My Proposal for OMA Classes

Status
Not open for further replies.

John250

PR Founding Father
Ok, might as well start a new thread on what classes we should and should not keep for next year. So here goes. Over the years we continually have added and added more classes. Extra 85, Extra 65, Extra 50, collegeboy, 2 stroke, 65/85 Beginner......on and on. We used to survive at the races without all these classes. Some of us that have been around 25+ years remember the past, and have seen the changes, and not all for the best.

Below is a list of the classes and how many entries from Sunday that need to go. EVERYONE in these classes can run other classes. For example where did the trail classes ever come from? D11 never had these classes. Put them in the 65 class. Put them in the appropriate 50 class. 2 stroke......run it in whatever class your supposed to be in. Vet sport.......not needed with vet 30 and 40.

Eliminate the following classes
Extra 65 - 7
Sr. Trail - 2
2 Stroke - 12
65/85 Beginner - 7
Vet Sport - 10 (can ride C class)
ATV Schoolboy - 3
ATV Micro - 4
ATV Mini Jr - 3
ATV A - 3
ATV a/b - 5
ATV Mini Sr Prod - 3
ATV Women - 1
ATV Vet - 6
Jr. Trail - 2
Dash for Cash

Your affecting 68 entries, but I would argue that most of those 68 will find a home in another class. You will lose some of these but not all of them. But you are also going to be shorting the day for all your workers, and making a better product on the track, and saving money on awards.

Here is my list of the classes you should run. I have it down to 20 motos. 8 minute plus 1 lap, and your close to 10 minutes a moto. 3.33 hours to run. 3.5 hours. 1/2 hour prep in between motos (prep a little around track during motos). 3.5 hours for second motos. if you start at 10, your done around 6, and I don't think anyone would complain about that. No cutting motos, etc.

New Class structure:
Pro Bike
250 A
Open A
Open B
250 B
Open C (No tripling or doubling of jumps at promoters discretion as to which ones C should not be jumping)
250 C (No tripling or doubling of jumps at promoters discretion as to which ones C should not be jumping)
Mini Jr / Women
Mini Sr
Plus 25
Vet 30
Vet 40
Schoolboy / Collegeboy
50 oil injected
50 Jr
50 Sr
ATV Open
ATV B/C
ATV Mini

Any of these classes can then be combined if there are not that many entries. This eliminates 14 gate drops from Sundays program, which translates into quite a bit of time, and I dont think affects too many people, there are still classes for them to ride in, just different classes. If someone wants to know where they would be, let me know the class, and I will tell you where I would put you.

And Chris, this is about as perfect as it gets.

i'M WITH YOU, jOHN. EXCEPT for the 2 stroke class. We had 12 in there, that's fine for a class and there's often more at big events, like OIR...

We need to get over this whole no jumping in C class idea and move on. Just cause you got the balls to hit a 100 footer, doesnt mean you can put a full lap together and run with the B class.

Yes Johnny that is a nice schedule. The ten class idea started as tongue in cheek to prove that is all you need for everyone to be available to run two classes. But of course that is not how it was taken. As soon as u talk about removing classes people say "fine, just not mine" and promoters say (not out loud) that will take away my profits.
15 classes would be fine. But I am sorry, quads and bikes should be on diff days.
Schafer, if u can jump a 85 ft triple YOU ARE NOT A C RIDER. stop sand bagging and move to the B class.
OMA, CRA, DISTRICT 11, NMA. what do they all have in common? Too many classes. Dare to be different.

I thought vet sport was a nice addition for this year. It's also been combined with the +40 class for one gate drop. I hope to never find myself in 250C with the knuckleheads.

We need to get over this whole no jumping in C class idea and move on. Just cause you got the balls to hit a 100 footer, doesnt mean you can put a full lap together and run with the B class.

X2. Some dudes just learn jumps quick, but are still true C riders.

This.

Would Evil Knievel have been an A rider because of how far he jumped? No.

Ok, jump anything you want and we will do advancements based on lap times. If you are faster the any off the class above then next race you are auto advanced. No waiting until the next year. Jump away.

Ok, jump anything you want and we will do advancements based on lap times. If you are faster the any off the class above then next race you are auto advanced. No waiting until the next year. Jump away.

That's dumb. I have a couple friends that just finished their first years that jump everything locally, true C riders. There will always be an overlap of riders being faster/slower between classes. Can't penalize dudes for progressing their jump skills.
I can see 2 year C class max, 1 year if you are coming up from minis

I like it. New class advancement process!! All we need is transponders. Thinking anyone can have a good lap or more so a bad lap. May have to base it on total race time.

