Here we go again... Where are Ohio riders?

Alright, Time for me to spit some more fact at ya,
For those of you still kicking the dead horse of "It cost more now"... Just do a simple comparison that ANYONE can pull off the interweb.
Gas prices: 1990= $1.16 today= 3.48 that is up 300% BUT the average trip to and from the track is 120 miles. Average miles per gallon in 1990 (In my bad ass Ford Van) was 16mph today my truck gets 24mpg so the trip would have cost $8.70 in 1990, today it would cost $17.4.
Bike Cost: 1990 a new KX250 would set you back $3250 MSRP. Today a KX450F MSRP is $8699. Now that is a BIG jump But who pays MSRP? Break it down by week to relate to racing. (Divide by 26 for a weekly charge) 1990= $125, 2013= $334 a week.
Gate fee: 1990 at Kenworthy it was $9 2013 = $10
Gear (Helmet, boots, pant, jersey, goggles) 1990= $525, 2013= $475 This is just average gear. Remember today there are a lot more company's making gear.

SO.. A total weekly expense in 1990 was $177 and today that number is $404... I major increase, no dout... BUT (you knew I would have a BUT) the average American income over the same time with from $27,922 to $48,152
That makes the total: 1990 it was 33% of a weekly income to race. 2013 it is 43%.... or 10% more.

Motocross has ALWAYS been expensive. BUT there are several ways of saving money. NUMBER 1. A STOCK BIKE IS MORE THEN COMPETITIVE. Unless you are winning the stock class at LL then there are other guys getting more out of their STOCK bike then you. (In 1990 I rode a 2 day old, fresh off the dealer floor, KX250 in the Daytona Supercross) .

Truth sometimes hurts... You are not good enough to modify your race bike. Moto cost money (get over it, it always has and always will, and the cost are the same in EVERY state), There are less "quality" motocross tracks. We run less laps.

One last thing that I just cant get over. To ANYONE talking about the cost. Again, watch the video of the kid at Millville.

The biggest difference is that people aren't as willing to stomach the cost as much as they once were. "Other" things to do. Can a generation of motocrossers burn out? I think we are witness to it.

Also it is amazing how materialistic people are these days. People living on credit, and not staying within their reasonable means of affordability. Everyone has to have a big house, expensive car/truck, and play Mr. Big. Where did all the modest people go?

Where did all the modest people go?

They're living nicely in the Cayman islands now. ;)

ck1racerx said:
Gear (Helmet, boots, pant, jersey, goggles) 1990= $525, 2013= $475

How do you figure gear being that cheap? Are you wearing a plasti-shell vega helmet? Some chinsy ankle rolling boots......no knee braces.....? Yes you can get pant, jersey, glove and goggles for incredibly cheap. But last I checked helmet, knee brace, boots were not cheap. Even the chinese cheapos boots are $300 a pop.

Let's say cheap end on gear:
helmet: 350(cheapest high end helmet); cheapo $70 (vega hope you dont fall walking while wearing it or you'll have a concussion)
Pants: 160; On sale $100
Jersey 50; On sale $25
Goggles $60; cheapo $25
Boots $300; cheapo $200? (heck Gaernes, Sidi and Astars are over 500 alone, they're quality boots too.)
I'm at $920, without knee braces.
And for cheapo I'm at 420.

Nevertheless don't forget some wear a $2-400 neck brace.
Most wear knee braces at 160-400 a side. Average $320-$800 set....
Knee pads you might be able to get on sale for $40.....most cost $50-60.

How did you figure the cost of gear lol??? (Not tryin to fight with you, just wondering how you're getting gear that cheap.)
total:

Also it is amazing how materialistic people are these days. People living on credit, and not staying within their reasonable means of affordability. Everyone has to have a big house, expensive car/truck, and play Mr. Big. Where did all the modest people go?

There is the problem Ron. You nailed it. Everyone has to have all the bling (I cant believe I just used that word). Right here is Mr. Modest baby... 100K home, 2 used cars, No credit cards, Not trying to keep up with the Jones... as a matter of fact, I don't even know the Jones, but they sound like *******s. And I am damn good looking... well, maybe I need to work on that modest thing...

