2004 RM 125 Project Completed

Spagina

PR Elite
Hey guys just thought I'd share my latest 2-stroke project. I picked up this 04 rm 125 for cheap - it had just been rebuilt, but as you can see was in pretty bad shape. It was a diamond in the rough though as most bearing were great, suspension was tight with no leaks, and the bike felt like it was not ridden hard (just not maintained) the kicker, footpegs, shifter, brake pedal, etc all felt showroom tight.

s1200_image.jpg

I got it home, and pressure washed it and then hit it with acid wash.

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

Next I tore it down to nuts and bolts. Sandblasted frame and used an epoxy black on it, with a 2 part urethane clear. I didn't want to dump a ton into powder because down here in VA I couldn't get a half decent price.

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

Polished the outside of the tranny cases. Sandblasted the clutch and ignition covers then acid washed them to turn them a brown color.

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

I found the stock color pink/ clear carb vent hoses.

s1200_image.jpg

When I tore the bike down I noticed a scratch in the cylinder. I checked the crank for tolerance, and it was great. I flushed the bottom end just in case. Ended up sending the cylinder to Powerseal USA - those guys were great, and quick.

s1200_image.jpg

I went with a Pro Circuit works pipe, r-304 silencer.

s1200_image.jpg

Got a full acerbis plastic kit with the 2013 front fender and plate. All new bearings, cables, throttle tube. Chain, sprockets, and bars are pro taper. New brake pads front and rear.

s1200_image.jpg

I had new stock excels powder coated black.

And here it is, done. A set of MX-51's's on it now it's ready to go. I didn't mess with suspension since the bike is for sale, I'd rather let people do what they want with it.

Here's the final pics, let me know what you think!

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

s1200_image.jpg

Spagina, you did a great job. What was the acid wash you used? Where did you get it? I've been using Napa brand Wheel cleaner, and its pretty good. Seems what your using may work better.
Nice bike.

I always used Dura Gloss 851 or 951 I can't remember, mag aluminum wheel cleaner. This time I couldn't find it so I used Eagle 1 mag wheel cleaner. Worked awesome!

Looks fantastic! I'm usually not a fan of the rockstar stuff but that bike looks great. I love how it goes from yellow to black front to rear.

Only thing I would have suggested......I learned from all the bike restores I've done that I just automatically split the cases now and replace all the seals and most of the bearings. I've been burned in the past by bikes that I thought were good on the bottom end....

But regardless, that thing is sweet!!!! The acid wash covers look really cool, great idea!

Nice build!
Wow, Looks great!
If I look at the first pic and you would have asked me...... The only thing I would have done with that, is throw it on top of Smith's fire.

Lol Marc, I know. It was listed on Craigslist with a bad pic and he said "just needs a tire and brake lever".... LOL! But when I got there it ran great, and good compression, and everything. It was most definitely a diamond in the rough.

You don't have to say.......but you probably have some $$$ in it to get it back to that point though.

But you did an awesome job. Looks great!

Actually John it stayed rather reasonable. eBay, and sponsors like pro taper, acerbis, and Dunlop
Helped out a ton on the cost.

Nice job...

I love Suzuki braaaaap! I hope you ride the wheels off of that bike!

wait till you see what pit261 does with the 2 golf carts i give him!! they will be in your drive next week pit!!!

NOT a Suzuki a fan, but man you killed it with that rebuild!! Fantastic job the bike looks beautiful.... for being yellow! haha

009.jpg
Since we're on the topic of bikes that are money pits check out my 1994 kx 125 that I've just finished. My wife refers to this bike as my "Pit Bike". Money Pit that is! LOL.

Back