Nice 96 RM250 in Columbus

Guys - what's the story with mid-90's RM 250 engines? I read something about power valve problems...is there any particular year to steer clear of?

I've got my '82 project for nostalgic reasons but looking for something more competitive to do some vintage racing. Are the '96's ok?

Eric Gorr's 2 stroke tuning book has a lot of info on model years in the mid 80s to early 2000s. Below is a link to the Suzuki section and also a general comment on the 1996 RM250 linkage, he also mentions the powervalve...neither issue would seem to be a deal breaker. I had a 1985 RM250 back in the day and currently have an 84 RM250 and I like the bike (other than the swayback crappy seat). Yet, Eric Gorr does refer to those model years as being slow, top heavy trailbikes. My 85 RM250's engine is stock and I don't consider it to be slow!

"The 1996 RMs were delayed hecause the top shock mounts were welded to the frames in the wrong position. Soon after the bikes were released, the shock lingage was recalled. Suzuki replaced the original linkage wirh a new-and-improved uniy. The new unit still requires frequent maintenance and should be inspected for cracks near the pivot holes."

http://www.eric-gorr.com/incl/pdfs/modeltuningtipsSuzuki.pdf

Mark, I had a '85 RM250 too back in the day. Never rode on a better suspension system, but lost confidence in Suzie trannies - after winning at HH, I went to a LL qualifier the next weekend at Steel City and 3rd gear broke the first lap if practice. I heard it happening on other guys bikes too and went to Honda and Kaw after that (until I discovered KTM).

Joe, I must've lucked out by not having any tranny issues with my 84 RM250s. I rode the 84 RM250 from back in the day for 2 years and I've had the current one for 3 seasons and it's doing ok too. Now, I DID have a 78.5 RM250 that let loose of 3rd gear after having the bike for 2 years.

Hey Mark - how long have you been running the '84 RM?
I've picked up '82 & '84 RM250's as "buried-in-the-barn" winter projects. Rough, but salvageable and because I raced these RM's new back in the '80's there's a lot of great memories associated!

How about some pics of the buried in the barn bikes?

Hey Dave - had to get my phone & download some pics to the PC - here's the '82 - It was outside under a tarp when I found it and it really looks bad but it'll be awesome when I'm done! A dog had gotten ahold of the plastic and seat but the tank is good... check the mouse nest in the damn airbox!

IMG_00000678.jpgIMG_00000680.jpgIMG_00000692.jpg

'84 pics to follow...

Nice!! I'm done with my projects and sort of looking for another one. If you come across one let me know.

here's the '84 - on both bikes I think a couple of kids & a can of blue paint were involved! Check out that custom "safety seat" with the 2 bolts holding down the rear (yeeow!) All the parts were there including DG pipe & silencer.

IMG_00000780.jpgIMG_00000745.jpg

I have two '96 RM's, a 250 and a 125 along with my '13 Husky TC449. Sort of looking around for an air cooled 250. KRH let me race their '80 KX250 at mid-Ohio a couple of years ago and it was a real hoot!

kx250 mid-ohio.jpg

Back