Here we go again... Where are Ohio riders?

Logan #34's Dad

PR Addict
And they don't have eleven track destroying quad classes.
Quit crying... no 50cc parents complain about a packed down track.
The quad thing (track ruining) was figured out a long time ago by Bob from Broken Spokes.... run the quads 1st before any track prep after practice, run the 50's, do your track prep, run the bikes, and through the quads and 50's again - take the intermission for track prep and finish the day with the bikes.... worked perfect! Everyone was happy.
All you quad haters remember how getting rid of quads "helped" the bike turn out for AMA district 12? So many more bikes showed up that the district failed and is no longer here. Like one track owner back then tried to tell the rest of the track owners....quads help pay for his expenses and with out them he'd have to close down....and did.

hershey

PR Elite
So....quad bashing and defending is part of the LL equation how????

If we are talking about what the OP wanted then why this topic? You want the reality of it? Quads are part of the equation, they change the type of track our bike guys ride on. And it isnt the type of practice they need to get to the level required of LL or beyond. I have raced CRA since 1989, that is all I rode until district 12 had the last year of racing. The tracks were rougher and had more lines than a typical CRA race because there were no quads. They still prepped the track and removed the roughness through out the day though.

A few years back I went to Red Bud for Vet Fest. Eye opening experience. They dont disc the track because it gets bumpy. They only prep if it get dusty or if certain areas get to bombed out. And their idea and our local track idea of bombed out are entirely different! This year I went all out for LL. I rode 4 area qualifiers and 2 regionals. These tracks get so rough, are so demanding and (especially the regionals) are such a better caliber track. I can tell you there isnt a track I have been to in Ohio that could remotely prepare you for this type of racing.

The mentality in Ohio seems to be smooth easy racing surface serves us best. So the quads either smooth it out and make one fantastic berm on the out side or give you a relatively fresh track to ride on. Now BC seems to have the best of both worlds generally with the rough staying the two play together well. But even the Battle race in 12 didnt get as rough as the regionals were after 5 motos. So Im not sure if the quads have groomed this mentality or if the mentality brought the quads to ride and the tracks would prep like that anyway.

Does it matter? No. My personal experience is there are no tracks in Ohio preparing our riders to be at the level required to compete for LL and beyond. So only those willing to put the time and mega bucks into lots of travel time and training are those who will advance. With out riding in the conditions required a rider ant learn how to ride in it.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father

If we are talking about what the OP wanted then why this topic? You want the reality of it? Quads are part of the equation, they change the type of track our bike guys ride on. And it isnt the type of practice they need to get to the level required of LL or beyond. I have raced CRA since 1989, that is all I rode until district 12 had the last year of racing. The tracks were rougher and had more lines than a typical CRA race because there were no quads. They still prepped the track and removed the roughness through out the day though.

A few years back I went to Red Bud for Vet Fest. Eye opening experience. They dont disc the track because it gets bumpy. They only prep if it get dusty or if certain areas get to bombed out. And their idea and our local track idea of bombed out are entirely different! This year I went all out for LL. I rode 4 area qualifiers and 2 regionals. These tracks get so rough, are so demanding and (especially the regionals) are such a better caliber track. I can tell you there isnt a track I have been to in Ohio that could remotely prepare you for this type of racing.

The mentality in Ohio seems to be smooth easy racing surface serves us best. So the quads either smooth it out and make one fantastic berm on the out side or give you a relatively fresh track to ride on. Now BC seems to have the best of both worlds generally with the rough staying the two play together well. But even the Battle race in 12 didnt get as rough as the regionals were after 5 motos. So Im not sure if the quads have groomed this mentality or if the mentality brought the quads to ride and the tracks would prep like that anyway.

Does it matter? No. My personal experience is there are no tracks in Ohio preparing our riders to be at the level required to compete for LL and beyond. So only those willing to put the time and mega bucks into lots of travel time and training are those who will advance. With out riding in the conditions required a rider ant learn how to ride in it.

