Here we go again... Where are Ohio riders?

Some of you are just straight up babies and goons lol

You should be practicing any and all track conditions locally anyways if you expect to go pro...

hershey

PR Elite
Was it low turnout why d12 folded? Think again about bike turn out compared to bike/quad turnout. I know one OMA track owner who witnessed a larger rider turnout once quads were no longer on the same day as bikes

KSRec

PR Member
Was it low turnout why d12 folded? Think again about bike turn out compared to bike/quad turnout. I know one OMA track owner who witnessed a larger rider turnout once quads were no longer on the same day as bikes

I know it wasn't, just trying to keep the wild speculations without basis moving forward.

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
If we get back on topic - "Why are there not more Ohio Riders at Loretta Lynns?" I'll give the shortened version of my views on this.

1. The lack of competition and lack of tracks that provide "national" caliber riding and obstacles for the riders. I've been to Loretta Lynn's many times over the years in many classes, and when I started, I left CRA tracks and went to D5 every week to increase my skill level. Riders were better, tracks were better, and I needed to become a better rider to succeed in bigger arena of Loretta Lynn's Regional event to make it to Loretta's. Later, I moved to riding a lot more D14 tracks in Michigan to get better as well. Without ever seeing the speed and skill it takes to make it at Loretta's locally, it will be difficult for a rider to develop that skill without being a natural superstar in their own right. Riders push each other to advance and keep up, so you have to ride with good riders to get there....... that's why packs of guys from the same area or riding buddies usually breed better riding.

2. The Riders in Ohio that do have "it", rarely ride / race in Ohio. They already know where they need to go to find the racers / tracks that will get them to the big show, and they leave Ohio to do it. Bringing along a great track like Briarcliff or the now Defunct Scenic Highlands helps build up our skill level and our speed, but we don't have a real "national" track left anymore. Kenworthy's used to bring up a lot of D11 fast guys, but with the death of Kenworthy's went the death of Ohio National Local speed. I race at Red Bud more than any other place on earth, it's 4 hours from my house, but I know that I'm going to be racing against good racers and on a good track when I go. Skills developed in places like that help anywhere you go.

3. All the other reasons already mentioned - Money, Other sports taking up a full year now, race vs practice, riders moving to training facilities down south, etc etc all filter in little by little. But without a home grown talent pool racing on difficult tracks, we're on a decline in the national scene. OMA is trying, but it's a process to build tracks, racers, and followers that are willing to ride right here and now to make it.

In short, if I were racing Loretta's this year, I'd be racing at Red Bud, Baja Acres, and other "big" tracks to get ready (regionals were at Millville, Baja Acres, and Budds Creek this year and we have nothing to ride at home really to get ready for any of those tracks). I'd be practicing at Smith Rd on Wed nights (because it's close and gives great passing practice and lots of turning practice) and hitting up BC on weekends they are open to work on myself as a rider and racer, and dial in my bike.

I applaud OMA for their dedication to bring racing back to OHIO in a good way, and hope that our local little guys can band together and teach each other how to race as they grow up together on the track, but as we saw in many posts earlier this year about 50's on big tracks..... the kids already fall behind the curve by the time they are 9 and on a 65 if they don't go elsewhere to run 50's on big tracks wit big ruts, jumps, and bumps. The future is the 50 class, and if you put them on little peewee tracks all the time, they grow up to riding smaller tracks without the big stuff since they never learned it when they were young. They go to Loretta Lynn's qualifiers outside OHIO and are thrown on a big track with the big bikes and have no idea what to do...... it's a vicious circle.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
35ntno.jpg
Cuzzz stuffs bout to get craaaazzzyyy.....

#23_Racing

PR Addict
To much money to chase the LL dream for the pay out. That's why we stopped chasing 2 years ago just never had the money to dump into bike prep so we saved a ton of money now working on his Pro license something that will help him more in the future than just saying he made it to the ranch. I said it before and I will say it again the 40 0n the gate at LL is not the 40 fastest in the world in that , yes I would say it has some of the fastest but guarantee there are faster kids at home that just had bad luck or just not enough money to go. I see kids racing the C class for 3 years already and have not made it they have 4-5 prepped bikes and endless funds they travel all over the country riding and racing just to make it to LL. Just not worth it the ranch is just a money pit and only for the people that have money. They should change it to the 40 riders with the most money get a spot on the gate.

