New 2014 KTM 85 Sxs

19watson91

PR Addict
Does anyone know much about these bikes? I have heard that these are only allowed in SuperMini classes for A.M.A. for the price is it worth it at all? Some input both good and bad would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Does anyone know much about these bikes? I have heard that these are only allowed in SuperMini classes for A.M.A. for the price is it worth it at all? Some input both good and bad would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

If you have't purchased one yet I believe they have all been gone for awhile. You might get lucky and find a dealer with one left but I doubt it.

The real benefit to them is that they are considered "Limited" bike legal. If you are racing AMA big events that have the old Stock classes in them, you basically get to ride a MOD bike in the stock class because they came from the dealer that way. It's a good way to get people to spend extra money from the get go on a bike to ride in the stock class.

Jesus H. Christmas. $6,000 for a mini bike......I better start having kids now because by the time my kid reaches the 80 class the damn things will be $8,000+

I want to say a new yz 85 in 2000 was somewhere close to $3,100 out the door..... What the heck....

So why are KTMs double?

They are no longer double. A new KX 85 is $4300. The KTMs are about $1000 more these days. But they are pretty good bikes. You pay a little more, but you also don't need to run out and buy new bars, etc for them when you buy it. Yamaha and Suzuki can not charge anymore for their 85s because they have not changed in a dozen years. Kawasaki raised the price this year because of the redesign. They probably thought their buyers would not stomach anymore increase in price than that, or they would have went a little closer to the KTM price.

KTM's have always been about a $1000 more than Jap bikes. To my understanding it is because of the money exhange when they are brought over here.

It's like anything else, it's worth what someone will pay for it. You can ask $1600 for a 1991 KX 125 all day long, but unless someone is willing to pay you $1600 for it….. it's not worth that much. And the KTM 85 SX and SXS bikes are the most current and technologically advanced 85's in the market by far. Even Kawasaki's redesign didn't include "real" forks on the bike just like the big bikes have scaled down. You get what you pay for in the marketplace in the 85's……. do you want a bike that's been exactly the same since 1992 with 1992 technology for your future SX superstar? Or do want a bike that is freshly redesigned and has all of the components that the big bikes today have with the ability to adjust components to fit your rider's demands?

They sell them for what they can get out of them, and people are happy to line up and buy them.

When I bought my son's first Yamaha, he was only 11 and pretty small. The Yamaha's are a smaller than the KTM's so it fit him better. Plus I love our Yamaha shop.

The forks on the Yamaha YZ85 are stellar. What I like to do is take the money I saved on the Yamaha and add bars, levers, wheels, triple clamps, and have the suspension reworked. The funny thing is most people I know who have a KTM still have their kids suspension reworked. The Yamaha does have linkage in the rear suspension, the KTM doesn't.

The KTM do come with a power valve which the Yamaha don't.

My son had a chance to ride Brock Papi's KTM last summer which he liked. Brock rode my son Yamaha and really loved the suspension on the Yamaha, but said he could tell it didn't have a power valve. Both boys look good on both bikes.

Personally, I think it's more about the finances that your family can sustain and what kind of dealer you have around you.

When I bought my son's first Yamaha, he was only 11 and pretty small. The Yamaha's are a smaller than the KTM's so it fit him better. Plus I love our Yamaha shop.

The forks on the Yamaha YZ85 are stellar. What I like to do is take the money I saved on the Yamaha and add bars, levers, wheels, triple clamps, and have the suspension reworked. The funny thing is most people I know who have a KTM still have their kids suspension reworked. The Yamaha does have linkage in the rear suspension, the KTM doesn't.

The KTM do come with a power valve which the Yamaha don't.

My son had a chance to ride Brock Papi's KTM last summer which he liked. Brock rode my son Yamaha and really loved the suspension on the Yamaha, but said he could tell it didn't have a power valve. Both boys look good on both bikes.

Personally, I think it's more about the finances that your family can sustain and what kind of dealer you have around you.