John, I can see where you are getting at, but I would think that you do not sign up for any of those classes, so no biggy to you. Understandable. How about a minimum sign up-up. I could blow holes in that idea also. I'm out. You guys figure it out. I'll just show up, race my classes (if John hasn't eliminated it), go home happy I didn't spend the day riding the couch...

That's dumb. I have a couple friends that just finished their first years that jump everything locally, true C riders. There will always be an overlap of riders being faster/slower between classes. Can't penalize dudes for progressing their jump skills.
I can see 2 year C class max, 1 year if you are coming up from minis

What's a TRUE C rider anyway and how do you tell? Your comments kinda make sense, but if someone isn't ever able to run a pace at least mid-pack of the class their in and/or at a decent pace in the next class, two things:

1) They loose interest and quit racing possibly because of being the way and/or getting parked every moto

2) They are in the way of the next class's top and mid-pack riders.

Just thoughts. I do not have the answer. Again, I'm out. Y'all figure it out.

What's a TRUE C rider anyway and how do you tell?

My friends completed their 1st years riding and racing. I deff consider that Novice level. They may be doing all the jumps, but they don't have all the fundamentals of a beginning B rider down just yet, and they aren't sandbagging the races. I can tell you that their looking forward to moving up to the next class after this year is over though. They also run and struggle a bit in college B/C, but they stick with it cause that's working towards the next step. Speed has little to do with all the relatively safe big jumps at our tracks

What's a TRUE C rider anyway and how do you tell? Your comments kinda make sense, but if someone isn't ever able to run a pace at least mid-pack of the class their in and/or at a decent pace in the next class, two things:

1) They loose interest and quit racing possibly because of being the way and/or getting parked every moto

2) They are in the way of the next class's top and mid-pack riders.

Just thoughts. I do not have the answer. Again, I'm out. Y'all figure it out.

The only answer to this is make a new class.. " D " class... Non-points paying/ no award or trophey. If your just learning to race/ride then this is the class for you, want an award or points. Go to C a.k.a ( sandbagger-C)

Omg. Not another class. That is the last thing we need. I have a question. does anyone know of anyone ever starting racing in the C class and staying with it all the way to A? All A riders that I have known started in minis and worked there way up.
So you lose interest if you run 17th of 25 in the B class. but not if you run 3rd in the C class in your 4th year? really?

Omg. Not another class. That is the last thing we need. I have a question. does anyone know of anyone ever starting racing in the C class and staying with it all the way to A? All A riders that I have known started in minis and worked there way up.
So you lose interest if you run 17th of 25 in the B class. but not if you run 3rd in the C class in your 4th year? really?

I agree, but that's the only solution to this problem that's been going on forever

Mc the king of supercross started in the c class, he still holds the most supercross wins of all time. If anyone on here remembers racing at malvern in late 90 early 2000s you know what a huge turn out they would get. The 125c class would have 2 sometimes 3 classes of at least 20 riders. The woodsman quad class would also have a few groups. It would take all night, but it seemed the battle of ohio lasted just as long with less riders. The reason is track prep takes so long. Jason preps the track so much because he wants a great track. Back in the day they would prep maybe three times and that's it. The track is wayyyy better now but it takes a little longer. I hate waiting all day more than anyone,but its worth the wait.

This is NOT a C class thread. I just happened to see C riders flying triples, and it makes you scratch your head a bit. I understand people in C class want to jump. I have no issues with it. Jump away in B/C practice, and open practice. But if a promoter thinks his 100 foot triple and 80 foot double is not a C jump than do not jump it. They've done this before at other races......it is not new.

My point with the no jumping at promoters discretion in C class was because of VET Sport. This class (look back at old threads) was started because some Vet riders are worried about other VETs jumping large jumps and they are not jumping them. Maybe if the C class did not jump that same large jump, some of these C Vet riders would sign up for C Class.

The problem comes in when a couple guys that do not jump the 85 foot double get good starts, and Joey "fastest 5th year C rider in the world" gets a bad start. Joey is trying to get to his usual front spot so he airs out the big double.......and Mikey "first year C rider with great starts" goes over that double rolling it.......and happens to move from right to left and Joey is flying over it at 40mph! BAM! That's the issues with guys jumping BIG jumps in C class.

VET Sport was started for that reason.......so there is my reasoning for no jumping (only jumps the promoter feels is too big).

NOW back to the real topic.......class structure. I am disappointed more people have no constructive ideas......instead yet again another "My kid is a C rider, don't move him up topic".

I liked what Dave Smith said......"dare to be different".

Question for the promoters or Connie........why did all the "extra" and trail classes come in.......just more revenue? It just adds work and cost to the promoter for sure.

Here's an idea if you haven't raced in the last three years, and aren't currently an oma member, go buy a bike or quad, become a member, go racing, then put in your 3 cents. Talks cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back