Vet Fest meets Vintage Days

I understand people in Ohio from what ive read on here dont like AHRMA,but if you want to race more than 5 vintage races a year,AHRMA is about the only thing out there.

I'll renew with AHRMA, as MXkid said, not many other opportunities.
It will be dissapointing if they don't do Smith Road again. That is a fun track for Vintage racing, for folks that seldom or never get chances to race there, and has a good history. That being said, even Drew had light turn outs for both his 2012 AHRMA race, and his 2013 AMA vintage race.

Again, what are the typical turn outs for a non-vintage Vet race? It's been debated repeatedly why people aren't racing and we're all familiar with the answers.

IT'S OBAMA AND WALL STREETS FAULT ! ! ! :0

Again, what are the typical turn outs for a non-vintage Vet race? It's been debated repeatedly why people aren't racing and we're all familiar with the answers.

IT'S OBAMA AND WALL STREETS FAULT ! ! ! :0

You forgot the Unions ......

I am in.

As for no gate on your C track, go REAL vintage and use a rubber band start!

That reminds me... If someone claims to be a real racer of the 40+ category, don't take them seriously unless they have scars on their neck from the rubber band starts.

Some of my first races at the fairs I was so short I could almost fit under the rubber band. I tried it a few times and still have the scars to prove it. Those days were awesome!

Again, what are the typical turn outs for a non-vintage Vet race?

The RacerX Senior Series has pretty decent attendance, with the biggest of those being Red Bud Vet Fest. However, those are all at least 4 hours away. The closest Vet race for Ohio is High Point, but that race has changed a lot over the last 10 years and is not as well attended now.

There is a ton of potential for a premier Vet Championship in Ohio. As long as we are telling Jeremy how to run his track, here's what I would do.

- Basically copy the Red Bud Vet Fest classes, but drop and/or combine some knowing this would be a first year event and not have the huge draw Red Bud gets. For example, I doubt you would get the Vet A racer turnout that Red Bud gets, but have a couple A classes so Brenner doesn't complain, lol. Maybe +25A and +30A and the older classes get combined. But still try to have a seperate "C" class for 25, 30, 40.
http://tracksideresults.com/redbud/class.asp?s=&c=all&e=26

- Try a couple of old bike classes but don't go crazy with them because I still don't think many will show. There are some really cool ideas in this thread about the C track, etc, but you have to do what's realistic for a first year event. For anyone that remember me chasing AHRMA titles in 2009 on my RM465, I basically spent half that season at BC tuning and tweaking the bike on the C track in between AHRMA races.

- I would not worry about trying to make it any sort of warm up race for Mid Ohio. Most of the people going to Mid Ohio are too busy trying to get ready for it and won't want to break their bike that close to the Mid Ohio race.

Having a vintage and vet race on the same weekend might confuse these old folks. I can see you answering the question 100 times "hey dude, do I have to ride one of those old bikes for the vet race or can I ride my 2001?"

Regarding the vet race, why not join in on the existing RacerX Vet Series and/or the MastersMX Series. You'd obviously attract all the Ohio vet riders but you'd also get the traveling riders from other states. I'd then call Highpoint and tell them to stop screwing around with these one off vet races and join as well.

All good stuff. Pit's got a solid plan. I think you could put the down pipes on the C track. A little dozer work and they'll love it. A Rubber band start is easy enough to make. The date is important too.

This sounds cool. I think Fall is the best opportunity. I would even go to the extreme of naming it something close to the The Trans-OHIO Vet and Vintage national.

After the nationals and the before SX, I would always go to Mid-Ohio for the Trans-AM/USA race....it fits for FALL.

With good promoting and loose talk circulating to the vet communities, active and non active racers and even non-racing, old dirt bike die hards , should be able to make it a fun event. Swap meet action helps draw non racers and spectators and hobbiest bike builders and adds to the environment.

You forgot the Unions ......

Onions ?, I'm a potato man myself.

Swap meet action helps draw non racers and spectators and hobbiest bike builders and adds to the environment.

With that I would think security would need to take on a whole different light.
Up north there was some thieving going on during open rides because folks could mingle at will.
A small fee was attached to non-riders and that shut down the random folks (and the thieving) real quick.

To start you have to keep it simple. For first year. Small vintage classes. Vet battles. Sorry but no quads.