How did your son like the power delivery of the two? I have read that the YZ is a bit more like a lightswitch and not very broad.

Jesus H. Christmas. $6,000 for a mini bike......I better start having kids now because by the time my kid reaches the 80 class the damn things will be $8,000+

I want to say a new yz 85 in 2000 was somewhere close to $3,100 out the door..... What the heck....

Damn....I think I paid $3400 OTD for my 98 YZ125 and about 4k for my 2000 YZ125

How did your son like the power delivery of the two? I have read that the YZ is a bit more like a lightswitch and not very broad.

My son really like the KTM. He thought that the power came on really strong right off the bat and continue to pull all the way through the power-band. The only complaint he had about the KTM was he felt it was real wide. I asked him which one he liked better and go figure he said the Yamaha. Thanks son for saving me $3000. LOL!

Ooh.. Boy. Well. I can't help myslef.. Deep in KTM's here

Love the SXS's look... Looks are everything.. No? Lol! Honestly, if Yamaha made a YZ65, we would have it... Breyley's is too good to us...85 cc's in 3 years

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 256
I just bought my son a brand-new 2012 Yamaha YZ 85. I paid $3,000.00 out the door.
If you found a two year old left over ktm it would be a lot less than msrp of $5400 for 2014. But unlike yamaha, ktm only makes enough bikes to sell, not way too may to sit around on dealers showrooms.

All the ktm SXS bikes are legal in the stock classes at big ama sanctioned or ama rules based national races like RocketRobin said.

Whoever said that they arent using all the power that an 85 makes hasnt been to a amatuer national. kids are a foot too tall for these bikes hanging it out wideopen. bet you have a pipe and silencer on the 450 that you cant ride fully either!

For $600 bucks you get a fmf pipe, silencer, cdi box, billet chain guide and clutch guard, billet ignition cover with your name engraved on it, holeshot device, and graphics kit. Not a bad deal.

It really comes down to marketing and the gotta have it additude all these racers have. yes you could beat someone with a stock bike even on a 2012 yamaha, but if you didnt win and you were 12 years old would the first excuse be, i fudged that corner and lost, or my bike is old and everyone else has these tricked out ktms with pipes and silencers? thats why the people at the top of amatuer racing want these bikes and why ktm sells all of them before they reach the dealers. hate the game not the player as they say! haha

If you found a two year old left over ktm it would be a lot less than msrp of $5400 for 2014. But unlike yamaha, ktm only makes enough bikes to sell, not way too may to sit around on dealers showrooms.

All the ktm SXS bikes are legal in the stock classes at big ama sanctioned or ama rules based national races like RocketRobin said.

Whoever said that they arent using all the power that an 85 makes hasnt been to a amatuer national. kids are a foot too tall for these bikes hanging it out wideopen. bet you have a pipe and silencer on the 450 that you cant ride fully either!

For $600 bucks you get a fmf pipe, silencer, cdi box, billet chain guide and clutch guard, billet ignition cover with your name engraved on it, holeshot device, and graphics kit. Not a bad deal.

It really comes down to marketing and the gotta have it additude all these racers have. yes you could beat someone with a stock bike even on a 2012 yamaha, but if you didnt win and you were 12 years old would the first excuse be, i fudged that corner and lost, or my bike is old and everyone else has these tricked out ktms with pipes and silencers? thats why the people at the top of amatuer racing want these bikes and why ktm sells all of them before they reach the dealers. hate the game not the player as they say! haha

I love the KTM, I think it's an awesome bike. I agree with everything you said, except for the part about blaming the bike. My son knows better than to blame the bike.

I think that parents need to look at their finances and see where they are at. It doesn't seem to matter that much in the 85 class. Down at Loretta's this year it was a sea of colors in the 85 class. (The 65 class was a sea of orange).

My son is really not that fast. So were not even trying for Loretta's. We're just going to have a ton of fun this year. Like racing a couple of the amateur days at the pro nationals, racing a couple of GNCC's, a couple races in Michigan, and maybe the Baja brawl.

Back