How long was that moto?

Its always been cold here in the winter and our riders are not doing as good on a national level. Its just a fact.
Why not try something to help our kids develop better skills, AND provide a better bang for the buck for the "hobbyist".

Nitro, When you go to the local track to practice. Do you ride 4 laps then stop for 5 hours. Then ride 4 more laps and load up and go home? I am willing to bet you don't. Most of the career practicers say "Why would I pay the same amount of money to race for 15 min when I can ride all day". Longer motos could possibly remove that . Why not try it?

When I'm training for 5, I ride 10. I will be sure to thank the ck1 training program when I turn pro.

if yall dont think gp's are popular checkout the J Day series. they have 600+ riders at every round, 2 -30 min motos. i raced the one they had in daytona last year during bike week but they are mostly a new england series.

"The J Day events provide the finest off road terrain for our participants but, unlike hare scrambles, enduros or other outdoor off road racing events, the J Day GP tracks are specifically designed to be spectator and media friendly. The J Days are built on a compact 1-3 mile course combining the most exciting off road terrain in the region. Our popular 30 minute “woods motos” have proved to bring out an impressive side of off road racing that the long distance survival formats fail to provide. "

8 riders signed up.

CK1, just go and buy Scenic Highlands up, get way more acres than you're thinking about now, and get some high speed long motos going again!!!! Plus they had a really cool GP track there too that you can add to the GP series.

I like long motos, I like more track time, and I like less time overall at the track for a race day...... go ahead and do it with the 15 minute motos to start with, people have to be taken into the concept lightly.

One of the best things about Loretta Lynn's itself is the 20 minute plus a lap moto. Lots of newbies to Loretta's are not ready for that long moto in the heat...... and no, the Regionals and areas don't get you ready for it. You've got to do that on your own at the practice track. When I'm serious about moto, I do 35 minute practice motos to get ready for Loretta's 22 minute motos, it's the only way to make sure you can go the distance in the heat.

The times for this set up won't work. You can't throw the checkered flag the same time you drop the gate for the next moto. You need time in between to get riders off the track and you also have not accounted for time needed if there is a downed rider or an ambulance run.

Rocket, I contacted the guy about Scenic about a month ago. He responded but when I asked for a price I did not get a response. After reviewing the current conditions of that track, it would take a lot of good dirt to bring it back. Good dirt that may not be on the property. That means it has to be brought in and that would be VERY expensive. Not saying I would not do it but the cost of good dirt would have to be taken into consideration for the sale price of the property.
I am working on a couple locations on my end of the state. With the abundance of good quality tracks in the northeast, we need to balance things out here in the southwest. Chili has proven that if you provide a super nice facility, riders are willing to drive distance and will show up in great numbers. With any luck, I may know something soon.
Lotts, You are correct, but you can still run 12 to 13 min motos and have time to get riders on and off. And If any of the classes can be combined, That makes it possible to run the full 15.
No one can account for downed riders but, if you stay on schedule before it happens, it is easier to make up the time throughout the day.

I know the dirt problem at Scenic well, rock picking is needed all the time at the place, but people really didn't like to go that FAST all the time is what really had some people upset about scenic. They used rocks as the excuse, but the real reason was the speed of the track made people feel uncomfortable. The bigger problem at Scenic is the formation of downhill rain ruts over the years that a good drainage plan would fix if the track were kept up. Scenic would be my dream place to open up again if I won the lotto and could run a track. The track potential was huge.......

And with properly placed start vs finish line, you can easily start another moto as one is finishing on the second half of a track...... having 2 groups out there at basically the same time. Done all the time at places like Red Bud.

For sure, count me in the group of people that don't like high speed tracks. I prefer more technical tracks that require throttle control and line selection. From my prospective it sure seams like a lot have tracks have moved away from the technical stuff for more of a interstate on dirt. But with some old tires and a few hundred feet of banners you can make any high speed track more technical. Just add corners. After the start the majority of passes are made in corners.
Scenic is the poster child for a drainage system. Once installed, it would benefit for years to come. The problem is that also cost plenty of money.

Your dead right on the placement of the start and finish line. I don't know why some tracks are afraid to move the finish line... EVERY track in the old distract 11 has moved the starting gate (in some cases, multiple times) and never moved the finish line??? WHY? Both Treaty and DMC now have the finish lines after the starting gate in stead of before???? The next moto can not start until EVERYONE is across the finish. Simply by moving the finish from one corner or jump to a different corner or jump behind the gate, it would greatly reduce the length of the day. Simple math, with the ability to start the next moto just one minute earlier means finishing the day nearly an hour earlier.

There are cost and time savings all over our sport. It just takes some creative thinking and a willingness to try different things to improve both.

I happened to be near SH a few weeks ago. The place needs a lot of work. The track itself is barely recognizable. The drive is partially washed away and dangerous. Huge rain ruts all over the place. Plus the dirt was bad in many places to begin with. However, it was a great layout and a good location. I would go if it ever opened back up.

Back