Here we go again... Where are Ohio riders?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
If people spent less on "go pros", custom graphics, 1,000$+ dollar exhaust systems, tech 10's....and spent a little less time screwing your keyboard, we might remember why we were so pumped on riding as a youth. Most do not mind standing in line waiting for an I phone....But that 10 dollar can of air filter oil will put you over your limit?
Cut costs people!
My boy Trent rolls to the track in a Chevy Caprice!(Im sure you have seen it!) lol not because he cant afford that pimp worthy 4x4 f-150, he chooses what he wants to spend his money on.
If Second gear revvved out neck whips are what the future holds for local racing.....Its a sad day in the Crist house.
support the sport!

Epic post!!!!

hershey

PR Elite
You know we could be part of the problem or part of the solution, getting to the first round of the battle series this weekend won't bring moto back the old days in a flash, but it will take another step towards it. Get to the Vern, make moto a priority, support the sport

And how is the Battle addressing the huge class structure issue people seem to have a problem with?

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
It's not, it's creating a must attend short race series where everyone from all over the state can agree to to get together, because these are the biggest races of the year. It's not the perfect turn key race series, it's just the first step. It's moving toward the types of events bucket listers drive zillions of miles to see, but it will be in your backyard.

At the end of this year, you will see some changes, the OMA decided to take a chance on a lot of classes, to give everyone a chance to support those classes, but now we have data, numbers, hard decisions lie ahead. And I'm shutting the computer off this Christmas......

nitrofish

PR Addict
The few races we have been to this year has had low turnouts in each class, but you do see the ones that are the lowest. I really hate to see you eliminate classes the first year, but it is business. We will miss the pro class.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
View attachment 10643

We did this growing up as well. My first couple years racing we drove a 1975 Monte Carlo to the track with the bike in bumper racks. Year later we "upgraded" to a 1977 Ford van. Hell, my first pro race at Pontiac we drove a Ford Windstar mini van. Parked next to the Suzuki box trucks (yes new guys, they actually use to drove to the pro races in box vans and not 53ft. rigs) And you know what? The racing was all the same... Adding graphics to your bike, a go pro on your helmet, and all the other bolt on s**t does not help you. 99.9% of all riders can not use everything that a stock bike gives you. Moto is no more expensive today then it was 20, 30 or 40 years ago. Its all relative.
Polack, I agree on the ex pro's at LL. We need a vet pro class. If you EVER had a pro license then you can NEVER run the normal vet classes.
Logan, You have fall'n to the dark side and don't even realize it... GNCC is owned by Coombs. The AMA is the greatest organization in the world compared to the evil dark lords know as "Coombs" Get out why you still have a wallet.
Love the idea of giving free passes to people when they buy a new bike. If EVERY track owner is not out at there local dealers today pitching this idea, then you cutting your own profits.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
The few races we have been to this year has had low turnouts in each class, but you do see the ones that are the lowest. I really hate to see you eliminate classes the first year, but it is business. We will miss the pro class.

I have a magic number in my head, as an average rider turnout.......your either above the yellow line or below it, but we have to ask ourselves will eliminating this class truly add more riders overall, will it make a difference? And I am doubtful. We could make racing free, and I don't think you could have 500 on a weekly basis, events need an identity, an "it" factor, something to motivate people to choose that event. I don't know about cutting the pro class, but I see a bunch of bitching when there is a mass exodus of tracks all in one year, just like the riders not choosing to ride or ride Ohio in one year.......don't scoff it could happen. That is a real concern.

John250

PR Founding Father
Biggest problem.......a lot of guys are racing qualifiers, regionals and what not, and some of those same riders wont be out to support the battle races. And these are the die hard LL qualifier guys.

I could go through and eliminate numerous classes, and I do not think it will affect your over all entry total too much. Many of these riders will simply find a different class to run. I honestly think that is a huge issue these days, number of classes.

I have always supported what Chris said, if you have ever had a pro license, you can not run the Vet classes at Loretta Lynns. Only a Vet pro class. It is a Amateur championship, and at the end of the day they are not Amateurs.

At the end of the season I am going to do up a list of the classes and see how close I am to the list the JO comes up with. But give OMA a year to work out some bugs. At least I see a few of these tracks putting out an effort. AMS used to be decent most of the time......two times there this year, not so good. Not sure what is going on, I am not too excited to rush back. DMC, usually does a decent job with track, but cancelled on a sunny day because of a chance of rain (I think this is a BS excuse, and there are more under lying reasons). Guys that went to Treaty City, said it was Treaty Shity, and that the jumps they built were horrible, and someone needs to show them how to build jumps and prep a track. Dirt Country, I like the place, and the dirt is good these days, but wish they would add some jumps back into the track. It is becoming a wide open flat track these days.