If we added sawdust it would get that rough, but what would that prove? Do you get permagrin from riding straights full of whoops and bumps. From getting your ass kicked and feeling like you did something? Ok. Sawdust it is. But I warned you. Perhaps before the battle we will add some sawdust in and see what you got, I predict lots of tails between legs

John250

PR Founding Father
I have a blown disc in my back........I prefer those smoother straights to the ones with 2 foot braking bumps these days.. Keeps me walking much better on Mondays!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
2 foot braking bump... now we are talk'n. Deep ruts in the corners (multiple and not just the one on the inside), big braking bumps with square edges, demanding doubles, triple and whoops that only the best riders can clear or hammer... I think it moved.... Yes, that is what we need to "make" better riders on a national level. I personally have never been a fan of the cars (I guess they are called quads, but really...) It is just two very different track set-ups. I am sure the quad guys don't like deep tire ruts from the inside to the outside in every corner. We biker HATE the shinny "Springfield Mile" corners that are left after the cars are finished. Just run them at the end of the day. After the last motos of the day, have a quad practice and race. It should take the same amount of time and everyone is happy.

nitrofish

PR Addict

Relax! The other dude started the bash. We Ohio quad people want eqaulity, we want to be accepted and given the same rights as you. We want to be able to walk our neighborhood streets and not be chastized because of our difference. Ok, we really don't care what the deuce bags say. We all know MX is on the down, why? Everything that has been said, everyone has a reason and it is not gonna recover due to various reasons. So enjoy the ride now because it will be harder to do later. The rising costs of bikes and parts, the higher operating costs for track owners and the government will lead to it's demise. As someone said earlier, it will be like NASCAR. You will be able to watch it but not do it. I think we can help the sport for now, but my opinions are opposite of everyone elses. Wanna hear em? Disclaimer: please do not get offended, please do not bash me, blah, blah, blah. Most of the folks at the tracks now-a-days are jacka**s'! A different breed that wears all the decor, does a moto then spends the next few hours in their white van texting and facebooking about how badass they are. The racer today wants to show up at a race and be in and out in a few hours so they can get home and facebook or text about how badass they are. The rider today only conversates with other badass metal mulisha wearing buds. Some days just being associated with the idiots keeps me away from the track. Enjoy the day, talk to the newbies, give a kid a pat on the back, give a lesson, thank the track owner. Quit being a racer during practice. Hold your line so I can pass you really fast and yell at the kid who had to check up for a double. Let me pass the slow kid real close and roost him in the face. If you would just spend some time watching real close on practice days, you see how many retarded things are being done. People don't want to come back. I haven't been out yet due to the fact I gotta watch the kid real close because of the superfast practice racers. The tracks get to rough and some are to difficult for the weekend warrior. There are more folks wanting to ride/race than there are that do. I want to, but just can't hold on for the rough stuff and I can't jump the big stuff. It's not cause I'm old either. As far as "we need tracks to breed the racers for Lorettas" whatever! If you are actually serious about winning Lorettas you need to go South and have a private track. Don't blame the local tracks for your failures at Vet Fest or super fast Suzuki racer day in Kentucky. If I wanted my kid to make it in this sport, I wouldn't be living in Ohio and I'd be broke. We just want to race for fun. That does'nt mean we don't try to win. That doesn't mean we don't take it serious. I am displeased if we don't win by half a track but It's local racing folks, relax go get 1st place and be happy! Should everyone get a trophy? Yes, the little kids should. That is one thing AMS does right. That leads to another topic. Fair races. Gotta have em! You fast guys gotta go to em! You gotta promote the sport! I don't like the kid racing the fair tracks, they are small, one lined and take little talent to win just a good holeshot. But ya know what? It's the only place we have spectators! So put on a good show, meander to the elephant ear stand in your gear and watch the kid's eyes light up. That's what brings attention to our sport. Go to the Hartford fair, the grandstands are full and it's not just your metal mulisha wearing,fox hat turned sideways bra's texting to you from the stands. Have you ever watched a demo derby anywhere else besides the fair? No. Well most folks have never seen motocross until the fair. Unless they actually stumble across it on tv, no chance of that one. Ok this is wasting my time, so I'll recap.

1. Don't be a dick.
2. I forget # 2.
3. Hey the sun's out!
4. Do I start loading the trailor for this weekend with the forcast of rain?
5. Squirrel!
6. Just ride.
7. Shop at fashion bug.
8. This just wasted 20 minutes of my life.
9. I do love you all and sorry I didn't proof read or spell chek!

KSRec

PR Member
2 foot braking bump... now we are talk'n. Deep ruts in the corners (multiple and not just the one on the inside), big braking bumps with square edges, demanding doubles, triple and whoops that only the best riders can clear or hammer... I think it moved.... Yes, that is what we need to "make" better riders on a national level. I personally have never been a fan of the cars (I guess they are called quads, but really...) It is just two very different track set-ups. I am sure the quad guys don't like deep tire ruts from the inside to the outside in every corner. We biker HATE the shinny "Springfield Mile" corners that are left after the cars are finished. Just run them at the end of the day. After the last motos of the day, have a quad practice and race. It should take the same amount of time and everyone is happy.