I have been thinking a lot of the "free bike" thing and it may work. If we can get some people to donate some gear and bikes, then have tracks create a free one time sign up and gate fee for new riders, that may help get people addicted. A current riders could "sponsor" a newbie (tell them about it and maybe even bring them) and if that newbie returns for the next race, the rider that sponsored them get to race for free. Sounds like a win, win.
If we think it will work, I will help put it together.

Hey, anything to help.

Bah... LOL. Got one more thing to add...

Out of all my friends in my generation (let's say.....15-20 I still keep in contact with...) (I'm 26) I know 4 who aren't living at home and have a decent job. The rest aren't coming close to your 48k/year projected income. And some of the ones that are making your 48k/year estimate are hocking 400-1000/mo in Student loans. yeah, I know there fault for taking on that debt blah blah....but the average american isn't making 48,000, they're still making 24-28,000....

It's beginning to turn into the modest people aren't able to afford to race anymore....

They're living nicely in the Cayman islands now. ;)

How do you figure gear being that cheap? Are you wearing a plasti-shell vega helmet? Some chinsy ankle rolling boots......no knee braces.....? Yes you can get pant, jersey, glove and goggles for incredibly cheap. But last I checked helmet, knee brace, boots were not cheap. Even the chinese cheapos boots are $300 a pop.

Let's say cheap end on gear:
helmet: 350(cheapest high end helmet); cheapo $70 (vega hope you dont fall walking while wearing it or you'll have a concussion)
Pants: 160; On sale $100
Jersey 50; On sale $25
Goggles $60; cheapo $25
Boots $300; cheapo $200? (heck Gaernes, Sidi and Astars are over 500 alone, they're quality boots too.)
I'm at $920, without knee braces.
And for cheapo I'm at 420.

Nevertheless don't forget some wear a $2-400 neck brace.
Most wear knee braces at 160-400 a side. Average $320-$800 set....
Knee pads you might be able to get on sale for $40.....most cost $50-60.

How did you figure the cost of gear lol??? (Not tryin to fight with you, just wondering how you're getting gear that cheap.)
total:

BTO Sports right now
Fly Pants, Jersey, Gloves 84.98
Fly Boots. 89.00
Fly Helmet 99
Fly Goggles 18
Knee pads 19
Total 309.98

Mouse Traps (neck braces) and knee braces are for pussies.

No, its not the best gear but I have NEVER seen clothes make someone fast.

Out of all my friends in my generation (let's say.....15-20 I still keep in contact with...) (I'm 26) I know 4 who aren't living at home and have a decent job. The rest aren't coming close to your 48k/year projected income. And some of the ones that are making your 48k/year estimate are hocking 400-1000/mo in Student loans. yeah, I know there fault for taking on that debt blah blah....but the average american isn't making 48,000, they're still making 24-28,000....

It's beginning to turn into the modest people aren't able to afford to race anymore....

Georgie. 48K is the national average according to the United States government and private institutions. And don't forget that is HOUSEHOLD income

Scary reading Baker, Chris is wrong though.

Check it out here

there are other things that are different now.

besides a truck costing 35k new
Cell phone 50 bucks... more for smart phone.
Cable internet 100 bucks.
Just seems like there are other costs that used to be a luxury that is now overhead.
Think of bills you pay now that you did not have 10 and 20 years ago.

I am still waiting on my Bama phone, phone, my Bama phone phone!

Tell me what was the cost of your cell phone & internet service in 1990? How about medical insurance in 1990 compared to today? All of these little things add up to real cash at the end of the month.