If anything sell tickets in advance and hire a company to roast a pig or clam bake. I cant tell you how much fun Chili town was. Halloween.

Flashback to 10 years ago for Scenic Vet Race......my Cyclenews article from the event. I did not race this event because I had ACL repair surgery in July of that season. I remember Double D brought a quad for me to use as a pitbike at the race....

---------------------------------------------------------

Persistent Pape Pockets 2 Wins
Midwest Senior/Vet National
Scenic Highlands Motosports Park
Newcomerstown, Ohio - September 06, 2003
By: John Kreps

Ohio's Jeff Pape used plenty of the experience he gained running Pro National qualifiers this summer to garner two Vet titles recently at the Midwest Senior/Vet National. Pape, a resident of Louisville, had his hands full in the +25 and +30 A classes, especially considering he was racing a YZ125 two-stroke against the hordes of big bore thumpers prominent these days in the age classes. His day started off in the first moto of the day with a hard fought second to Chris Opliger and his Honda CRF450. Opliger and Pape were only a few bike lengths apart the entire moto, with the stubborn Opliger holding off several late charges to take the win. Pape came out swinging in the second moto, again behind Opliger, but this time managed to get around, taking the win and the overall +30 A title.

In the +25 A class, things were a little tougher for Pape, with "youngsters" Greg Hudak and Jason Rogers added to the mix. Opliger again roared to the front, with Rogers, Hudak, and Pape in tow. Hudak was soon pressuring for the lead, and a mistake dropped Opliger back two spots, allowing Pape into second. Rogers was feeling the affects of not racing for several weeks, and eventually dropped of the pace of the three leaders. Hudak took the moto one victory with Pape in tow. Moto two saw Rogers back on track with the early lead and wire to wire win on his CRF450. The fight for the overall raged between Hudak and Pape, with Pape besting his younger competitor and taking the overall victory via a 2-2 moto score.

In the B classes, "Rocket" Robin McClain continued his dominance of B class Vet racing with a victory in the +25 B class, but a late stall in moto two of the +30 B class cost him the win. Ken Mcgowen of Bellville, Oh kept the pressure on and it paid off when McClain stalled, allowing Mcgowen to cruise to an easy win and the overall. Second place in the +25 B went to Adam Neu and his CRF450, with Mark Weininger rounding out the podium. Neu was able to salvage a podium spot in the +30 B as well, after a tough first moto left him in sixth. The Wapakoneta native turned it around in moto two with a fine third place moto finish, and overall. Don Ruble dominated the +40 B and +45 classes, winning all four motos. Blaine Ducaster also won both motos of the Senior +50 class.

Some of the most popular classes these days, the C classes provided great racing. Mike Gerber destroyed the +25 C class, showing some of his big-race skill from recently competing at Loretta Lynn's in the 250C class. Mike Somers and Rich Silvers rounded out the top three. Silvers later avenged his loss +25 C, taking both moto wins in the +30 C. Following the Ohioan across the line was the Kawasaki of Mark Kirk of Saint Albans, WV, and the Suzuki of William Sabo of Pittsburgh, PA. Plus 40 C class saw a heated battle between the top three finishers of Marc Monroe, Kurt Mosher, and Jim Douglas. Monroe was able to work to the lead both motos, leaving Mosher and Douglas to duke it out for second, with Mosher getting the edge.

