Nice 96 RM250 in Columbus

'84 RM 250 project

Think I'm going to let the '84 project go...time, room, funds etc...

Dave - if you know any fellow PR's that might be interested, let me know - guess I'll throw it up under "Bombers" and see how it goes. If I had a covered trailer, I'd bring it to the banquet!!

IMG_00000818.jpgIMG_00000822.jpgIMG_00000821.jpg

Hey Mark - how long have you been running the '84 RM?
I've picked up '82 & '84 RM250's as "buried-in-the-barn" winter projects. Rough, but salvageable and because I raced these RM's new back in the '80's there's a lot of great memories associated!

I've had my 84 for 3 seasons now and it's been a great bike. Suspension was good to start with but is even better after doing gold valves and stiffer springs front and back. Motor is stock except for a PC pipe I found at Dennis Kirk, runs well as I had 13 consecutive holeshots over the course of 2 years in the EVO 50+ class. As mentioned earlier, I just need to sort my seat situation out. Kreps or Babet...do either of you guys still have your fat custom seats that you might want to sell as I think you both went back to the stock seat. For some reason the Hi-Flite foam and cover I bought didn't turn out to be like the ones you guys ended up getting from them.

Yep, the foam on my original fat funky seat pooped out to the point that I was sinking down into it too much, that makes it harder to move back and forth when my butt is on the seat (which is probably too often).

I had a 96 RM250 that I purchased new.
It was one of the best bikes I have had.
If I remember right the 96 was released a year earlier than it should of been
Suzuki was in kind of a slump with bad pr at the time so they released the bike as a 96 when it wasn't suppose to be released
till 97.
The magazine reviews were all good and the bike was actually good for that time
It had good bottom end and handled good,the headshake was way better than previous RMs
I have ridden RMs since 1978 and have always been a big fan of Suzukis
They got a bad rap when Mcrath went to team Suzuki about that time frame.
Seems he didn't like the forks so Suzuki flipped them back over shortly after that.
It was the best RM I had until the 2004 model when it was really sweat
I didn't have any problems with my 96 except when it was brand new
Some units came thru missing a c-clip on the water pump and they were recalled to be fixed
Mine was one of those,the water pump was inside the cases so the motor cases had to be split
to get to the pump.
Other than that it ran fine.
Seems to me I put a FMF fatty pipe and flywheel weight on mine for hare scrambles

Back