Well at least they can still be on their parents health insurance policy....right......ugh. Why make kids grow up anyway? Don't we all want our kids to always be kids........lol

The 80s and early 90s money was a plenty, at least for our family. Times were better and it wasn't as scary to spend the extra cash. Everything factors in today, not just gas and racing expenditures. Insurances are not as good, property taxes are through the roof, job stability isn't what it used to be. Just wait, electricity is gonna be a luxury here soon. For those that race already and have everything it's not too big a deal if your careful. A newbie to the sport, ouch. Having an 8 year old racing we are approached very often about how to get into the sport. Run down that list of things needed and watch their smile turn to disappointment. I remember in 90 we had a run of bad luck, repeated blown motors and misc. breakage. Dad came to me and said "here's the deal, we can make a go of it or we can go to college." At the age of 18 I made the smartest decision of my life. Now it's hard not to think about how much I could already have saved for my son's college future. 200 dollars a pop for local races, not counting anything to do with the bike or gear. 800 bucks a pop for a national. I don't even keep track of what I got in his machine or parts to keep it going. If we didn't have the sponsors we have. I don't know that we could do it. I dread the day that I give Jack the choice. I just pray that he makes the same one I did. If he doesn't, he's kicked out! :)

College is a scam. The agenda's at the campuses.........all aimed to get money. Big gov't and college are one in the same. They're all for you getting dependent on the gov't by letting you believe you wont be by going to college. Reality check.....4 years later and 100,000 in debt....back home with Mom and pops...DEPENDENT. College is a scam, they just funnel government money to the campuses.

I don't think i'll ever allow any child of mine to get wrapped up in student loan debt. You can do alot with $100,000, a piece of paper is worthless. (So many BS degrees....)

College is a scam. The agenda's at the campuses.........all aimed to get money. Big gov't and college are one in the same. They're all for you getting dependent on the gov't by letting you believe you wont be by going to college. Reality check.....4 years later and 100,000 in debt....back home with Mom and pops...DEPENDENT. College is a scam, they just funnel government money to the campuses.

I don't think i'll ever allow any child of mine to get wrapped up in student loan debt. You can do alot with $100,000, a piece of paper is worthless. (So many BS degrees....)

Bachelors of Science=BS

If you're taking $100k in student loans and not going to a private school, you're doing something wrong. The scam part is the government letting kids be stupid and take out $13,000 a year, when their tuition is only $9,000 and then blowing that extra $4,000 on stuff they should not be buying.

My household income is somewhere between $65k-$75k a year, and I was eligible for up to $20k in student loans a year for Akron. Akron's cost for tuition is roughly $10k a year, and room & board would be $7k, but I'm not even living on campus! My family lives comfortably, and is not strapped for money and they would allow me double the tuition. I can't imagine what lower income brackets are getting offered. The government is just handing out money to irresponsible young adults knowing they'll go into debt.

I'm looking at being $60,000-$75,000 in debt after going to school at Akron for one year, then going to Houston for the rest of my education. That's including room and board(for Houston) and the outrageous out of state tuition. No where near $100,000.

Three secrets to making college worth the time and money:
1) Borrow only as much money as needed
2) Pick a degree that pays significantly more than you could be making with a high school diploma after 5 or so years
3) Pay off the loans as soon as possible after landing a career instead of taking out even more loans

Great article in the Sunday Dayton Daily News. It was about all the golf courses in the area and how they are all struggling. Public or private. All the things they named as reasons for less golfers, too many courses, busy lifestyles, no one has 5 hours for a round of golf, less high paying jobs in the area, less disposable income, etc etc etc. Everything that mentioned in the article has been mentioned here in this thread. Read the article, and replace golf with MX, replace the course names with any MX track name, and it is the exact same story we have been talking about. I found it a pretty interesting read.

Great article in the Sunday Dayton Daily News. It was about all the golf courses in the area and how they are all struggling. Public or private. All the things they named as reasons for less golfers, too many courses, busy lifestyles, no one has 5 hours for a round of golf, less high paying jobs in the area, less disposable income, etc etc etc. Everything that mentioned in the article has been mentioned here in this thread. Read the article, and replace golf with MX, replace the course names with any MX track name, and it is the exact same story we have been talking about. I found it a pretty interesting read.
I hate golfers cause they ride quads.

Back