Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Dano762

PR Addict
My winter project is more reducing my mass (no fun) and less working on a bike. I picked up a nice 83 YZ125 that is ready to go from a racer in Florida and am thinking about switching to it from my 79 KX250 next season. Since it is a 125 I better shed about 40 lbs to drag me around the track.

Bike 2013 2013-12-01 001 (1024x680).jpgBike 2013 2013-12-01 005 (1024x680).jpg

With the new non-current class changes, I am also thinking about putting number 762 on the 92 RM125 I use as a practice bike and adding another class on raceday.

The only bike work is some carb and brake pedal work on the KX. I plan to fix up a little MR50 I found cheap last summer and sell it in the spring to help finance race season.

So I'm be in the gym and working to strengthen my knee before the series, can't wait - for the series not the gym!!!

One other project is trying to layout a bit of a practice track where I ride. If any of you are in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area and want to help with design, it is a place we can ride together in the spring.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

DanO

rsim141

PR Member
Wow Dan - those are 2 clean bikes! I'm not up on early 90's RM's - are those the stock forks on your 125?

Dano762

PR Addict
I'm sure they are. I bought this at a garage sale a couple of years ago. It hadn't been used in years. The parents bought it for their son while he was in high school and he never used it after he went to college. He was a bit decal happy. I removed most of the decals but left them on the forks. I actually don't know if they are Showa forks or not.

Vet261

PR Addict
They are Showa. I don't know if this is impressive, or sad, but I've got most of the Suzuki stuff memorized.

The ironic thing is that my last Suzuki I owned was 1988 until I bought an RMZ450 in 2006. I spent most of the 90's and early 00's on YZs and CRs.

Very nice looking bikes BTW!

evomx244

PR Addict
I remember that RM on craigslist ? There are quite a few post vintage guys in the Cincinnati area

I'm sure they are. I bought this at a garage sale a couple of years ago. It hadn't been used in years. The parents bought it for their son while he was in high school and he never used it after he went to college. He was a bit decal happy. I removed most of the decals but left them on the forks. I actually don't know if they are Showa forks or not.

Dano762

PR Addict
That was probably it. I saw it there also and was intrigued because it looked fairly original. The parents and their 35 year old son were clearing things out and it had to go. I didn't try to start it at the time; the price was worth the gamble. I cleaned the carb, changed the fluids, and put in a new air filter to replace the crumbling one. It fired right up and runs like a low hour bike. I had the suspension serviced and put new tires on it. It is a really fun bike to ride.

The 1992 RM250 big brother in Sandusky is haunting me right now. I am trying hard to resist the temptation, but the seller has dropped the price again. If someone else grabs it up (hint, hint), I won't have to look everyday to see if it is sold.

Dano762

PR Addict
It is impressive. I am amazed at how much this group knows collectively and really enjoy the forum. Thanks for the information. Also thanks for heading over, looking, and reporting on the 92 RM250 in Sandusky. Your report has saved me money and time. When I get temped by the price drops I go back and look at the summary your wrote. It has kept me sane for now. I don't need it; yes I do, no I don't , yes I do...........

Vet261

PR Addict
That bike is haunting me now too since he's dropping the price. Originally he was firm on the price so I passed.

One other thing I forgot to mention that turned me off, was that the carb boot was partially off the carb upon really looking. So no idea how long he's been riding it with air/dirt going directly into the carb.

new winter project....1974 Elsinore 250 :)

Always wanted one since I was 16 years old,but the old man said "NO" now that I'm 56 years old I can buy it myself.:p

Attachments

• IMG_0376[1].jpg
    IMG_0376[1].jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 310

rsim141

PR Member
Always wanted one since I was 16 years old,but the old man said "NO" now that I'm 56 years old I can buy it myself.:p

Now THAT is inspiration! Just like model-building as a little tyke, it is so awesome to be able to take what you always wanted (or had "back in the day") and re-create it right before your eyes - I love it! And now with vintage racing, we can all go out and actually race the damn things again!

baxterj787

PR Addict
Sorting out / rebuilding / revalving an essentilly "free" 99 KTM 250SX! Massive WP 50mm conventional forks, big torque from the motor, and a few moving parts AWOL from the rear end. This will be a good winter!

smitty

PR Addict
IMG_20131101_180530_498.jpgand now for something completely differant,my 71 BSA250 together and running,giant rear shocks were off cannondale ATV and most likley be replaced,honda forks,kaw front wheel,3rd carb was the charm as the bike really likes the chinese kehin peice I picked off ebay for $20 will idlle down to nothing and keep ticking,got a lot off details to tie up but pretty much done,not real fast or light but fun,most likley will have it's big 650 uncle on the lift next

k01

PR Elite
Started working on the '93 ATK 406 some time ago and then let it collect dust. Maybe I'll get it looking and running good again. But "turn-around" might be slow...

atk406.jpg