Reunited After 31 Years

evomx244

PR Addict
What your looking at is my 1982 YZ250 that I raced back in 1982. Doing a little C-List searching last night and stumbled upon it. Couple things jumped out at me "LOP" sticker on the shock reservoir / Shipps Wheelsport decal on the swing arm both of which I ran on my 125/250 that year. The rear fender still some of my decals on it, I was 99 percent sure it was my bike but, it wasn't until I was able to look at the frame and the repair that our welder had done back in 82 that I was 100 percent! Plans are to try and get it ready for Mid-Ohio ! (And NO I didn't run that goofy Cycle AM front fender)

Attachments

• My 82 YZ250.jpg
    My 82 YZ250.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 240
Wow, that's downright amazing to find a previously owned bike that's still running and in good shape after THAT long! If a person is a loyal Yamaha fan, it could be said that this is a testament to how well Yamahas are made...but realistically, probably relates more to you buying and selling a bazillion bikes thru the years!

Very Cool...I'd sure like to stumble across one of my old bikes and buy it back, except for the 1980 CR125 that I hated.

What your looking is my 1982 YZ250 that I raced back in 1982. Doing a little C-List searching last night and stumbled upon it. Couple things jumped out at me "LOP" sticker on the shock reservoir / Shipps Wheelsport decal on the swing arm both of which I ran on my 125/250 that year. The rear fender still some of my decals on it, I was 99 percent sure it was my bike but, it wasn't until I was able to look at the frame and the repair that our welder had done back in 82 that I was 100 percent! Plans are to try and get it ready for Mid-Ohio ! (And NO I didn't run that goofy Cycle AM front fender)

How's about $1K for it right now Scott? ....and, I don't really care for that year too much...lol

Seriously, I have a stock 1981 front fender if it is the same.......let me know..

Awesome find Bro!

How's about $1K for it right now Scott? ....and, I don't really care for that year too much...lol

Man, that's cold, Pit didn't even hammer him about selling it yet lol.

As KO says, we'll know it's for sale when it's near the curb.

That's pretty cool. Did you buy the bike brand new back then?
Yes-Mom/Dad purchased 125 and a 250 that year. I finished 2nd in district 11 points that year on this bike. Only reason I didn't win, was I skipped a weekend of racing and spend it with some chick I was dating in Dayton, Ohio. Points chase was that close

Pics from back in 82

Attachments

• scotts first yamaha2.jpg
    scotts first yamaha2.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 231
  • scotts first yamaha-1.jpg
    scotts first yamaha-1.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 198
Not this one Mike, I left work early yesterday to pick it up. (My wife was even emotional about finding it)

I was going to wait and post when we know more of the story but I must have touched something on this stupid phone earlier so rather the delete...

Definitely a keeper. Does the wife know how you lost the district title?

Looks like 80's era bark busters in the first photo. Was it quickly outdated on the MX track when it briefly went to the woods and then stored away for years? That's sort of the story my '83 125 that I bought new in '84 and why it still looks decent today.

I was going to wait and post when we know more of the story but I must have touched something on this stupid phone earlier so rather the delete...

Definitely a keeper. Does the wife know how you lost the district title?

Looks like 80's era bark busters in the first photo. Was it quickly outdated on the MX track when it briefly went to the woods and then stored away for years? That's sort of the story my '83 125 that I bought new in '84 and why it still looks decent today.

K01-No wife hasn’t hear the Dayton chick story (Let’s keep it that way)

The story I got on the bike was, it was bought at a forest park auction were it had been ceased. The guy said it sat in a warehouse for a pretty long time. It’s funny the bike has the same sprockets and chain/bars/ front tire as when I sold it. I finally started the bike last night and it runs Great. I have a good chance of getting it ready for Mid-Ohio. I was restoring my 82 YZ490 so most of the parts i bought for it will bolted on my 250. I even sent my Ohlins shock out to MX-Tech last month and I believe it's almost done.

I’m on the hunt for the bottom steering seal part number 93107-30009-00 Oil seal.

Wow.....That is a great story.
But then again, as I'm learning.....30 years isn't very long and goes by quickly. Most amazing is it wasn't abused, destroyed and parted out.

You have to keep this one as a permanent member of your garage. Sentimental reasoning, and is clearly meant to be. This bike has returned home!
Now my 82 will have some company at Mid-Ohio.

I’m on the hunt for the bottom steering seal part number 93107-30009-00 Oil seal.

There has been a good deal of talk on Marks Vintage site on the 82 steering stem design this year, I was involved in some of it. And one of the guys mentioned seal parts unavailable from Yamaha OEM, but you can cross reference to one that can be gotten from many Bearing and Seal supply houses. I haven't went that route yet. I had mine apart, found a bur on the frame/stem seal race surface of which I filed down. Then per recommendation, I was very liberal with the seal grease. It helped a lot.

If you come across available parts, post the info on here if you would please, and I'll do the same.

Wow.....That is a great story.
But then again, as I'm learning.....30 years isn't very long and goes by quickly. Most amazing is it wasn't abused, destroyed and parted out.

You have to keep this one as a permanent member of your garage. Sentimental reasoning, and is clearly meant to be. This bike has returned home!
Now my 82 will have some company at Mid-Ohio.

There has been a good deal of talk on Marks Vintage site on the 82 steering stem design this year, I was involved in some of it. And one of the guys mentioned seal parts unavailable from Yamaha OEM, but you can cross reference to one that can be gotten from many Bearing and Seal supply houses. I haven't went that route yet. I had mine apart, found a bur on the frame/stem seal race surface of which I filed down. Then per recommendation, I was very liberal with the seal grease. It helped a lot.

If you come across available parts, post the info on here if you would please, and I'll do the same.

Finally my 82 YZ Brother checks in !

I've been talking with a friend of mine out in AZ and he has a friend that restored a 81 YZ 125. He took the seals to a bearing/seals outfit and matched them up ! I'll keep ya posted

Check out what I bought a few years ago (I think Kurt found them)

Attachments

• WB-links.jpg
    WB-links.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 176
Buddies and I have had great help and results with seals and bearings from Akron Bearing Co. , (330)773-6855 . Not sure if they would have any cross-reference but they are good at matching up and seem to have more metric stuff than other places I've tried .

Yes-Mom/Dad purchased 125 and a 250 that year. I finished 2nd in district 11 points that year on this bike. Only reason I didn't win, was I skipped a weekend of racing and spend it with some chick I was dating in Dayton, Ohio. Points chase was that close

You mean you did all the FAIR RACES THAT YEAR. LOL

You mean you did all the FAIR RACES THAT YEAR. LOL
No Fair races back then for District 11 points

I'm not sure I have much of a shot for this ready to race Mid-Ohio it has more issues than I first thought. Missing quite a few parts, plus I'm still trying to hunt down a replacement bottom steering seal. some guy on ebay will sell ya one 140.00 shipped!

Back