So what are our options? Places like Crow Canyon, Malvern, Chilitown, and BC......at least you see they are making a serious effort to change the look of the races you go too. And are trying to prep the tracks to their fullest, so that its not a hard pack dust bowl, nor are you riding in 10 inches of muck on a sunny day when it hasn't rained in two weeks.

It (OMA) is only going to work if people support these series. They are going a little extra on the BfO races, so these are the ones that people should have on their calendars.

nitrofish

PR Addict
My point is, give it time. Don't be so quick to cut classes, especially mid-season. You're new to us to. Folks are still racing CRA and AMS and are waiting to hear about OMA. You need to give the racers a chance, as we should give you a chance. Everything is down this year! Practice and race turnout is way low. This year is by far the least amount we have raced and practiced since getting into it with the kid.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I am driving from the Dayton area to Malvern just to watch... Trying to do my part.

I am sure that the "data" OMA has will be more then enough to justify any cuts. And cuts the sport needs. I am betting John's list of classes will look very similar to my list. Why? BECAUSE ITS PERFECT. lol.

So really we have two issue. 1. The quality of the racers that we do have. and 2. Getting more racers. More laps on better tracks will help the first. Free sign-up for first time racers will help grow the numbers (and the dealers should love that since it adds a free incentive for there customers) which should justify some kick backs from the dealers to the track owners.

50 Jr 4-6, 50 Sr. 6-7 run together
65 6-9
Mini Jr, Mini Sr. run together
Schoolboy, 16-24 run together
25+
30+
40+
ONE A Class
ONE B class
ONE C class

If cutting your 80 extra or second schoolboy or any other made up class keeps you from coming to the races, then just go to Wayne National forest and ride all you want for free. WE DONT NEED YOU. The site is called PitRACER. Its not a "Pit" if your just riding, then it is just called a parking lot.

If anyone wants any help Sunday, just look me up. I will be the good looking fat guy standing on the fence with a beer in my hand. (The good looking part distinguishes me from all the other fat guys with beer)

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
My point is, give it time. Don't be so quick to cut classes, especially mid-season. You're new to us to. Folks are still racing CRA and AMS and are waiting to hear about OMA. You need to give the racers a chance, as we should give you a chance. Everything is down this year! Practice and race turnout is way low. This year is by far the least amount we have raced and practiced since getting into it with the kid.

Keep in mind, we are talking about point paying classes, each track could still offer extra classes that they see a turnout for in their region, but I think their are some no brainers out there based on the first half of the season. Rest easy, we are not planning to chop it down to 10 classes, but we will consider all options.

hershey

PR Elite
I will be the good looking fat guy standing on the fence with a beer in my hand. (The good looking part distinguishes me from all the other fat guys with beer)

Classic!

Keep in mind, we are talking about point paying classes, each track could still offer extra classes that they see a turnout for in their region, but I think their are some no brainers out there based on the first half of the season. Rest easy, we are not planning to chop it down to 10 classes, but we will consider all options.

I cant count but it seems like Chris posted 10 perfect ones.....

GravityWrider

PR Member
OMA is the best thing I've seen for Ohio mx in my meager 25 years of riding and 15 racing. Let's give them time and support.

As for less riding/racing, most reasons have been stated. My "excuse" is starting a family, and my machine is taking a backseat for now. But expense of racing compared to the cost to practice and getting more seat time for your buck is the second factor for me - it's what's kept me a pro practicer the last 4 years. Longer motos (and as a result possibly fewer classes) could get me interested in lining up on the gate again, though honestly for me that might not happen til next year when the baby is older.

KX514

PR Member
It would be nice to have a couple of "one-off" events that experimented with the ten class structure stated previously. I personally would love to have a couple 20 minute motos. I don't think everyone would though. It would be cool to see how it worked though. It would also be kind of interesting to have somewhat of a local race that used qualifiers for 1 250 class, 1 450 class, 1 65 Class, and 1 85 Class. Best of the best on one gate at a place that could handle 40 riders on one gate. Never going to happen, but I think it would be a cool thing for Ohio MX.

hershey

PR Elite
Another track is trying to draw in a better crowd with a good idea or two also.....

Click here

Half off second class
4 foot trophies
Other entertainment for everyone....

John250

PR Founding Father
If anyone wants any help Sunday, just look me up. I will be the good looking fat guy standing on the fence with a beer in my hand. (The good looking part distinguishes me from all the other fat guys with beer)

I was looking for a moto GP type girl to hold my umbrella on the starting line if its 90 degrees again this weekend, but for some reason, I don't think your gonna qualify for that!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I was looking for a moto GP type girl to hold my umbrella on the starting line if its 90 degrees again this weekend, but for some reason, I don't think your gonna qualify for that!
I am so wearing one of those tight white dresses that they do. Make sure to bring me a can on Redmonsterrockbullstar