Usually you don't here the "cars" or quad riders complain about having to ride with bike ruts because at some point the quad riders decided they would be happy with just being able to ride rather than complain about the rut not being deep enough, the rut being too deep, the jumps aren't big enough, the jumps are too big, there's too much sand on the track, why is there mulch on the track, where is my supercross whoop section, these whoops are too hard, I only have one class to race in, why can't I race in 5 classes...

But you are wrong about Ohio being represented on a National Pro Level. Ohio has the most Pro riders in the ATV MX Pro class, so good job OMA.

trevor145

PR Addict
Another track is trying to draw in a better crowd with a good idea or two also.....

Click here

Half off second class
4 foot trophies
Other entertainment for everyone....
And they don't have eleven track destroying quad classes.

That would be TV LAND!!! www.tvlandmx.com
You don't have to whisper it just because some other guys jumped on board the race scene and have monopolized this board.
The lack of track packers lets everyone have 2 full practice sessions and 2 good motos and open riding after the races.
The other entertainment is X Games gold medalist Mad Mike Jones throwing down some of the sickest whips in he world!!! And some other local guy that can huck a ramp as well...
Come out to TV Land and see about sawdust, multiple ruts in the turns and whoops that can bite if you poke em the wrong way!
You wont be disappointed and if your training for a bigger event you can bang out multiple 40 minute motos after!
Camping, campfires, pit bikes and turfing the grass are ALL OK as well!
Trevorfromwherever

ck1racerx

PR Addict
OK, I must claim ignorance on this one. Do they have bike classes at a Quad race? I personally have never been to a quad race (if they exist) but I am betting they do not have bike classes. I have nothing against "quadies", "quadites", "quadons", "drivers"??? Whatever you call yourself... but it is simply apples to oranges.. big, giant, rut flatting, berm removing, corner scrapping, oranges. My last experience with a driver was at Dirt country over a dozen years ago. And that GEM had just got back from a moto when he schlepped over to the cooler to get him a 22oz Natty light and a fresh Marlboro to relax after his "race". I am sure times have changed, and not all "quadickels" are like that guy. Man, I have gotten WAY off topic.
I am looking forward to seeing some good racing by some good riders on a good track Sunday. I just wish those "goods" would become "great"

I have to meet this Nitro dude, sounds like a good dude. Look me up Sunday and we can do some bench racing. Natty's are on me.

KSRec

PR Member
Not sure you can call it apples to oranges when it's called a motocross race not a dirtbike race or a quad race (locally). Now Dirtbike National versus Quad national There are as many bikes at a Quad National as there are Quads at a Bike national. Maybe these up and coming pros you want to see should prove their ability by being able to go fast through a flat corner rather than relying on a rut to do it for them.

And save the Marlboro natty light BS for someone else. I have seen just as many hillbillies on a quad as I have a dirt bike crushing there natty light after there moto.

Maybe you should make your way over to Steel City next weekend to see some of those drivers, drive that couch around that track as fast as any of those glorious bicycles do. Yuengling is on me Ain't noboby got time for Natty Light.

nitrofish

PR Addict
OK, I must claim ignorance on this one. Do they have bike classes at a Quad race? I personally have never been to a quad race (if they exist) but I am betting they do not have bike classes. I have nothing against "quadies", "quadites", "quadons", "drivers"??? Whatever you call yourself... but it is simply apples to oranges.. big, giant, rut flatting, berm removing, corner scrapping, oranges. My last experience with a driver was at Dirt country over a dozen years ago. And that GEM had just got back from a moto when he schlepped over to the cooler to get him a 22oz Natty light and a fresh Marlboro to relax after his "race". I am sure times have changed, and not all "quadickels" are like that guy. Man, I have gotten WAY off topic.
I am looking forward to seeing some good racing by some good riders on a good track Sunday. I just wish those "goods" would become "great"

I have to meet this Nitro dude, sounds like a good dude. Look me up Sunday and we can do some bench racing. Natty's are on me.