MX099

PR Addict
23 you are really confused. If you think LL is too much money wait till you try to make a pro national as a privateer. Just be happy as an A rider, run as many pro-am races as you can find and you may put some money in the bank.
All of you local Pro license holders, back me up on this one.

Judnash

PR Addict
If we get back on topic - "Why are there not more Ohio Riders at Loretta Lynns?" I'll give the shortened version of my views on this.

1. The lack of competition and lack of tracks that provide "national" caliber riding and obstacles for the riders. I've been to Loretta Lynn's many times over the years in many classes, and when I started, I left CRA tracks and went to D5 every week to increase my skill level. Riders were better, tracks were better, and I needed to become a better rider to succeed in bigger arena of Loretta Lynn's Regional event to make it to Loretta's. Later, I moved to riding a lot more D14 tracks in Michigan to get better as well. Without ever seeing the speed and skill it takes to make it at Loretta's locally, it will be difficult for a rider to develop that skill without being a natural superstar in their own right. Riders push each other to advance and keep up, so you have to ride with good riders to get there....... that's why packs of guys from the same area or riding buddies usually breed better riding.

2. The Riders in Ohio that do have "it", rarely ride / race in Ohio. They already know where they need to go to find the racers / tracks that will get them to the big show, and they leave Ohio to do it. Bringing along a great track like Briarcliff or the now Defunct Scenic Highlands helps build up our skill level and our speed, but we don't have a real "national" track left anymore. Kenworthy's used to bring up a lot of D11 fast guys, but with the death of Kenworthy's went the death of Ohio National Local speed. I race at Red Bud more than any other place on earth, it's 4 hours from my house, but I know that I'm going to be racing against good racers and on a good track when I go. Skills developed in places like that help anywhere you go.

3. All the other reasons already mentioned - Money, Other sports taking up a full year now, race vs practice, riders moving to training facilities down south, etc etc all filter in little by little. But without a home grown talent pool racing on difficult tracks, we're on a decline in the national scene. OMA is trying, but it's a process to build tracks, racers, and followers that are willing to ride right here and now to make it.

In short, if I were racing Loretta's this year, I'd be racing at Red Bud, Baja Acres, and other "big" tracks to get ready (regionals were at Millville, Baja Acres, and Budds Creek this year and we have nothing to ride at home really to get ready for any of those tracks). I'd be practicing at Smith Rd on Wed nights (because it's close and gives great passing practice and lots of turning practice) and hitting up BC on weekends they are open to work on myself as a rider and racer, and dial in my bike.

I applaud OMA for their dedication to bring racing back to OHIO in a good way, and hope that our local little guys can band together and teach each other how to race as they grow up together on the track, but as we saw in many posts earlier this year about 50's on big tracks..... the kids already fall behind the curve by the time they are 9 and on a 65 if they don't go elsewhere to run 50's on big tracks wit big ruts, jumps, and bumps. The future is the 50 class, and if you put them on little peewee tracks all the time, they grow up to riding smaller tracks without the big stuff since they never learned it when they were young. They go to Loretta Lynn's qualifiers outside OHIO and are thrown on a big track with the big bikes and have no idea what to do...... it's a vicious circle.

nice post

TimSr90

PR Addict
I have to give credit to anyone for having the imagination and the time to come up with a contorted explanation as to how a decline in Ohio racers at LL can be blamed on quads.

Has overall turnout declined, or only the percentage from Ohio? If only the Ohio percentage, then what places are experiencing increases? Why? I think your going to find that the number of total people in Ohio who actively race has declined, and those who do, do it less often. You'll probably find the same in most other places, which would make travel distance the primary factor.

Personally, I don't think the answer is all that complicated. We have been in a 5 year recession/depression and being told we are in recovery that nobody has seemed to notice. Average family incomes have declined significantly. Gasoline prices have doubled. When you can't pay your bills, the first thing on the chopping block is recreation and hobbies.

The greatest expense for me is fuel to get to there, and my humble G30 box truck gets 11mpg, so I'm sure those driving something like that giant Malvern rig are feeling far more pain than me!