Results:
Plus 25 A: 1. Jeffrey Pape (Yam); 2. Gregory Hudak (Hon); 3. Jason Rogers (Yam); 4. Christopher Opliger (Hon); 5. Joshua Dohn (Hon).
Plus 25 B: 1. Robin Mcclain (Ktm); 2. Adam Neu (Hon); 3. Mark Weininger (Yam); 4. Shawn Gaskill (Yam); 5. David Grega (Yam).
Plus 25 C: 1. Michael Gerber (Yam); 2. Mike Somers (Suz); 3. Rich Silvers (Kaw); 4. Mark Kirk (Kaw); 5. Chris Vialand (Hon).
Plus 30 A: 1. Jeffrey Pape (Yam); 2. Christopher Opliger (Hon); 3. Joshua Dohn (Hon); 4. John Gallagher (Hon); 5. Tony Brown (Yam).
Plus 30 B: 1. Ken Mcgowen (Hon); 2. Robin Mcclain (Ktm); 3. Adam Neu (Hon); 4. David Grega (Yam); 5. Jim Griffith (Yam).
Plus 30 C: 1. Rich Silvers (Kaw); 2. Mark Kirk (Kaw); 3. William Sabo (Suz); 4. Dieter Koechling (Hon); 5. Joseph Olszak (Ktm).
Plus 40 A: 1. Robert Curtin (Suz).
Plus 40 B: 1. Don Ruble (Hon); 2. Jeffrey Miller (Yam); 3. Marc Baumann (Ktm); 4. Scott Highland (Ktm); 5. Chris Nelson (Yam).
Plus 40 C: 1. Marc Monroe (Hon); 2. Kurt Mosher (Ktm); 3. Jim Douglas (Yam); 4. James Miller (Kaw); 5. Ted Keating (Hon).
Plus 45: 1. Don Ruble (Hon); 2. Terry Deliman (Suz); 3. Todd Ervin (Yam); 4. Blaine Duecaster (Hon); 5. Jim Douglas (Yam).
Plus 50: 1. Blaine Duecaster (Hon); 2. Dennis Mcdonald (Kaw); 3. Tom Lewis (Kaw); 4. Lawrence Brill (Ktm); 5. Jerry Boyd (Yam).

I believe I was racing my 2001 KTM 250SX that day. I'm pretty sure this was one of the final races before it officially tried to kill me and I traded it for a trailer and then my first four stroke. Good times!

Wow, holding off 450's with a 125 is a cool story in itself. Video of that race would be cool for the home video collection.
Agreed on the commentary John. Gets me stirring in my seat just reading it.

Really cool being familiar with several of the names listed.

Wow, thank you. I don't ever remember reading that.I remember the day, because Marc apologized after a moto for getting "squirrely" (but he had me covered no matter what)...I was just kinda taken back by the apology...I knew I was in good company at that point.

Flashback to 10 years ago for Scenic Vet Race......my Cyclenews article from the event. I did not race this event because I had ACL repair surgery in July of that season. I remember Double D brought a quad for me to use as a pitbike at the race....

---------------------------------------------------------

Persistent Pape Pockets 2 Wins
Midwest Senior/Vet National
Scenic Highlands Motosports Park
Newcomerstown, Ohio - September 06, 2003
By: John Kreps

Ohio's Jeff Pape used plenty of the experience he gained running Pro National qualifiers this summer to garner two Vet titles recently at the Midwest Senior/Vet National. Pape, a resident of Louisville, had his hands full in the +25 and +30 A classes, especially considering he was racing a YZ125 two-stroke against the hordes of big bore thumpers prominent these days in the age classes. His day started off in the first moto of the day with a hard fought second to Chris Opliger and his Honda CRF450. Opliger and Pape were only a few bike lengths apart the entire moto, with the stubborn Opliger holding off several late charges to take the win. Pape came out swinging in the second moto, again behind Opliger, but this time managed to get around, taking the win and the overall +30 A title.

In the +25 A class, things were a little tougher for Pape, with "youngsters" Greg Hudak and Jason Rogers added to the mix. Opliger again roared to the front, with Rogers, Hudak, and Pape in tow. Hudak was soon pressuring for the lead, and a mistake dropped Opliger back two spots, allowing Pape into second. Rogers was feeling the affects of not racing for several weeks, and eventually dropped of the pace of the three leaders. Hudak took the moto one victory with Pape in tow. Moto two saw Rogers back on track with the early lead and wire to wire win on his CRF450. The fight for the overall raged between Hudak and Pape, with Pape besting his younger competitor and taking the overall victory via a 2-2 moto score.

In the B classes, "Rocket" Robin McClain continued his dominance of B class Vet racing with a victory in the +25 B class, but a late stall in moto two of the +30 B class cost him the win. Ken Mcgowen of Bellville, Oh kept the pressure on and it paid off when McClain stalled, allowing Mcgowen to cruise to an easy win and the overall. Second place in the +25 B went to Adam Neu and his CRF450, with Mark Weininger rounding out the podium. Neu was able to salvage a podium spot in the +30 B as well, after a tough first moto left him in sixth. The Wapakoneta native turned it around in moto two with a fine third place moto finish, and overall. Don Ruble dominated the +40 B and +45 classes, winning all four motos. Blaine Ducaster also won both motos of the Senior +50 class.

