Winter Projects Re-re-re-re-visited

Vet261

PR Addict
Rubbish. I already have two 1989 RM125's in the garage.

Got the '96 RM done today. The motor is one of the cleanest I've done. Fired up, sounded good!

IMG_2206.jpgIMG_2207.jpg

Motor Before:
IMG_1957 - Copy.jpg

Motor After:
IMG_2203.jpgIMG_2205.jpg

rsim141

PR Member
The bike looks awesome John! Did you put a new tank on that or what did you do to bring it back to that good of shape?

Vet261

PR Addict
Thanks. This bike was very un-abused, just a little neglected mechanically. Tank is stock I just cleaned it off. It's got a few scratches when you look at it in person. I think this is the first restore I've done that I didn't have to refinish the tank.

Vet261

PR Addict
What do you use to get the motor so clean? It looks great in the pics?

Entire motor was disassembled, all new bearings, seals, topend, cylinder replated. Glass beaded cases and all non-painted parts. Carb was degreased and then soda-blasted.

I added a "before" motor pic to above post. I forgot how grungy that thing was.

Dano762

PR Addict
That is amazing work!!! The entire bike is so impressive looking.

On a related topic, and I have only myself to blame. I posted a picture of my '92 RM125 and bragged it up a little as not needing any work. Of course saying that about it demands that it had an apparently catastrophic engine failure the very next time I started it. I have not pulled the head yet but something let go and I have no compression at all now.

Im looking for a recommendation for an engine rebuilder. I am OK with a top end but not a complete rebuild. I e-mailed a shop I found on this site called JDPerformance and he seems pretty good.

Any leads or recommendation for rebuild shops or services would be appreciated, Thanks.

Vet261

PR Addict
That sucks!

Dan at your location you need to get to know EVO244MX on here! He's in Cincy. I'd be more than happy to help, but I'm all the way up by Cleveland.

evomx244

PR Addict
The 89 CR sporting a new DEP exhaust system and backgrounds

Attachments

• 1989 CR250-2.jpg
    1989 CR250-2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 299

k01

PR Elite
The 89 CR sporting a new DEP exhaust system and backgrounds

The CR out there for curb appeal? Pretty it up to let it go? If it's staying, it stays close to the house. That's the evo way! Good to hear the TM will get a test...

evomx244

PR Addict
The CR out there for curb appeal? Pretty it up to let it go? If it's staying, it stays close to the house. That's the evo way! Good to hear the TM will get a test...

Naw I'm keeping the CR for a while, I sort of dig it