The next biggest expense is the event itself when you add up all the fees for each member of your family. The one day local events aren't so bad but some of those big weekend multi-events can cost hundreds for a family. As turnout declines, and fuel and insurance expenses for a track increase, they instinctively raise prices, which can cause further decline in turnout. They are hurting and not making any money after expenses, but there is always a point at which increased prices do not mean increased revenue when it causes attendance to decline. What does it cost in total including transportation costs, for a NE Ohio family of 4, with two riders to attend LL for the duration?

MX is a sport for the rich. Today there are far less of them. If anybody can come up with a way to reduce expenses enough to include the non-rich, they will save the sport. If America become serious about being an oil producer and driving gasoline prices to 2007 levels, it will save the sport. If we ever have a pre-2007 economy, it will save the sport.

halffast

PR Elite
Tim , as always a voice of common sense and reason . Good post . Those of us who are old enough to have been racing/riding since the 60's or 70's remember how inexpensive it was then . Bikes , repairs , fuel , etc. were comparatively cheap and there simply weren't as many mods or add-ons available as now . You could " run what ya brung " and be competitive . The " average Joe " could afford to race and travel . I agree that economic reasons are the #1 cause of the decline of the sport .

The fast guys blessed with natural talent ( we all know the type ) will be fast anywhere and can adapt to tracks and conditions quickly . Backers/sponsors recognize them and these guys "make it " no matter where they are from . Less talented racers who must develop their skills to achieve racing's top level are hard pressed to afford the equipment , time , etc. needed to pursue the " dream " . No doubt , racing against faster riders on more challenging tracks will make you better in turn . Some areas of the country are hotbeds due to climate , longer riding seasons , more venues , etc . but IMO it still boils down to $$$ .

Oh , and I still can't believe that such a sensible guy as TimSR rides those trike thingies !

#23_Racing

PR Addict
23 you are really confused. If you think LL is too much money wait till you try to make a pro national as a privateer. Just be happy as an A rider, run as many pro-am races as you can find and you may put some money in the bank.
All of you local Pro license holders, back me up on this one.

Not confused running a pro national will benefit a rider way more than lining up on a gate at LL. Also saying the money someone could save chasing the dream for LL could be better spent in a trainer or just hitting big events.

Lotts24

PR Elite
What they are trying to say is it's a lot cheaper to chase the LL dream then it is to get on the gate at a national.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Alright, Time for me to spit some more fact at ya,
For those of you still kicking the dead horse of "It cost more now"... Just do a simple comparison that ANYONE can pull off the interweb.
Gas prices: 1990= $1.16 today= 3.48 that is up 300% BUT the average trip to and from the track is 120 miles. Average miles per gallon in 1990 (In my bad ass Ford Van) was 16mph today my truck gets 24mpg so the trip would have cost $8.70 in 1990, today it would cost $17.4.
Bike Cost: 1990 a new KX250 would set you back $3250 MSRP. Today a KX450F MSRP is $8699. Now that is a BIG jump But who pays MSRP? Break it down by week to relate to racing. (Divide by 26 for a weekly charge) 1990= $125, 2013= $334 a week.
Gate fee: 1990 at Kenworthy it was $9 2013 = $10
Gear (Helmet, boots, pant, jersey, goggles) 1990= $525, 2013= $475 This is just average gear. Remember today there are a lot more company's making gear.

SO.. A total weekly expense in 1990 was $177 and today that number is $404... I major increase, no dout... BUT (you knew I would have a BUT) the average American income over the same time with from $27,922 to $48,152
That makes the total: 1990 it was 33% of a weekly income to race. 2013 it is 43%.... or 10% more.

Motocross has ALWAYS been expensive. BUT there are several ways of saving money. NUMBER 1. A STOCK BIKE IS MORE THEN COMPETITIVE. Unless you are winning the stock class at LL then there are other guys getting more out of their STOCK bike then you. (In 1990 I rode a 2 day old, fresh off the dealer floor, KX250 in the Daytona Supercross) .

Truth sometimes hurts... You are not good enough to modify your race bike. Moto cost money (get over it, it always has and always will, and the cost are the same in EVERY state), There are less "quality" motocross tracks. We run less laps.

One last thing that I just cant get over. To ANYONE talking about the cost. Again, watch the video of the kid at Millville.

#23_Racing

PR Addict
When we was running hard it would cost us $700-$1000 each weekend to race 85's depending on what part of the country we where racing. I understand nationals are not cheap just saying chasing can cost just as much.