Shouting at a brick wall (The price of bikes)

Been on the Kawasaki financial plan since 2007 seems to work well, $125 a month new bike every year. Just gotta keep from adding parts to that card!

Just went through the suspension and steering bearings on my 13 zook 450. 87 hours since the last time I did it. Everything came apart like new. There is good reason for the cost of newer bikes and I like it!

I used to get a new often starting in the early 80s. I started getting them on my dime once I graduated high school in 1988. Traded my bike back into the dealer every year from 1989 to 2005. I would show up with my VERY clean year old 250 and walk out the door with a brand new bike for $800 - $1000. Those days are LONG gone. Wish it were like that now. It did not pay me to keep the bike an extra year with deals like that.

Now that I have a son racing, and he races two different bikes in two different classes...........well, the new bikes for me have come to a halt, and he is the one getting the new equipment.

I used to get on this "dirtbikes are outrageous yada yada" bandwagon.

Gotta pay to play.

Wait till July and you'll find a good deal on one color or another. They're all great bikes. I paid 5990 otd for a 8600 msrp bike. Wish it was a 2 stroke but nobody deals on those. They just hope nobody buys them so they can discontinue they're succeeding so far! I won't pay 7500 for a 2 stroke.

$165 a week will buy you an 8600 bike in 12 months. Can't build a racecar or a quad for that!!! I'd say they're pretty damn cheap!

Georgie-I have a friend thinking about either a 13 450 or 13 YZ250 2 stroke or maybe even a 14 YZ 250F (No Pit it's not me), you say you wish you had a 2 stroke can you go into more detail for my friend ? He reads this stuff every day and is having a hard time making up his mind
Thanks

Georgie-I have a friend thinking about either a 13 450 or 13 YZ250 2 stroke or maybe even a 14 YZ 250F (No Pit it's not me), you say you wish you had a 2 stroke can you go into more detail for my friend ? He reads this stuff every day and is having a hard time making up his mind
Thanks

For me the 250 2 stroke brings me back to my super mini days. Reminds me of racing every weekend with my dad. This year at the high point qualifier we fell into our normal ritual and then Talked about racing most of the drive home. I think the 2 stroke has a more emotional tie in my life and I genuinely enjoy riding them more than a 4 stroke. . .

Only reason I'm on a 450 now (which the suspension is effing amazing with no work done out of the crate) is because of the deal. I couldnt find a new yz250 for less than 7299 msrp. I like the 450 but I would trade someone a 13 yz250 with low hours for my 450.....

the two stroke yz250 handles like a dream. No front end push. The 450 is unstable on the front end and I don't feel as confident going into corners. However, with different tune settings you can eliminate this. I miss my 2 stroke because I felt right at home on the bike. Everything felt right. I never doubted it diving into a corner. The 450 I doubt. Although I just need more time on the bike. I only have 1.2 hours on my 450.

For me the 250 2 stroke brings me back to my super mini days. Reminds me of racing every weekend with my dad. This year at the high point qualifier we fell into our normal ritual and then Talked about racing most of the drive home. I think the 2 stroke has a more emotional tie in my life and I genuinely enjoy riding them more than a 4 stroke. . .

Only reason I'm on a 450 now (which the suspension is effing amazing with no work done out of the crate) is because of the deal. I couldnt find a new yz250 for less than 7299 msrp. I like the 450 but I would trade someone a 13 yz250 with low hours for my 450.....

the two stroke yz250 handles like a dream. No front end push. The 450 is unstable on the front end and I don't feel as confident going into corners. However, with different tune settings you can eliminate this. I miss my 2 stroke because I felt right at home on the bike. Everything felt right. I never doubted it diving into a corner. The 450 I doubt. Although I just need more time on the bike. I only have 1.2 hours on my 450.

Thanks for taking the time to reply back, sounds like a lot of the older guys. I love my TC250 but I think I go just as fast on my 89 CR250. I rode a friends 03 RM250 I few times this year and felt right at home on it.

I think my friend can get a better deal on the 2 stroke actually and I think he's a bit worried about the front end issues your describing, I know the DR D engine relocate can help with planting the front end.

Manufacturer isn't giving any wiggle room on yz250s.

I got a screaming deal on my 450. The 250 was $2000 more plus tax and title fees. It made me so mad that I insured my 250 and couldn't get another one. A stock one at that!

Right now a 250t is probably cheaper than a 450 out the door.

Larry's New Ride!

Attachments

• LB2013 YZ250.jpg
    LB2013 YZ250.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 133
I used to get a new often starting in the early 80s. I started getting them on my dime once I graduated high school in 1988. Traded my bike back into the dealer every year from 1989 to 2005. I would show up with my VERY clean year old 250 and walk out the door with a brand new bike for $800 - $1000. Those days are LONG gone. Wish it were like that now. It did not pay me to keep the bike an extra year with deals like that.

Now that I have a son racing, and he races two different bikes in two different classes...........well, the new bikes for me have come to a halt, and he is the one getting the new equipment.

I think all of us riding and racing parents have been faced with this scenario, and it just makes me wish for more affordable riding in general. For this reason alone, I have metriculated back to the two stroke and have been happy since. Just picked up a brand new 2002 RM250 for a great price, and I am looking forward to having fun without the overhead! I still enjoy the four stroke, but for my money a late model 2T is just more sensible since the bike money at our house is competing with food, gas, and entertainment money just like everyone else.

Check out this PitPass Radio discussion: http://www.pitpassradio.com/podcast...hive+(Pitpassradio.com+Radio+program+Archive) . About four minutes in we are talking about lower cost bikes, and the need for our industry to address the buy-in to help grow the sport again. Off Road and MX have started to become a white collar sport, unless we can bring things back around and help an average person afford to join in.

Good discussion!

Dave

Back