Tomahawk and that would be a haul overnight! 5.5 hours overnight..

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Last year we pulled a lot from out of state, what kind price can you put on the battle experience ? Plus you get a chance to play spoiler being that u would be considered an invader

stangbro01

PR Addict
What if some tracks had a smaller entry level track that had minimal maintenance done to it and beginners in cheap or free for that track only? I think anything like that would help the sport grow and pay off in the long run.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
I like the Idea of giving a free pass to new bike owners, or even people buying new bikes period. Maybe there should be some initiative there. Chilli towns idea of giving free tickets to kids 12 and under for race days was another good one

flyin polack

PR Addict
For me its the same reason I quit Pro Archery...I couldn't shoot as good as they could cheat.

LL is a tough place for a vet with all the x pros that make it. It's wrong. I could't beat them then and can't now by even more now. The cherry pickers that are seconds a lap faster than the top 10 in the next higher class make class designations a joke. Politics... the idea of working up to compete in a true amatuer event is a joke. Oh and by the way they only take 3-4 in the +50 class...Another great idea to keep people trying to go!

Mikki raced for LL for 3 years and each year the top 6 were pros...that's plain stupid. There was simply no sense in going.

4 strokes make the bikes cost more to maintain let alone purchase...and make the obsticles a ton tougher. The danger factor of these faster bikes weighs on a persons mind when he contemplates his house payment or job vs trying that triple that has been bugging you....

With the economics of today and the busy life styles we have to maintain, practice makes way more sense for 4hours @ $25 than 6 laps for $25 that takes all day.

GP's however...are looking slightly attractive. Slightly...lol

Spilldawg444

PR Member
The GP Race Day schedule is the awesome, but I always find myself wishing on was on the motocross track section of the GP track instead of running 5th gear through flat fields.

Back to the subject of this thread, it's true, we need to support moto in Ohio by attending races. A stronger/larger local racing group of riders will increase Loretta's attendance from Ohio in future years. The battle series is a great place to start. Bring a friend. Motocross, try it again for the first time.

Logan #34's Dad

PR Addict
We are atv racers and its the same for us...lower and lower numbers. There are many reasons people are not showing up and you all pretty much covered it.
Its my opinion that the biggest reason for low numbers is cost vs reward. In other words..if your kid is not heads and tails better than most then why bother. Basically the way WE are raising our kids to win or its no fun is hurting the sport. We father's bark at our riders when they "can do better" which stresses everyone out and takes the fun away. That stress for me comes from all the money and effort I give and he does not ride to his potential (or at least what I believe is his potential). And the higher up the competition ladder you go...the more stress AND money.

Jonny rocket

PR Member
If people spent less on "go pros", custom graphics, 1,000$+ dollar exhaust systems, tech 10's....and spent a little less time screwing your keyboard, we might remember why we were so pumped on riding as a youth. Most do not mind standing in line waiting for an I phone....But that 10 dollar can of air filter oil will put you over your limit?
Cut costs people!
My boy Trent rolls to the track in a Chevy Caprice!(Im sure you have seen it!) lol not because he cant afford that pimp worthy 4x4 f-150, he chooses what he wants to spend his money on.
If Second gear revvved out neck whips are what the future holds for local racing.....Its a sad day in the Crist house.
support the sport!

Logan #34's Dad

PR Addict
The ONE ATV racing scene that is flourishing is GNCC. Why? They are smart enough to keep costs down.
I don't know if you all are aware but the good ole AMA takes a ton of money to be part of them. They take basically half of everything. Makes it hard for a promoter and track owner.
As an example, we had a guy who wanted to offer a holeshot award to three random youth ATV classes. He was offering up $5000 cash for the season...10 races. He was told if he wanted to offer that it would cost him $10,000 because the AMA requires equal amount goes to them. Needless to say he was upset by this and didn't do anything.
GNCC got smart and broke free from the AMA which allowed them to cut the costs and they are doing great!

D

DTS

If people spent less on "go pros", custom graphics, 1,000$+ dollar exhaust systems, tech 10's....and spent a little less time screwing your keyboard, we might remember why we were so pumped on riding as a youth. Most do not mind standing in line waiting for an I phone....But that 10 dollar can of air filter oil will put you over your limit?
Cut costs people!
My boy Trent rolls to the track in a Chevy Caprice!(Im sure you have seen it!) lol not because he cant afford that pimp worthy 4x4 f-150, he chooses what he wants to spend his money on.
If Second gear revvved out neck whips are what the future holds for local racing.....Its a sad day in the Crist house.
support the sport!

image.jpg

Heading to OIR's practice I spotted this and was instantly psyched. I pull a trailer with my car and so I immediately liked his style. Not to mention during practice he was flat out hauling.

I filled up my tank for high point and got 489 Miles out of $45. Being in college, paying rent, working two jobs, and keeping my lady entertained, it's how I've got to make it work. I get to ride/race because I've made it affordable to myself. I wouldn't be able to have a 4stroke, a truck, and be able to ride.