Hope to be there Saturday and Sunday! Rain may scare us off. I don't do mud, to much $ invested in motor work that runs an open air filter. I agree on all points and understand the perspectives of the bike dudes. I just think we all should work together to improve our sport. The quad nationals is just that , quads only. Talk about a lot of classes! I think there are 35! They got issues too and the turnouts are low. I love bench racing and meeting new folks, that is what makes the sport great. Have you ever tried to talk to a biddy league football dad? Issues right there! Look me up, I'm the hillbilly wearing a cowboy hat, drinking a Miller light with a wad of RedMan stinking out my cheek and a hyper active 8 year old on a hyper active mini quad. Man, I almost fit your description of years ago. Nah, wasn't me I've never piloted a quad before. Now, lets get back on topic.

trent56mx

PR Addict
Been to Lorettas twice, I'm over it. Fun experience but didn't like the track.

Can't say I'm real concerned about how many fast guys end up there.

But hey they're from our state and that's a vicarious victory for us all. Go buckeyes

Vet261

PR Addict
You're correct. It is called MOTOCROSS and the MOTO part was taken from the word MOTORCYCLE.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motocross

Reading the posts on here about why Ohio isn't producing a ton of top amateurs is amusing. You people just plain have no idea. We've been practicing and racing on flat quad turns for decades now, again, you simply have no idea. Spend a year and go race bike events all over the country and then check back in.

I've been to a quad national. I think it's awesome and truly cool to watch those guys battle it out and in many ways I think it's tougher than racing bikes. But it's different, and people trying to say it's not different are just plain hiding from the truth.

The truth is that on a local level quad riders cannot support their own sport. They must rely on being included with bike racing or they would have nothing. That's fine, and I've spent 30 years in Ohio racing with quads (and earlier 3 wheelers). Now I'm at a point in my life where I am blessed to be able to travel and do with my income and vacation time as I please, and I choose to follow large National events that attract bike racers from all over the country and world.

Sounds like the OMA is all about quads and improving quad racing in Ohio. That's fine! Good for them. But don't whine and cry when I'm somewhere else because I have already been there/done that for decades.

mikeschaefer

PR Member
Swore I would NOT chime in BUT......Reasons why people practice instead of racing, Racers want the challenge, The rush, The ups and downs, The sense of accomplishment, The adrenaline fix. People who practice are content with just riding around and getting used to a track on His or Her terms. No pressure to get better. Just having a good time riding with friends and or family. A big percentage of the kids racing today have parents who race. They like it cause Dad or Mom does it. The other percentage of kids parents have never raced Mx or own a Bike or Quad for that matter. These are the kids being disciplined to Hold the throttle wide open and to hell with the consequences. These are the kids who become Non racers and just want to ride his or her bike for fun. ( I'm sure this will ramp up the opinions) I don't believe the whole cost thing to much. A racer will find means to race, No matter what. A person who practices doesn't need to go every weekend, And if the money is not there, Then He or She won't go. The future of the sport is not in one persons hand or a organizations hand. It helps to have good people in the sport, People who care and listen is the biggest thing. People with A organization who can take constructive criticism, And make good calls for the given track that day. Quad guys and gals should be able to compete on the same tracks as bikes. The last time I saw Quads riding, They are doing the same thing as us bikers, Let us be a group .....This is Motocross

stangbro01

PR Addict
Maybe these up and coming pros you want to see should prove their ability by being able to go fast through a flat corner rather than relying on a rut to do it for them.

You have obviously never rode two wheels on a rough track.. Or a smooth pavement like one for that matter

KSRec

PR Member
You're correct. It is called MOTOCROSS and the MOTO part was taken from the word MOTORCYCLE.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/motocross

Reading the posts on here about why Ohio isn't producing a ton of top amateurs is amusing. You people just plain have no idea. We've been practicing and racing on flat quad turns for decades now, again, you simply have no idea. Spend a year and go race bike events all over the country and then check back in.

I've been to a quad national. I think it's awesome and truly cool to watch those guys battle it out and in many ways I think it's tougher than racing bikes. But it's different, and people trying to say it's not different are just plain hiding from the truth.

The truth is that on a local level quad riders cannot support their own sport. They must rely on being included with bike racing or they would have nothing. That's fine, and I've spent 30 years in Ohio racing with quads (and earlier 3 wheelers). Now I'm at a point in my life where I am blessed to be able to travel and do with my income and vacation time as I please, and I choose to follow large National events that attract bike racers from all over the country and world.

Sounds like the OMA is all about quads and improving quad racing in Ohio. That's fine! Good for them. But don't whine and cry when I'm somewhere else because I have already been there/done that for decades.

Ahhh I think you are on to something here John. This is why the ArenaCross series is so well represented by guys from Ohio, all of those quad flattened corners have made expert hard pack arena cross racers. Now only if that bike only series in Ohio would have survived, what was it? I think it started with a D...