Online Shopping Vs. In-Store Purchases

Nothing better than enjoying good rapport with a local fellow enthusiast owned and operated shop.

Guess this isn't a dead horse after all! I haven't been to alot of shops...as a boy when I knew we were making a trip to Kames, it was like the excitement of going to ride! If your local shop is personable and does what they can for you...support them! Kames is the only one I know of around here really investing in the grass roots of motocross...I don't get out much either! I love Kames! Thank you for more perspective on this topic!

Have a look at the 3/50 Project website. http://www.the350project.net/home.html This applies to all businesses. Basically for every $100.00 spent locally $68.00 returns to the community through patrol, taxes and other expenditures. Spend $100.00 at a national chain and $43.00 returns to the community. Spend the money online and NOTHING returns to the community.

Message to Ohio shops like Kames:
Please take over the huge vacant Super Kmart in Medina and turn it into a giant motorcycle/offroad/atv/utv superstore!

This brings up a point many are missing here. Most of the huge online MX retailers ARE STORES. Just not in Ohio except for Iron Pony.

Think about Summit Racing. To many in the country, it's a huge online retailer. To me, it's a cool car shop on my way to OIR.

It's all about perspective. How many of the people complaining about online shopping also go past local shops to get lower prices at Walmart?

Message to Ohio shops like Kames:
Please take over the huge vacant Super Kmart in Medina and turn it into a giant motorcycle/offroad/atv/utv superstore!

This brings up a point many are missing here. Most of the huge online MX retailers ARE STORES. Just not in Ohio except for Iron Pony.

Think about Summit Racing. To many in the country, it's a huge online retailer. To me, it's a cool car shop on my way to OIR.

It's all about perspective. How many of the people complaining about online shopping also go past local shops to get lower prices at Walmart?

If they took over the Super K there I would be "more supportive". If they had a good IT department they would already have an online store ala motosport/rockymountain and I would be more inclined to place my orders with them!

Speaking of Summit- They have an 'off-road' section in their store now. Helmets, boots, goggles, atv & dirtbike parts, etc. Actually had a kind of decent selection in the show room. Mostly low end stuff is what I saw but this was ~6+ months ago.

Speaking of Summit- They have an 'off-road' section in their store now. Helmets, boots, goggles, atv & dirtbike parts, etc. Actually had a kind of decent selection in the show room. Mostly low end stuff is what I saw but this was ~6+ months ago.

They have had that for a couple years now. They have been building it up slowly just like Kames started years back.

Iron Pony ROCKS!

We love going to Kames. Always have and always will. The majority of our christmas shopping is done at Kames.

I dropped $100 on goggles at the local shop yesterday!

As for the internet tax issue.............that is not dead. Everyone wants their piece in that issue. The local counties would like to get their fair share also. We will see internet taxes very soon in my opinion.

I have tried for 10 years to support local dealerships, I have 4 within 25 miles of my house that I can choose from and I do love looking at new bikes. The problem is I have to drive 50 miles round trip, pay sales tax, and still wait for them to order the parts in most cases. For a couple years two of the dealers would give us a small discount but it was kind of hit and miss depending on who was working the counter or what kind of day they were having. I have always bought stuff from the Iron Pony and love that store but its 80 miles one way and after driving there a few weeks ago only to find out they didn't have the boots we wanted in the size we need in stock I was fed up. Next year it is going to be 90% Rocky Mt. atv I have bought stuff from then since 2007 and this year I spent enough to get 3 $50 gift cards. So, great prices, free shipping (over $100) no tax (yet) most orders on my door step in 2 days and $150 to buy more stuff (find a dealer that will do that) tons of OEM parts in stock it seems like the only way to go for me.

I have tried for 10 years to support local dealerships, I have 4 within 25 miles of my house that I can choose from and I do love looking at new bikes. The problem is I have to drive 50 miles round trip, pay sales tax, and still wait for them to order the parts in most cases. For a couple years two of the dealers would give us a small discount but it was kind of hit and miss depending on who was working the counter or what kind of day they were having. I have always bought stuff from the Iron Pony and love that store but its 80 miles one way and after driving there a few weeks ago only to find out they didn't have the boots we wanted in the size we need in stock I was fed up. Next year it is going to be 90% Rocky Mt. atv I have bought stuff from then since 2007 and this year I spent enough to get 3 $50 gift cards. So, great prices, free shipping (over $100) no tax (yet) most orders on my door step in 2 days and $150 to buy more stuff (find a dealer that will do that) tons of OEM parts in stock it seems like the only way to go for me.

AND.....This would be exactly why so many people with busy lives find internet shopping so nice and convenient. I already said it...order Monday, on my door step on Wednesday and I did not have the extra trip and time to the shop.

I watched a name get pulled from a box at kames and someone won a brand new v4 for christmas. dont see many places doing legit things like that online..

Not trying to go against you on kames hooking up the v4. I love that shop, they supported me every year when I was on mini's, and I buy alot of gear from them. But you cant say that online retailers dont do giveaways. Motosport bangs out bikes, gear, shopping sprees, trips, ect for their fantasy league. As well as weekly drawings.

I also don't see online stores donating 6d helmets to an OMA banquet. Over 20k in support from brick and mortar shops this past season. 0 support from online. Not just 0, but no response from them. Not even an email back.

Not trying to go against you on kames hooking up the v4. I love that shop, they supported me every year when I was on mini's, and I buy alot of gear from them. But you cant say that online retailers dont do giveaways. Motosport bangs out bikes, gear, shopping sprees, trips, ect for their fantasy league. As well as weekly drawings.

Understandable. do you personally know anyone who has won anything from the big box stores?

ps. got quite a bit of gear for ya to buy.. lol

Now, thats the kicker. All the winners are third cousins of the window cleaners great aunt, who used to run the shipping department back when. lol.

Sent you a pm.

I have yet to personally see or know someone local who won a bike or anything for that matter. . . Probably like hitting the lottery they got so much traffic.

Back