When your MX obsession turns into OCD...

loneranger171

PR Addict
WARNING- Probably a long post so read only if you can relate....

I sold every bike I had earlier this year to buy a house....now that the dust has settled I realize I shoulda kept the 144 but hindsight is 20/20. As of lately and with so many of my favorite tracks having been re-opened or re-vamped I have been OCD about riding again. I look at every website selling bikes, watch bike review videos, go to dealerships with pipe dreams of a new bike, etc...

So after "looking" at 7-8 different bikes/sizes I stumble upon a 2011 KTM 350sxf online that I felt was very well priced (based on hours of research). The bike has got 50 hours ride time (per hour meter) and loaded with extra parts/goodies/etc.. except its located 2 states away....so I call the guy just to have "pretend" moto talk and ask the usual bike purchase questions and all this did was make me want it more! So I talk again with the guy and say how much I like the bike but that it's too far to drive and I'm just looking around/etc.... He then says if the deal can me made he would drive to Ohio and deliver the bike as well...WTF !! Who does that ? I know what your thinking but the guy is 50+ and sounds like a generally cool fellow.

Now the OCD part of me kicks in telling myself that based on the price of the bike and that he'll deliver for me it is a CANNOT PASS UP opportunity. The wife is anti-MX and I'm sure I will hear so much "chin-music" that I will never be able to live this one down....however I don't think mentally I am capable of saying no to this type of offer...

Has anyone else had a similar situation where your brain would take every negative aspect of buying or doing something and make it irrelevant ? At 42 I still feel like I got a few years left in me and I realize with my work schedule and finding baby sitters that I will probably only ride 3-4 times a month...

I also figure based on what I am paying for it if the bottom falls out I can always sell and not lose/or lose minimal on my investment....thats my "big" selling point to the wife....lol

I can totally relate. I have quit moto 3 of the last 5 years, only to buy another bike because I found a deal I could not turn down. I have come to accept the fact that I will never be able to stop wanting to ride, so I bought another bike last fall after taking an entire year foo.

Just buy the bike. You can always quit again later. haha

Has anyone else had a similar situation where your brain would take every negative aspect of buying or doing something and make it irrelevant ?

I recently just traded my 2007 KX250F for a clapped out 2002 RM250 (apperance wise). My bike had a few goodies on it, black wheels, exhaust, new Epik graphics, unbreakable levers, good bridgestone tires, fresh clutch, hinson basket, ect. I knew going into this deal that I was taking a lose right off the rip. Being that I have never ridden a 2-stroke big bike I was really, really nervous that I was going to regret this after the first time on the bike. I kept trying to talk myself out of it. Once I got there and seen the bike, I was really skeptical. The tires were shot, the plastics were epoxied together, the bars were bent, and the chain and sprockets looked like they were OE with 100 hours of time on them. Being that, I still took the deal. It started up nice and easy, and ran extremely good for being this age. Why you ask? I really dont know, but I will tell you what, everything happens for a reason. I am faster on this RM, My confidence is much higher, it will take me some more time to get it where I want it, but in the end I am much more satisifed with this 02, than I ever was with the 07.

I think the deal is on the table for a reason. Take it while its there. As long as you feel good about it when you see it in person and it runs strong, you can never go wrong purchasing a bike. If you only get to ride it 3-4 times a year, its still better than never getting to ride at all.

A wise, anal-OCD vet once told me: "Motorcycles were here long before her, they're going to be here long after her."

BUY IT.

I can totally relate. I have quit moto 3 of the last 5 years, only to buy another bike because I found a deal I could not turn down. I have come to accept the fact that I will never be able to stop wanting to ride, so I bought another bike last fall after taking an entire year foo.

Just buy the bike. You can always quit again later. haha

So true... So true.. Gonna call again tomorrow... Wish me luck.... Really excited about the 350 with electric start... Haha

i liked his 350 too. low end 450 grunt, wide open top end like a 250f. just dont hit the table at bc like your on a 450 luggin. youll come up short. lol hit'er with some high rpm's in like 3rd and ur good! if i didnt weigh what a 450 weighs, id consider a 350. lol

Buy the bike, and then buy her something to forget about it! Just make sure you got money for both. Obviously it's gonna be that kinda relationship and your gonna have to give alittle in order to take alittle.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't had a back injection for 1 1/2 years. My back was the reason for giving it up.
I'm fatter and more out of shape than ever, and my friend has a 09 YZ450 with less than 40 hours on it for dirt cheap.....I just may be riding again soon.....yay.

She wasn't anti mx when I married her... Lol... As like most situations I think she feels I like mx more than her. Partially true but don't tell anyone... Lol

I'm almost same situation as you and have been told by my wife of 14 years that "I pay more attention to the bike than her and if I put half the energy into our marriage as I do riding, things would be wonderful!" She's half joking and half serious. I grew up racing every weekend from 4th grade through high school. Got away from the sport for 20+ years and on my 40th B-day my WIFE went in with my mom to get me a bike (mid life crisis B-day present). Now almost 44, I've been re-bitten by the MX bug bad (yes, my wife tells me she regrets that B-day present to this day). I would love to race every weekend. However, reality is that with a full time job, wife with a full time job (working every other weekend) and 2 pre-teen kids getting involved in all kinds of activities, it's impossible to ride every weekend. I have my son into riding now and he's looking to actually race for the first time this year. I raced probably 10 time last year. Will probably only get 6 or 7 in this year. Wife's idea of relaxing on her weekends off is not exactly a dusk to dawn day at a hot dusty mx track. Nevertheless, we try to work out a riding/racing schedule together and she supports that. Point is, wives will never understand that once your bitten by the bug, you can't go without riding/racing. As I'm sure you know, you'll have to give a little (ie take her out on date nights, etc) to get your riding fix. That's not a bad thing either way. Plus, knowing I have limited riding weekends, I try to stay in some sort of shape during the week so when I do get on the bike, I don't empty my take by the 2nd lap. Also, not a bad thing (and selling point to the wife). I've also had a great time riding and spending time with my son (a great thing!). Get the bike, work it out with the wife and go ride! Life's short...enjoy!

OCD since I got my first bike at 6 years old. Run from the women who dont approve of it if not you will end up in trouble.

OCD since I got my first bike at 6 years old. Run from the women who dont approve of it if not you will end up in trouble.
Since we both got a set of twins... Getting rid of wife is no option... I'd be paying so much child support I wouldn't be able to ride at all.... She's a good wife just jealous of my love affair with mx.... I'll get her another pet or something and she'll drop it... Lol

I know I'm always bringing this up , but you guys would be perfect candidates for vintage/post-vintage racing . Cheaper bikes , cheaper to rebuild ( you can buy a half decent vintage bike for the cost of a modern 4 stroke top end build ) ,milder tracks = less injuries , shorter race days , some big events close to home , and just plain more fun ( IMO ) ! The MidOhio event is next month . Stop by and check it out .I think you guys are old enough to possibly have ridden at least some of the post-vintage iron . You just might catch the fever .

Well... The deed is done.... Came to a agreement with the owner... Ended up paying $200 more than I wanted but he is driving two states over to deliver.... I think I'll just tell the wife when it shows... Lol

$(KGrHqZHJC!FG8nVzTiFBR)OkjJ94!~~60_1.JPG

Back