Online Shopping Vs. In-Store Purchases

Ordering online is a no brainer, I can save $50+ on parts, buy a few other odds and ends = free shipping, I can track it's progress, and it's at my door step in less then 3 days, all while sitting in my pajamas watching SX drinking a beer. I just think shops themselves are a thing in the past other then For buying bikes.

Doesn't look like it's all that tough for race organizations to get a setup with RockyMountainMC.com

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...2E651F0BA7F206E1DE54B860E232.rm1?page=racegas

Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has an exciting support program that gives back to the riders in our great sport...

Race Gas is a free program that we're offering to help drive up response to races, rallies,
club events, membership and many other programs in the powersport industry.

Through the Race Gas program, we at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC would like to offer a $10 gift card to anyone who signs up for a race, joins your organization or attends your rallies. This program is available for new or renewing members and all of the riders at races and rallies. If they sign up, they get a free gift card in the mail. We provide the gift cards, and take care of the mailing costs, etc. There is no cost to you.
Here's how it works:

Once your organization has joined the Race Gas program, we will provide you with logos and images for you to advertise the program. We also will provide you with signs and banners that you can display at your events. After you hold an event or get new members, you send the names in a mail list and we take care of the rest.
We feel like this will increase the number of riders your program signs up. This is a great way to promote your event and, in many cases, this represents a major percentage of the cost to participate.
This program is proving to be very successful with the participating organizations that we are currently running it with.

We look forward to running Race Gas with you!

A number of years ago I returned to buying ALL my moto gear at a local dealer/shop....always seemed to be disappointed with some aspect of the online gear, usually fit. Years ago, before Al Gore invented the internet, you would pretty much have to go to a dealer and buy your gear....at least you knew what you were getting however the variety was extremely limited compared to today...so this is why we go to Kames [sometimes iron pony]...we like to see some variety and choices and have found the pricing to be very competitive.
So, shop local, especially to the shops that support local riders/riding.

I buy 99% of all my stuff at Kames. They support our local tracks and racing organizations so I support them.

In our sport there should be very few times when needing a part in 2 days is needed. If Your local shop doesnt carry things then think ahead and order it with plenty of lead time for yourself. I would hope that many racers keep commonly used parts as spares already as to not need them in a hurry.

I see the focus of where the discussion should be is already distorted in the original post as a good guy vs bad guy debate which it is not. Competition causes reduced prices and improved quality as winners and losers are determined by the consumer. The question should be "How can storefronts reduce costs and improve service to provide value that makes people want to shop there?" Kames is well run, and appears to be doing quite well. I am there often a couple times a week because I work right around the corner. I like to pick things up and look at them when I buy. I also have limitations as to what I'm willing to pay for that privilege.

Markets change constantly and business needs to adapt to compete. Simply penalizing the successful in order to "even the playing field" hurts consumers in the end as they are forced to subsidize failure in the name of nostalgia. And for God's sake people, when the federal or state government wants to levy another tax in the interest of "helping" business, don't be an IDIOT! When has an additional tax every helped you? You really thing these greedy tax sucking SOBs want a new tax because their hearts are filled with benevolence for businesses? You have to spend upwards of $200 before sales tax even EQUALS shipping costs. Sales tax is rarely a factor in buying online from another state unless the item is VERY expensive and is inexpensive to ship.

So what are ways storefronts can compete. Walmart and every other retailer has online shopping. That has been mentioned. What is stocked is a major factor. Capitalize on things that are impractical or expensive to ship, or convenience items that people need to pick up NOW. Look towards things people like to "try on" or hold before they buy. Sometimes you have to sacrifice some margin. You may have to stock some cheap, lower quality items just to offer that choice. You have a huge advantage for providing service mail orders cannot. Find ways to capitalize on that. OEM dealers, when a customer comes in and orders parts, have them drop shipped to the customer's address! Online parts dealers don't stock parts. They mostly order and drop ship.

As I said, I visit Kames often. I can easily see that the shooting/hunting/fishing is the bulk of the business. I visit the riding section to browse the bargain and clearance items. I don't buy new attire and gear annually, so not much else interests me over there. I spend far more money in the other section.

So I will ask a different question. Aside from an instilled duty to "buy local", what would you like to see in a place like Kames that would make you want to drive there and spend your money as opposed to ordering online?

I notice dealers stock much more of the low end gear than they do the high end gear. Keeps their inventory down, and have more on the shelf. But if your looking for high end gear, you usually have to order it.

I see the focus of where the discussion should be is already distorted in the original post as a good guy vs bad guy debate which it is not.

I should have thought about the title of this thread more...I didn't put alot of thought in my post...it just simply stemed from working at Kame's...so yes my perspective is one-sided to supporting Kame's which is from old-fashioned loyalty. I did state that "the intent was to see why these things are and what does a local shop have to do to survive in today's marketplace?" which is right on par with the entirety of your post. Yes, my personal bias is good vs bad in a sense...that appears to be the attitude of alot of things nowadays...another topic for another time. So no, this discussion shouldn't be about good vs bad...but what Tim wrote in far better words than I could. My attitude needs some work on this matter. Love reading your posts Tim and looking forward to seeing the crew at indoors!

Jarrett, I think its an excellent topic, especially this time of year. You framed it the way most people do. I think it could be helpful to retailers if they could better understand what the factors are that make people choose to shop online rather than at storefronts. This thread could make a great marketing survey with input from internet shoppers. I think storefronts might be surprised at how many of those reasons they could match if they used technology available.

I'll give another example. I went to Kames Monday during my lunch, assuming the place would be empty on a weekday, and that I could run in and out. WRONG!!!! I did hang around long enough to make my purchase, because the bosses were all gone at work, but..... I started thinking about Autozone, how you can order and even pay online, and then just go in and pick up your order when you get the confirmation email that its ready.

Everybody should think about their last internet order, and what it would take to make you give that order to a local store.

ya want in store deals? come see me today and tomorrow.. im helpin for fun at Kames since im off regular work and i will get ya a pitracer hook ya up on anything in stock!

Back