Shouting at a brick wall (The price of bikes)

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Now I have been in automotive manufacturing for 20 years so I get it when it come to product pricing, the pieces are not cheep, BUT... How can Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki all make 250CC 4 stoke street bikes with all the bells and whistles and sell them for $3990 to $4449 but their motocross bikes with the same size engine sell for $7500???? A freaking Ninja 250R has an MSRP of $4449... WTF? Yes they make and sell more (I assume) but can it really cost that much less to make a crouch rocket?
Motocross bike = No head or tail light, no turn signals, most don't have electric start so no battery either, No huge fairing hanging off the front and no BS "road legal" requirements.
PLUS, motocross bikes are going to break which means they are going to make money on replacement parts as well... There has to be a little Japanese dude in a cubicle somewhere laughing his ass off that we keep buying these bikes.

OK, I feel better... Can someone co-sign for me?

Its the bells and whistles that make all the extra cash. Not much to upgrade on a MX bike besides the engine, wheels, and suspension.

Now I have been in automotive manufacturing for 20 years so I get it when it come to product pricing, the pieces are not cheep, BUT... How can Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki all make 250CC 4 stoke street bikes with all the bells and whistles and sell them for $3990 to $4449 but their motocross bikes with the same size engine sell for $7500???? A freaking Ninja 250R has an MSRP of $4449... WTF? Yes they make and sell more (I assume) but can it really cost that much less to make a crouch rocket?
Motocross bike = No head or tail light, no turn signals, most don't have electric start so no battery either, No huge fairing hanging off the front and no BS "road legal" requirements.
PLUS, motocross bikes are going to break which means they are going to make money on replacement parts as well... There has to be a little Japanese dude in a cubicle somewhere laughing his ass off that we keep buying these bikes.

OK, I feel better... Can someone co-sign for me?

You said it homey...supply and demand. Has nothing to do with cost to produce so much, although I would think R&D $$ for the MX bike is multiples more than the cheap crotch rocket. Just a guess.

If we want to fix it, it's simple. Quit paying that much for them. Yes, factory wins. ;)

Oh, and an MX bike can be "laid down" multiples more than it's street cousin and we still can ride them. MX bikes are the most durable machine on the planet!

You said it homey...supply and demand. Has nothing to do with cost to produce so much, although I would think R&D $$ for the MX bike is multiples more than the cheap crotch rocket. Just a guess.

If we want to fix it, it's simple. Quit paying that much for them. Yes, factory wins. ;)

Oh, and an MX bike can be "laid down" multiples more than it's street cousin and we still can ride them. MX bikes are the most durable machine on the planet!

I've been on both of sides, and believe me when I say updating a street bike is multiples MORE than updating an mx bike..Atleast competitively.

I used to get on this "dirtbikes are outrageous yada yada" bandwagon.

Gotta pay to play.

Wait till July and you'll find a good deal on one color or another. They're all great bikes. I paid 5990 otd for a 8600 msrp bike. Wish it was a 2 stroke but nobody deals on those. They just hope nobody buys them so they can discontinue they're succeeding so far! I won't pay 7500 for a 2 stroke.

$165 a week will buy you an 8600 bike in 12 months. Can't build a racecar or a quad for that!!! I'd say they're pretty damn cheap!

I used to get on this "dirtbikes are outrageous yada yada" bandwagon.

Gotta pay to play.

Wait till July and you'll find a good deal on one color or another. They're all great bikes. I paid 5990 otd for a 8600 msrp bike. Wish it was a 2 stroke but nobody deals on those. They just hope nobody buys them so they can discontinue they're succeeding so far! I won't pay 7500 for a 2 stroke.

$165 a week will buy you an 8600 bike in 12 months. Can't build a racecar or a quad for that!!! I'd say they're pretty damn cheap!
U obviously don't have kids... Over $600 a month to ride 7-8 months a year... I ll stick with buying good used bikes from older people with money who decides a year later there not going to ride anymore or want the next newest bike

U obviously don't have kids... Over $600 a month to ride 7-8 months a year... I ll stick with buying good used bikes from older people with money who decides a year later there not going to ride anymore or want the next newest bike

My student loans cost me a kid per month easy. Maybe two. I usually get used bikes like you said. Only reason I went new was because mine got stolen. But a new bike is obtainable with some house hold budget cuts.
12 bucks a day for 24 months gets you a new bike every two years lol.

Bikes off the showroom floor, 2003 KX250, 2004 YZ250F, 2008 CBR600rr, 2009 R6, and a just recently a 2012 YZ125.... prices of them have went up each year ive boughten a new motorcycle... Its just how it is, only one I regret was the R6, lost my ass on that... As what was said, gotta pay to play!

My student loans cost me a kid per month easy. Maybe two. I usually get used bikes like you said. Only reason I went new was because mine got stolen. But a new bike is obtainable with some house hold budget cuts.
12 bucks a day for 24 months gets you a new bike every two years lol.

I've had a $100/mo bike payment since ~2006.. when I pay them off I get sad and go buy another one. Year old leftovers arent that bad to buy new. Just paid off my '10 and stuck at a crossroads.. don't want airforks but my bike needs valves & I'm lazy. :(((((

I've had a $100/mo bike payment since ~2006.. when I pay them off I get sad and go buy another one. Year old leftovers arent that bad to buy new. Just paid off my '10 and stuck at a crossroads.. don't want airforks but my bike needs valves & I'm lazy. :(((((

Yes, I am a spring new bike buyer, not a fall new bike buyer at best...

Like I said, a 13 yz 450 MSRP'd in March at 8600 and some change. In july I had one in the back of my van on my way to Western Reserve for $5990...

In 04 I got a crf 250 brand new in April for $5121.24 out the door. So in 10 years, I upgraded from a 250F to a brand new 450 (FI with way better suspension) for about roughly $800 more, with some smart consumer decisions.....

That's as good as it gets for my 'numbers' thread. If the numbers guy wants to make a spreadsheet with graphs to solidify my point further, please do. :)

Like I said, a 13 yz 450 MSRP'd in March at 8600 and some change. In july I had one in the back of my van on my way to Western Reserve for $5990...

In 04 I got a crf 250 brand new in April for $5121.24 out the door. So in 10 years, I upgraded from a 250F to a brand new 450 (FI with way better suspension) for about roughly $800 more, with some smart consumer decisions.....

That's as good as it gets for my 'numbers' thread. If the numbers guy wants to make a spreadsheet with graphs to solidify my point further, please do. :)

In '82 my RM250 was $1999 out the door, and in 86 it was $2499 OTD. I miss those days! Riding was more fun then too, but maybe it was because I was care young and care free!

Back