How about mandatory transpnders?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Thinking of changes and improvements for our sport in general, how would you feel about making scoring transponders mandatory for all bikes? This would speed-up registration and results plus it would help lower the overhead for the tracks.

Everyone likes to watch live timing and scoring at all the big races and I would love to know my lap times at every race. Of course there is the down side of "just another expense" for the riders, but with the increase in popularity more companies will enter the market which should drive down the price.
Tracks would have to purchase the software and an "extra" supply of transponders (which they could rent) but would save money on scorers.

No, I do not own a software or transponder business...:eek:

Just an idea that I think has come of age.

I Love transponders.
That said, it cost the riders more money and it costs the track more money.
And yes, they still use humans...

Weren't you complaining earlier in the season about MXSports requiring transponders?

Yes Pit, I complain about EVERYTHING MXSports does. Why? Because at the heart of everything they do is to increase profits. Not a bad thing as long as you give back. To my knowledge, they don't give back anything.
And, I just love to complain.

It is not coming from "those guys"... They use it in Canada for the TransCan. I am stealing the idea from them...:cool:

There was some talk about a cheaper transponder system that uses only a Sticker type thing for the riders last year....... sounded like a good thing. Of course they need human back up to double check, but usually they have 2 - 3 people scoring...... now only 1 might be needed in a race just in case.

It's a good idea, but people don't want 3 different types of transponders for 3 different race locations....... that's the tough part.

Western Reserve set up the sticker transponders for flat track. I put my sticker underneath my visor at the beginning of the season and its still there. They didn't charge us anything for the stikcers. I believe they still did back up scoring just incase something went wrong.

I think the sticker deal might be a cool thing for a track to try.

As for the expense of transponders......cost of racing. Everyone complains about the cost, but they buy $500 boots, $450 helmets, top of the line gear, a $400 go pro, and $200 in graphics, and other bling for their bikes. BUT they can not afford transponders?? I am all for them. Tracks could have some for rental, and I bet the transponder company would work a deal to give them so many if all their riders were required to be buying them. And they were buying the software.

I like transponders.....
Just remember that tons of folks use the once a year cost for a membership as reason for disappointment.
Now add transponders? .... I don't know...

Western Reserve also used the sticker transponders (RFID label) at the 2-man/4-hour harescramble on the 8th. Works very slick. If you know where to get the stickers, tracks/promoters can buy them at $0.50 each. A rider can use the same one, well forever, unless it gets destroyed or becomes unreadable.

I have read articles and had people tell me at Western Reserve of other tracks/promoters charging $10 in addition to sign-up fees for the transponder sticker. Wow, talk about gouging/taking advantage of the riders. One fellow at a track told them he didn't need a transponder sticker. He will know where he finished without them having to tell him. Stick the sticker!

You still need at least one person doing back-up scoring just in case something would happen such as losing power to the laptop running the system, or even if someone just tripped over the extension cord powering the computer.

The track/promoter has to make the initial investment, and the pay-off should be in quicker sign-ups and more accurate scoring, plus the added benefit of giving out or charging for lap time info if people want to know. Can be used in practice sessions as well. Shouldn't be costing riders/racers any more than their normal sign-up fee. If they want to start charging for RFID stickers why not just start charging for using the porta-jons too.

Depending on the number of boxes you buy with that system, it could range from $2400-$4000 for the initial system. I have looked at it. So a promoter offers a cool new perk to racing, and he is supposed to just eat $4000?

I can't answer that.

WR bought the 4-box system which I believe was about $3,800 for all the hardware plus the software (it is Motosponder), which is similar to Mylaps or Trackside. It will import Trackside database files also. They use theirs for Flat-Track, Harescramble, GP and maybe MX. Have to keep moving the boxes for each event, which is usually only about once a month there.

I guess it's no different than investing in a new starting gate or sign-up building. Yeah, the old one will do, but do you need to or want to have better?

I still have my doubts about Motosponder due to their website looking a little hokey, and I honestly don't know enough about it yet. I'd be real interested in knowing how often do they revise their software and do they send free updates to all of the software owners?

I know all about it, been here, thought about it at great length. I guess I don't quite understand why its a crime to recover your investment? We charge fees to recover an investment. Whether its a tractor, dozer, starting gate. Regardless of the cost they are paying for the stickers, there was still a few thousand spent to make that happen. Most of the big races charge about $25 to rent a transponder from mylaps, if not more. $10 sounds like a deal. This system is significantly cheaper than my laps however. An intial investment in mylaps hinges on the number of transponders, but I was looking at upwards of 12-15k with their company to have enough transponders to run races effectively.

Regardless, you don't need transponders when you have a Connie.

As with many software products, I am sure defaults can be set to identify "active" participants. I would have no problem paying an extra $10 for a sticker once a year so the tracks can recoup the investment. If someone dose not want to shell out the $10 simply change the status to "inactive" and give them the $.50 sticker. The inactive setting would still give the track the option to score the rider but would not display lap times. I have no idea what I am talking about. I am just saying... I like the live scoring and would not mind at all to pay a little more for the option.
This is not an OMA, AMA, NMA, CRA or and other "A" organization issue. Its for everyone... Which of course, makes it more difficult to implement.

Personal feels again so no one get upset... I think it needs to be looked at as an investment for tracks and promoters. As was pointed out about we do not get charged more for a new starting gate concession stand or flag set. This is not an a la carte MX. Its an investment that will pay for itself. (VERY easy to say when its not my money...it will pay for itself...see I said it again...easy) Much more then 5K can be made over time.
In fact studies show a track will make $213,093 more per year with the system vs. without it.... you can look it up.

Personal feels again so no one get upset... I think it needs to be looked at as an investment for tracks and promoters. As was pointed out about we do not get charged more for a new starting gate concession stand or flag set. This is not an a la carte MX. Its an investment that will pay for itself. (VERY easy to say when its not my money...it will pay for itself...see I said it again...easy) Much more then 5K can be made over time.
In fact studies show a track will make $213,093 more per year with the system vs. without it.... you can look it up.

Provide study please. If you point to the Nationals, then your claim is null and void.

How many riders, racers, and/or spectators come through the gate in a year for all practices and races in a year? Asking of any promoter. No one in specific. Divide $4000 by that # and if it makes sense, put that amount in a piggy bank for the following year.

Or take 50 cents from every paid admission until you have 4 grand. Of course you may need 5 grand by then, but you get the point.

Make a rule that all promoters in association has to have them by 2015. I dunno. Just ideas.

I've been doing that for years for my new bike. Sure, my piggy bank is empty, but you're better that me, right? :)

I agree that you should be able to recoup your investment. Are you talking $10 a race or $10 a season? $3,800 could be recouped pretty quick at $10 a season. If someone ruined their RFID tag and needed a new one, have them pay another $5 or $10.

Why couldn't all OMA tracks get on board with this and share in the expense? You don't overlap race weekends so you could share the transponder units. Every track could use the same database so most riders will already be entered.

If it cost a concession stand 25 cents for a hotdog, bun, ketchup, mustard and onions, I'm OK paying a dollar or two for that, but not $5.

If it cost a concession stand 25 cents for a hotdog, bun, ketchup, mustard and onions, I'm OK paying a dollar or two for that, but not $5.[/QUOTE]

speaking of that... Do you know that a track (which will go un-named) in the SW series charged me $3.50 for a hot dog... and not even a jester of a "handy"

Maybe they should rename that track "KY City"... I sure could have used some.

Back