Some of the most popular classes these days, the C classes provided great racing. Mike Gerber destroyed the +25 C class, showing some of his big-race skill from recently competing at Loretta Lynn's in the 250C class. Mike Somers and Rich Silvers rounded out the top three. Silvers later avenged his loss +25 C, taking both moto wins in the +30 C. Following the Ohioan across the line was the Kawasaki of Mark Kirk of Saint Albans, WV, and the Suzuki of William Sabo of Pittsburgh, PA. Plus 40 C class saw a heated battle between the top three finishers of Marc Monroe, Kurt Mosher, and Jim Douglas. Monroe was able to work to the lead both motos, leaving Mosher and Douglas to duke it out for second, with Mosher getting the edge.

Results:
Plus 25 A: 1. Jeffrey Pape (Yam); 2. Gregory Hudak (Hon); 3. Jason Rogers (Yam); 4. Christopher Opliger (Hon); 5. Joshua Dohn (Hon).
Plus 25 B: 1. Robin Mcclain (Ktm); 2. Adam Neu (Hon); 3. Mark Weininger (Yam); 4. Shawn Gaskill (Yam); 5. David Grega (Yam).
Plus 25 C: 1. Michael Gerber (Yam); 2. Mike Somers (Suz); 3. Rich Silvers (Kaw); 4. Mark Kirk (Kaw); 5. Chris Vialand (Hon).
Plus 30 A: 1. Jeffrey Pape (Yam); 2. Christopher Opliger (Hon); 3. Joshua Dohn (Hon); 4. John Gallagher (Hon); 5. Tony Brown (Yam).
Plus 30 B: 1. Ken Mcgowen (Hon); 2. Robin Mcclain (Ktm); 3. Adam Neu (Hon); 4. David Grega (Yam); 5. Jim Griffith (Yam).
Plus 30 C: 1. Rich Silvers (Kaw); 2. Mark Kirk (Kaw); 3. William Sabo (Suz); 4. Dieter Koechling (Hon); 5. Joseph Olszak (Ktm).
Plus 40 A: 1. Robert Curtin (Suz).
Plus 40 B: 1. Don Ruble (Hon); 2. Jeffrey Miller (Yam); 3. Marc Baumann (Ktm); 4. Scott Highland (Ktm); 5. Chris Nelson (Yam).
Plus 40 C: 1. Marc Monroe (Hon); 2. Kurt Mosher (Ktm); 3. Jim Douglas (Yam); 4. James Miller (Kaw); 5. Ted Keating (Hon).
Plus 45: 1. Don Ruble (Hon); 2. Terry Deliman (Suz); 3. Todd Ervin (Yam); 4. Blaine Duecaster (Hon); 5. Jim Douglas (Yam).
Plus 50: 1. Blaine Duecaster (Hon); 2. Dennis Mcdonald (Kaw); 3. Tom Lewis (Kaw); 4. Lawrence Brill (Ktm); 5. Jerry Boyd (Yam).

Just an idea here. What if we were to host an Ohio Vet Championship which included a vintage racing as well? Along side this we could have a swap meet too for the whole weekend. For the possible structure, we could do a complete vintage mx on Saturday, and possibly 2-3 sessions of GP. Then do a full on Vet style Mx on Sunday. Just something that came up over the phone with a buddy. It sounded good the other day anyway.

If you don't include Junior 25+ I'll burn your facility to the ground.

I'll be there, Prepared with 2 leg boots, crutches, fiberglass cast material and pre-printed directions to Ohio State Hospital and any other hospital other than Licking and Zanesville. Because I know someone in my family will get hurt. (Not because the track is unsafe, but because there is a Briarcliff big-event race day curse hanging over anyone with the last name of Baker.)

Talent Show saturday night:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/62apDn1D92E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you don't include Junior 25+ I'll burn your facility to the ground.

I'll be there, Prepared with 2 leg boots, crutches, fiberglass cast material and pre-printed directions to Ohio State Hospital and any other hospital other than Licking and Zanesville. Because I know someone in my family will get hurt. (Not because the track is unsafe, but because there is a Briarcliff big-event race day curse hanging over anyone with the last name of Baker.)

Talent Show saturday night:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/62apDn1D92E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nah nah nah (Aflac goat voice). The Saturday talent show will be a pants off dance off amongst the vet wives, ex wives, and girl friends. Winner gets to be in the BC calendar....

Back